Fans more than I can connect

gunariks177

Hello, I've bought a completely new case and motherboard for my pc. The case has 2 fans, but i can only plug in 1 into my motherboard. My motherboard is - Asus Prime B450M K, and my case is - Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3. I was wondering, is there anything that I can do? And how much fans should I need for my pc? It's 1070 Ti with Ryzen 5 2600. I'm okay with just pluging it to my PSU, but how? What do I need to be able to do that?

2 minutes ago, gunariks177 said:

Hello, I've bought a completely new case and motherboard for my pc. The case has 2 fans, but i can only plug in 1 into my motherboard. My motherboard is - Asus Prime B450M K, and my case is - Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3. I was wondering, is there anything that I can do? And how much fans should I need for my pc? It's 1070 Ti with Ryzen 5 2600. I'm okay with just pluging it to my PSU, but how? What do I need to be able to do that?

You can buy fan splitters. They plug into the motherboard and often have 2-4 cables coming out which allows you to plug multiple fans into one header. Note that some RGB Fans will only run on 2 way fan splitters, like the Corsair ML120/LL120 for example.

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

You can buy fan splitters. They plug into the motherboard and often have 2-4 cables coming out which allows you to plug multiple fans into one header. Note that some RGB Fans will only run on 2 way fan splitters, like the Corsair ML120/LL120 for example.

If I'd use my pc with only 1 fan, until the splitter is shipped to me (about 1.5 month), would it damage anything? Everything's completely new.

2 minutes ago, gunariks177 said:

If I'd use my pc with only 1 fan, until the splitter is shipped to me (about 1.5 month), would it damage anything? Everything's completely new.

Well, it shouldn't damage anything but temps should get higher. Just remember to set the fan to intake air so there would be positive pressure in the case(positive pressure means dust would less likely enter your PC from small gaps or holes) Download a temperature monitoring software like MSI Afterburner and keep a look out for your temps, it shouldn't exceed 90 (80-90 is uncomfortably high but shouldn't do any short term damage, but the lifespan of the parts may be decreased)

Here's a tutorial on how to monitor CPU and GPU temps in game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l037K15f6AA&t=0s

3 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

No, you don't have anything overclocked right ? Even if its one fan as long as its for exhaust your fine (unless you leave in a hot country/environment or something). Also i don't recommend using splitters, as you might risk overloading the mobo fan connector, its better to either connect the fans to a fan hub or get some silent simple fans to push a bit  around the air in the case, and those connect to the regular molex plugs.

AttÄlu rezultÄti vaicÄjumam âDeepcool FAN Hubâ

This? And yes, nothing is overclocked. Everything's standart.

11 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

No something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I That product is just an example, basically a hub that is connected to the PSU for power supply not the motherboard.

Intake (positive air pressure) matters when you have a decent exhaust with decent powerful fans, in a single or regular fan configuration the back exhaust matters the most, as hot air rises and its pushed out by the fan.

But, I mean, would 2 fans on 1 connector really overload it? And what about this - https://www.amazon.com/AeroCool-Project7-P7-H1-Controlador-ventilador/dp/B072K7PBZG/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1546026699&sr=1-1-fkmr2&keywords=AEROCOOL+P7-H1+RGB+FAN+CONTROLLER+HUB What is this?

I came here to ask the same kind of question - got some more case fans for my Fractal Define S and just realized I don't have quite enough fan plugs on my mobo. Since I don't have any bays for a fancy controller - those cable splitters look like just what I need. Thanks, _d0nut!

edit* hmm or maybe there is more at play...

I'm using GP-14s, looks like max 0.2 A input - so I should probably be good running 2 on one slot right? I've got the ab350 gaming 3 mobo

5 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Normally if neither fan is larger then 0.5A it shouldn't, but i got "burned" once by connecting two 0.5A fans to a single connector (a single motherboard connector should support at least 1A), that's why i usually i advise against it, if your fans are under 0.5A i guess you could proceed with it (if they are 0.32A or around 0.4A mark). Also that Aero Cool is an RGB hub ? .

