did i damage anything in my new Play Station 4 ?

Natasha2244
Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,

No. The console, like your TV and most of your electronics without a physical power switch, including your computer (that is why some computers power supplies have a physical power switch), your system is only in a standby state. This allows you to have a button press turn on action. In other words you can press the power button your TV remote to turn on the TV, you can press a button on the computer to turn it on, and not have a physical switch like the old days of computers, TVs (before your and my time... I am talking about TV without Remote Controls or early days of Remotes which only had channel change and volume, and not on/off state) and so on.

I guess you can see the different power states of a typical consumer product as the following, which may or may not support:

1. Physically turned off (this includes the device unplugged from its power source)
  2. Hibernation
  3. Standby Mode
  4. Sleep
  5. Turn on

Modern game console supports: State 1 (unplugging the console from the wall), State 3 which is what you did, and is identified as "power down" on the console, but not truly is, State 4 and of course State 5.

An old school console like the Super Nintendo or GameCube, supports State 1 and 5 only. (on and off, notice how the power switch, switches states, either it slides like a sliding switch of 2 states, or the button remains pressed in when you press it, and return to it's normal height when pressed again).

I play most of my Games on PC 

but 2 days ago I bought a PS4 for the first time ever

so Please don't laugh at me for asking this question

yesterday I shut down my PS4 Not in rest Mode I shut it down completely

but it was still plugged in to the wall

today I put a disc inside my ps4 without first to turn my ps4 on

but when I put the disc it turned on by itself

my question

1-did I damage anything ?

2-next time do I need first to turn it on then insert the disc ?

No, it's fine

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, Shiv78 said:

No, it's fine

so its fine to insert a disc even if it completely off ?

Just now, Natasha2244 said:

I think it's better to turn it on first, but doing it by accident on occasion shouldn't break it.

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

You've probably scratched your disc slightly but if it's just a one-off time the game will be fine. I would assume, completely theoretical here: The disc reader usually spins automatically and drags the disc inside to read it. But you've just forced it to spin so it required more force, if the PS4 is turned on at the wall it might automatically spin but if it's completely off it won't. It's usually a good idea to have it on before inserting a disc so that the console can do what it likes. 

No. The console, like your TV and most of your electronics without a physical power switch, including your computer (that is why some computers power supplies have a physical power switch), your system is only in a standby state. This allows you to have a button press turn on action. In other words you can press the power button your TV remote to turn on the TV, you can press a button on the computer to turn it on, and not have a physical switch like the old days of computers, TVs (before your and my time... I am talking about TV without Remote Controls or early days of Remotes which only had channel change and volume, and not on/off state) and so on.

I guess you can see the different power states of a typical consumer product as the following, which may or may not support:

1. Physically turned off (this includes the device unplugged from its power source)
  2. Hibernation
  3. Standby Mode
  4. Sleep
  5. Turn on

Modern game console supports: State 1 (unplugging the console from the wall), State 3 which is what you did, and is identified as "power down" on the console, but not truly is, State 4 and of course State 5.

An old school console like the Super Nintendo or GameCube, supports State 1 and 5 only. (on and off, notice how the power switch, switches states, either it slides like a sliding switch of 2 states, or the button remains pressed in when you press it, and return to it's normal height when pressed again).

20 minutes ago, Natasha2244 said:

Yes, The console turns on and takes your disk.

Consoles are idiot proof. They are designed to reduce support calls.

Same with cars with electronic parking breaks, where they disengage when you press the acceleration pedal if it was engaged. Hence, the joke that you can't do drifts anymore. I even read that some cars even apply them when you turn the car off and the car is set to Park Instead of Neutral, as very few people puts it in America for some reason, and 'causes things to break especially if you do it on a hill too many times, as all that holds entire car weight is a small metal pin that engages when you set the car in Park mode, so you want the parking breaks.

More and more things are idiot proof these days.

5 hours ago, Natasha2244 said:

today I put a disc inside my ps4 without first to turn my ps4 on

but when I put the disc it turned on by itself

That's a feature of the PS4. Totally normal, nothing broken or so.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"