Will ESD shoe straps work on hardwood floor?

FiredDionysus

Hey all, this is going to be my first post here and it’s a little random. So I work for Oracle and at work we are supplied these ESD straps just like the ones you wear on your wrist but these are on your shoes. Here is a link to some if you need a better idea of what I’m talking about (http://www.correctproducts.com/ESD-Cleanroom-Products/ESD-Heel-Shoe-Straps/3M-2044-Economy-Heel-Grounder.html) I was just curious if these would still work to ground me on hardwood floor? I am going to be moving into my new place is a couple days and everything is hardwood except for the bedrooms so if I could use these instead of annoying wrist straps that would be awesome! Sorry for the random weird question and thanks for any help or advice you can provide!

9 minutes ago, FiredDionysus said:

Hey all, this is going to be my first post here and it’s a little random. So I work for Oracle and at work we are supplied these ESD straps just like the ones you wear on your wrist but these are on your shoes. Here is a link to some if you need a better idea of what I’m talking about (http://www.correctproducts.com/ESD-Cleanroom-Products/ESD-Heel-Shoe-Straps/3M-2044-Economy-Heel-Grounder.html) I was just curious if these would still work to ground me on hardwood floor? I am going to be moving into my new place is a couple days and everything is hardwood except for the bedrooms so if I could use these instead of annoying wrist straps that would be awesome! Sorry for the random weird question and thanks for any help or advice you can provide!

Not really since the polish will generally be non conductive. It will help some though. 

You can get a conductive mat for your work area (save the wooden floors from your chair too) and that would work with the foot strap. 

Also if you're not moving around then touching a ground such as bare metal in a case that's plugged in (doesn't have to be switched on) every so often will ground you enough for most tasks.

@FiredDionysus Unless your daily routine includes you wearing your wollen socks and going back an forth over a rug for 10 minutes, you have little to fear about static electricity killing whatever you are working on. Like r4tch3t said just touch something grounded (that has bare metal) and you will be fine.