Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Help Me Please

PSU HELP
 Share

So, I was on vacation when I decided to buy a GTX 1060 3gb off of amazon for $200, not being home I couldn't check the watts of my power supply, now being home I see it's 350 when the gtx 1060 recommends 400, I'm not expert, I can't install a new power supply and I was wondering if I should be okay to use my new GPU.

 

Specs (Currently):

GPU: GT 730

CPU: AMD FX-4300

MB: GA-73LMT-USB3 

Ram: Single Channel 8GB DDr3

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

That recommendation starts at 400, since a significant amount of the consumers use low quality power supplies. If you're a bit under, and have a quality unit with enough watts going to the GPU you should be fine. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Wufflez said:

That recommendation starts at 400, since a significant amount of the consumers use low quality power supplies. If you're a bit under, and have a quality unit with enough watts going to the GPU you should be fine. 

Thank ya, I was a bit worried tbh, my PSU is a AI-8360btx

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, PSU HELP said:

Thank ya, I was a bit worried tbh, my PSU is a AI-8360btx

Yeah, you're gonna need a new PSU

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Wufflez said:

Yeah, you're gonna need a new PSU

Well crap

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, PSU HELP said:

Well crap

Installing a new one isn't the hardest thing to do. I'm guessing you have a pre-built computer? Which is it?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I  use mine with 650 and wonder occasionally if i should have aimed for 800 instead

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Christiaan21-03 said:

I  use mine with 650 and wonder occasionally if i should have aimed for 800 instead

No need, that's overkill. There's something called an efficiency curve 
Image result for power supply efficiency curve
If you have a power supply, you want your wattage to land somewhere in the middle. If you have a high wattage power supply, and you don't pull much ~200-300 watts. Then it will "perform" worse than a lower wattage unit. I'd say 650 is perfectly fine for a 1060

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

No need, that's overkill. There's something called an efficiency curve 
Image result for power supply efficiency curve
If you have a power supply, you want your wattage to land somewhere in the middle. If you have a high wattage power supply, and you don't pull much ~200-300 watts. Then it will "perform" worse than a lower wattage unit. I'd say 650 is perfectly fine for a 1060

If I try it will anything bad happen or is it worth a shot?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, PSU HELP said:

If I try it will anything bad happen or is it worth a shot?

It would probably boot up fine. But if you put any kind of load on it, examples: gaming, editing, steaming, etc., if the over voltage protection works as designed. Your system will suddenly shut off. If the voltage protection doesn't work, you'd hear a loud crack, system would shut off. Power supply will be dead, but when power supplies die, they usually don't just die alone. They usually kill the some or all components that they're connected to. Like the Motherboard, CPU, Hard drives, Graphics card, etc. In the worse case and unlikely case scenario, they start a fire. They're the heart of the system, and that is why we always recommend that you don't cheap out on them. This is usually our biggest problem with pre-builts. They usually cheap out on the power supplies, and when they do. We won't recommend them. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Wufflez said:

It would probably boot up fine. But if you put any kind of load on it, examples: gaming, editing, steaming, etc., if the over voltage protection works as designed. Your system will suddenly shut off. If the voltage protection doesn't work, you'd hear a loud crack, system would shut off. Power supply will be dead, but when power supplies die, they usually don't just die alone. They usually kill the some or all components that they're connected to. Like the Motherboard, CPU, Hard drives, Graphics card, etc. In the worse case and unlikely case scenario, they start a fire. They're the heart of the system, and that is why we always recommend that you don't cheap out on them. This is usually our biggest problem with pre-builts. They usually cheap out on the power supplies, and when they do. We won't recommend them. 

Thanks for the help, mind linking me your psu on amazon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, PSU HELP said:

Thanks for the help, mind linking me your psu on amazon?

Haha np. I wouldn't recommend my power supply first. You can find better ones for the price nowadays. I'll have a look on what's priced good atm. I assume you're on a low budget?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Wufflez said:

Haha np. I wouldn't recommend my power supply first. You can find better ones for the price nowadays. I'll have a look on what's priced good atm. I assume you're on a low budget?

Not necessarily, I have money to spend, but the lower the better, know what i mean?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, PSU HELP said:

Not necessarily, I have money to spend, but the lower the better, know what i mean?

Sure. May I have the model of the 1060 you went with?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wufflez said:

Since money isn't a huge issue, I'll start you at higher quality units.

If you're willing to do rebates:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1285910-REG/evga_110_bq_0650_v1_nex_650bq_bronze_power.html

Let me know if these will do it for you

Seriously? The 650W and down BQ's clock in at tier 4 on the LTT PSU tier list, which is synonymous to "garbage".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Your power supply is a ticking time bomb, you should be afraid to even boot your PC with it installed. It can destroy itself or something else any moment.

Even if it wasn't a bomb, it only has 120W available on the 12V rail - the one used by 90% of components in the PC.

 

Buying a GTX1060 will hardly help, since your processor is extremely slow - it's a glorified dual core. I think you should save up money for a general upgrade rather than buying a graphics card just to get heavily bottlenecked.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, ears_ears said:

Seriously? The 650W and down BQ's clock in at tier 4 on the LTT PSU tier list, which is synonymous to "garbage".

Oops! Thank you! I must of thought it said GQ. I'll remove it from the suggestions

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

GPU manufacturers recommend power supply while considering,

a) a low quality power supply that can’t actually deliver its rated wattage

b) the rest of the system being power hungry

 

Your power supply, the AL-8360BTX, doesn’t look too promising. 

The 12V rail is the important one, where most of your power comes from.

Your unit has 120W on 12V1 and 156W on 12V2. Unfortuneately Allied doesn’t provide an overall 12v rating.

I’d think 12V1 is just for CPU and 12V2 is for the rest.

 

Doesn’t look like any APFC, group regulated, and the manufacturers test result on a similar model is way out of spec: http://www.apextechusa.com/support/certificates/AL-YYYYSFX(UL).pdf

 

But your PSU comes in BTX form factor. So I believe you’d need to replace it with another BTX PSU.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, PSU HELP said:

Specs (Currently):

GPU: GT 730

CPU: AMD FX-4300

MB: GA-73LMT-USB3 

Ram: Single Channel 8GB DDr3

If you're looking at playing modern games, I think it's time to consider a new system.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×