1080p Setup Advice

So I have and older Steam library with the most taxing game being maybe Witcher 2. I am at work I'll follow up if I learn differently. So I am trying to find the most bang for the buck hardware config to get solid high/ultra detail 1080p gaming. I may partake is the obligatory holiday sales each game store has now and then which may add a few newish games but I am willing to dial the graphics back a little. My budget is $1000US give or take a couple hundred. I guess my biggest point of confusion is the processor. I understand that I am looking at a GTX1070 but for the life of me I do not know which processor to go with. Any help would be very much appreciated.

v/r

Hyturn

my biggest point of confusion is the processor

Any latest gen processors paired with 1070 will have more than 60fps in 1080p.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

For the money, it's hard to beat a Ryzen 2600 on a decent b350/450 board.  That would do 1080p all day and can even handle higher resolutions with a GPU and monitor upgrade later.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

For 1080p with older games a 1070 would be pretty overkill, id get something like a 580 or 570 and a 2600 for gpu.

580 or 570 ATI and ryzen 2600?

1 minute ago, Hyturn said:

580 or 570 ATI and ryzen 2600?

That seems to be the suggestion.  A word of warning though; AMD is making announcements about new products this month that could effect the pricing and availability of their current products.  If you can wait a bit you might have better options.

4 minutes ago, TheGlenlivet said:

For the money, it's hard to beat a Ryzen 2600 on a decent b350/450 board.  That would do 1080p all day and can even handle higher resolutions with a GPU and monitor upgrade later.

are the thermals an issue with the 2600 because I am trying to build on mATX and worry about air flow?

are the thermals an issue with the 2600 because I am trying to build on mATX and worry about air flow?

Nope, the 2600 is a pretty low power chip.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

That seems to be the suggestion.  A word of warning though; AMD is making announcements about new products this month that could effect the pricing and availability of their current products.  If you can wait a bit you might have better options.

I follow tech news pretty closely and missed that one, thank you!

The 2600 runs pretty cool.  What CPU cooler are you looking at using?  If you don't overclock, then the stock cooler should handle things.

1 minute ago, TheGlenlivet said:

The 2600 runs pretty cool.  What CPU cooler are you looking at using?  If you don't overclock, then the stock cooler should handle things.

no just trying to build a new system to handle my games, some family tasks, and the ocasional CAD project for my classes

no just trying to build a new system to handle my games, some family tasks, and the ocasional CAD project for my classes

Then the stock cooler that comes with the CPU should be fine, even in a smaller case.

13 minutes ago, Hyturn said:

I used 1600 with stock heatsink, 35c idle, 58c full load. mATX setup.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

Thank you everyone for your prompt feedback! One last question is there any prefered company to look for with the video card and motherboard? Or do most have a similar track record of quality and reliability?