Looking for a productivity-oriented mouse

IAmAndre

Hi,

I got a Logitech M720 mouse on Black Friday. I've been using it for a few weeks now and I kinda like it. However I hate the fact that it doesn't work on many surfaces and (at least) my unit has some hiccups even when used directly on a wooden desktop. I've contacted the Logitech customer support about the issue but I'm considering returning it.

So I'm looking for replacement recommendations. I really love the extra buttons and customization/gesture features on this one, so I would like something similar. However I also want to play games with it, although it's far from my primary activity so productivity is my first concern. The one that comes to my mind is the MX Master 2S but it's more expensive now and I don't like the placement of the back/forward buttons.

Let me know your thoughts.

I use a Razer Deathadder Chroma, very cheap on the pre-owned market, works on my wooden desk surface fine for the past 6 months. It has nice customizable lighting, and has two buttons, I do not know how many you require, but it works great for me. Purchased mine for around 20 pounds, which translates to 25 usd.

6 minutes ago, HtieCavs said:

I use a Razer Deathadder Chroma, very cheap on the pre-owned market, works on my wooden desk surface fine for the past 6 months. It has nice customizable lighting, and has two buttons, I do not know how many you require, but it works great for me. Purchased mine for around 20 pounds, which translates to 25 usd.

I forgot to mention that I like them wireless. Actually the fact that I can use the receiver and Bluetooth is very convenient since I can use it on my desktop and my tablet when I'm on the go.

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

I forgot to mention that I like them wireless. Actually the fact that I can use the receiver and Bluetooth is very convenient since I can use it on my desktop and my tablet when I'm on the go.

Fair enough, not educated on wireless mice, sorry.

All I can say is a had 2 razer nagas for over 2 years each and they were both fantastic. I used at least half of the keypad almost every day.

Wireless MMO mice, I am not knowing. I mostly use a G602 now, but the 6 buttons on the side are basically useless to me. It has worked on every surface I tired in my home though. 

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

12 hours ago, IAmAndre said:

However I hate the fact that it doesn't work on many surfaces and (at least) my unit has some hiccups even when used directly on a wooden desktop

Because it uses OPTICAL not LASER.

Mx Master 2S use laser and laser aren't that good for gaming especially if you are a serious FPS player.

But if you're not then You can grab the roccat tyon (not wireless) or Mx Master 2S.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

1 hour ago, Hiya! said:

Because it uses OPTICAL not LASER.

That's good to know. Which surfaces should be used for optical sensors? I am not a serious gamer by any means but why are laser mice not good for gaming?

3 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

That's good to know. Which surfaces should be used for optical sensors? I am not a serious gamer by any means but why are laser mice not good for gaming?

Optical will struggle on tracking white/transparent/glossy surface.

You should use a mousepad preferably cloth if you are using optical.

Because laser has inconsistent tracking and acceleration issues making it imprecise and inaccurate.

Its their nature because it track so deep into the surface and reveals unnecessary information for the sensor to work with especially on clothpad.

The main issues..the most noticeable issues of laser sensor is that when you move your mouse very slowly the sensor wont be able to pickup your movement so the cursor will stay and if you manage to move it (slowly) the cursor will go up and down (jittery)..lastly if you whip it, the sensor will lose track for example if you move your mouse very fast to the left..your character in game will look up or down and vice versa.

But again since you are not a serious gamer you'll probably be fine with it

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

3 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

Optical will struggle on tracking white/transparent/glossy surface.

I've been using my current mouse directly on my wooden desk for the past few days and I'm noticing some hiccups here and there. It's not particularly glossy but those hiccups happen mostly when I move the mouse very slightly. Not all the time, but at least once every day. Is this a faulty unit?

2 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

I've been using my current mouse directly on my wooden desk for the past few days and I'm noticing some hiccups here and there. It's not particularly glossy but those hiccups happen mostly when I move the mouse very slightly. Not all the time, but at least once every day. Is this a faulty unit?

Try use mousepad (cloth) and if the problem disappear then its not a faulty unit..its simply cant track well on that surface

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

Try use mousepad (cloth) and if the problem disappear then its not a faulty unit..its simply cant track well on that surface

It happens on the mousepad too, but I'm not sure if that's because it's getting used and has a white spot in the middle. I bought a new mousepad though and it just can't track on it, probably because it's too reflective.

6 minutes ago, IAmAndre said:

It happens on the mousepad too, but I'm not sure if that's because it's getting used and has a white spot in the middle. I bought a new mousepad though and it just can't track on it, probably because it's too reflective.

How long have you used the mouse?

Don't buy a glossy hardpad for an optical it wont track well.

Use a cloth mousepad

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Just now, Hiya! said:

How long have you used your the mouse?

About 2 weeks. I can still return it.

1 minute ago, IAmAndre said:

About 2 weeks. I can still return it.

return it and get a better one

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]