I'm very sorry if it seems like I'm a dummy, because in these things, I really am. I mostly use a laptop. But, how do I know, how much A do my fans have? The only thing that I found is that they're both 140mm. http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/mastercase-pro-3/

1 minute ago, Strike105X said:

lol your not, its normal not to be familiar with something your not used to deal with. Unfortunately the link doesn't help me (because case manufacturers never bother to give a detail description of the fans, now they are dummies as it should normally be their job), the info your looking for is written on the back of the fan though:

FAN.jpg

The case comes with 2 power splitters too. What are they for? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VtJZDDDSWM

2:30 I mean, I think that they are for the fans, but what is the use of them? How do I connect them?

Use hub, there are 4 models of it. For 3 pin fans with molex or SATA cable, and for 4 pin fans with molex or SATA cable, like this one, it's only $3 and works perfectly. I have 2 of them, the 3 pin and 4 pin with molex.

20181215_065315.jpg.3e869e42502c9bfa28543278589c3f92.jpg

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

7 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Use hub, there are 4 models of it. For 3 pin fans with molex or SATA cable, and for 4 pin fans with molex or SATA cable, like this one, it's only $3 and works perfectly. I have 2 of them, the 3 pin and 4 pin with molex.

20181215_065315.jpg.3e869e42502c9bfa28543278589c3f92.jpg

But for what are these splitters?

Screenshot_20181229-101424_YouTube.jpg

3 hours ago, Stivelis said:

But for what are these splitters?

Screenshot_20181229-101424_YouTube.jpg

That splitters are limited on fan numbers.

The hub I recommended is for let say you only have 2 fan headers on your motherboard, 1 is CPU_Fan and 1 System_Fan, and you have 4 fans or more to use, 1 is CPU cooler fan, and 3 are the case fans, that hub is the cheapest simple solution for it. the molex slot goes to PSU for power draw, and the opposite slot goes to motherboard System_Fan header to get RPM and PWM signal, then you can use 10 fans with this hub without worrying to kill the motherboard because will draw more power/current than the fan header can give.

I have these 2, only around $3 each one,

741140513_FANHUB3.jpg.325283ffde07de3d9c2a94a7aecee21f.jpg

1705118968_FANHUB4.jpg.3363805fbba793241f857313501cbeec.jpg

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

2 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

That splitters are limited on fan numbers.

The hub I recommended is for let say you only have 2 fan headers on your motherboard, 1 is CPU_Fan and 1 System_Fan, any you have 4 fans or more to use, 1 is CPU cooler fan, and 3 are the case fans, that hub is the cheapest simple solution for it. the molex slot goes to PSU for power draw, and the opposite slot goes to motherboard System_Fan header to get RPM and PWM signal, then you can use 10 fans with this hub without worrying to kill the motherboard because will draw more power/current than the fan header can give.

I have these 2, only around $3 each one,

741140513_FANHUB3.jpg.325283ffde07de3d9c2a94a7aecee21f.jpg

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32858309490.html?pid=808_0000_0101&spm=a2g0n.search-amp.list.32858309490&aff_trace_key=92bb3ecbec76468cb74bc894c8dfebd5-1544887973849-08130-UneMJZVf&aff_platform=msite&m_page_id=5081amp-ujEbPJlaRmucRI7QURPpkg1546080351739 Is this the one I need? Or i need something else too? Any cables or something? I have 9 sata cables, so, I guess, it's better to use them, not 4pins, right?

47 minutes ago, Stivelis said:

On this one, you don't need any cables. Only plug-and-play, connect to PSU SATA/Molex cable and then connect all the fans you have on to it. You can control the fan speed directly via its center switch or BIOS by adjusting the voltage. It's the 3 pin fan hub, yes. the other pic along with this one is the 4 pin version with PWM support.

This is even better because it's on a discount for less than $2. I would just grab it some, not just one, get the other 4 pin hub, in case you will need it in the future. They are super cheap and works perfectly..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

1 hour ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

On this one, you don't need any cables. Only plug-and-play, connect to PSU SATA/Molex cable and then connect all the fans you have on to it. You can control the fan speed directly via its center switch or BIOS by adjusting the voltage. It's the 3 pin fan hub, yes. the other pic along with this one is the 4 pin version with PWM support.

This is even better because it's on a discount for less than $2. I would just grab it some, not just one, get the other 4 pin hub, in case you will need it in the future. They are super cheap and works perfectly..

Thank you!