Which monitor?

BigChimp97

I have no personal experience with either monitor, however I do own an asus ips monitor and it is beyond excellent. My experience with any acer product has always been poor. Perhaps i am being to harsh on acer but I have done repairs on several of my friends acer pcs and i dont feel they stress quality as much as a company like asus.

...Sort of?  

In general, a glossy screen has a better contrast, brighter colors (more saturated), and better viewing angles. A glossy screen may look more vibrant to watch movies or play games. The major disadvantage of a glossy screen is the reflection of a light and other objects. Sometimes it is not easy to adjust the screen to make it less reflective. Glare may interfere with color perception. Also in print, supersaturated colors will not show up. Many visual designers find that the glossy screens present unrealistic colors and overly contrasted images and sometimes photographs cannot be accurately matched to the final print.

A matte screen has an anti-glare coating that diffuses ambient light. A side effect of the coating is a slight blurring, reduced contrast, and a narrow viewing angle.

They also don't get dirty as easily which means you can touch the screen with less worries for leaving prints.

They each have their pros and cons so it depends on preference which you prefer.

At the minute I'm using a 32" TV as you may of seen in one of my older posts, so I'm pretty used to having the curtains closed and having the reflection on black backgrounds, most of the time I can't really see it. But It's still something I would consider. From the list that I made which would you recommend?

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

At the minute I'm using a 32" TV as you may of seen in one of my older posts, so I'm pretty used to having the curtains closed and having the reflection on black backgrounds, most of the time I can't really see it. But It's still something I would consider. From the list that I made which would you recommend?

I already made a recommendation. You then asked why I suggested what I did.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I already made a recommendation. You then asked why I suggested what I did.

Ok then, sorry I wasn't sure if you liked any of the monitors I listed, that AOC one will be added though thanks :) I didn't mean to make it seem like I had ignored the info you had given me

CPU Intel i7-6700k | Motherboard ASUS Maximus Hero VIII | GPU MSI GTX 970 | RAM 16 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz | Cooling Noctua NH-D15 | Storage 240GB Crucial M500; 2TB Seagate Barracuda | PSU EVGA 850w | Case Phatek Enthoo Pro M Acrylic

Ok then, sorry I wasn't sure if you liked any of the monitors I listed, that AOC one will be added though thanks :)

The Acer monitor is great. I had a great time working with it and I'd basically consider it the glossy version of the AOC monitor.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

The Acer monitor is great. I had a great time working with it and I'd basically consider it the glossy version of the AOC monitor.

By the way I didn't mean to make it seem like I had ignored the info you had given me, I just wanted to know what you thought of the list, sorry. And ah ok then, have you used both monitors before? Is there a distinct quality difference in the image?

I have no personal experience with either monitor, however I do own an asus ips monitor and it is beyond excellent. My experience with any acer product has always been poor. Perhaps i am being to harsh on acer but I have done repairs on several of my friends acer pcs and i dont feel they stress quality as much as a company like asus.

They all seem to be good monitors from all these replies, damn it, haha. Thanks for the info!

By the way I didn't mean to make it seem like I had ignored the info you had given me, I just wanted to know what you thought of the list, sorry. And ah ok then, have you used both monitors before? Is there a distinct quality difference in the image?

I didn't get the feeling you ignored what I posted at all.

I wouldn't say there's much difference in quality. Glossy and matte will always have a different looks. Whichever you prefer is up to you. Glossy is more saturated and more vibrant but not as 'true' as a matte display tends to be.

I didn't get the feeling you ignored what I posted at all.

I wouldn't say there's much difference in quality. Glossy and matte will always have a different looks. Whichever you prefer is up to you. Glossy is more saturated and more vibrant but not as 'true' as a matte display tends to be.

So matte gives a more realistic look to the colours whereas glossy gives them an over the top "look at me, I stand out way too much" sort of look?

So matte gives a more realistic look to the colours whereas glossy gives them an over the top "look at me, I stand out way too much" sort of look?

Sort of. The way a matte screen is made distorts the image in a way and the glare from a glossy screen has a different type of distortion.

Sort of. The way a matte screen is made distorts the image in a way and the glare from a glossy screen has a different type of distortion.

But which distortion makes the final image worse?

But which distortion makes the final image worse?

Distortion is bad either way. Depends on your preference...

Matte is generally better for accurate colors because glare can really do a number on that.

Prior to my current monitor i had a glossy monitor at first i liked it but after a while i became sick of it. My current monitor has a matte screen and i honestly dont notice any distortion.

Matte is generally better for accurate colors because glare can really do a number on that.

I also suppose that matte creates a more constant quality to the image, for example if you game throughout the day with the curtains open, letting the light in, and then throughout the night, the mattes picture quality wouldn't change. Whereas the glossy finish would have major fluctuations in quality,seeing as during the day it would be impossible to play with the sun coming through, but then in the evening it would improve... Although still with some reflections

Prior to my current monitor i had a glossy monitor at first i liked it but after a while i became sick of it. My current monitor has a matte screen and i honestly dont notice any distortion.

Looks like I'll be getting a matte finish then :)

Are there any other matte finish monitors within my price range that use DVI?

Am I correct in saying that the LG that I linked to is also matte finish?

Am I correct in saying that the LG that I linked to is matte? And are there other monitors out there for the same price range that use DVI? And are either 23" or 24"?

Sorry if I'm a pain

Am I correct in saying that the LG that I linked to is also matte finish?

yes it is a matte finish. tough to say what is in your price range I am in a different market sorry.

*edit the model that ends in v is matte they make another model where the model # ends in HL i believe that is glossy.

yes it is a matte finish. tough to say what is in your price range I am in a different market sorry.

Ah ok, if the LG is a matte finish then I might get that because it uses DVI, has a matte finish, 1080p, and is only £129.99

My personal recommendation is to go to your local computer store and look at two monitors at the same resolution, preferably with the same image if they will let you use it and see which finish you like best. its easy to tell which finish is matte and which is glossy if you look closely at the screen. or if it is turned off. 

Ah ok, if the LG is a matte finish then I might get that because it uses DVI, has a matte finish, 1080p, and is only £129.99

sounds like a winner to me

Yep :) I just hope it is matte finish, I looked I'm the lg website and they said that the finish was anti-glare, 3h.... I know what anti glare means but what about 3h?

Plus it has low gtg, response time, input lag :) so no ghosting