is my gpu or psu faulty?

Toffe123

So when i go to run a heavy load on my gpu such as a benchmark or a graphically intensive game, my entire pc locks up and restarts itself with my monitor losing signal. i try to diagnose this problem the best i could and i feel that it's either the gpu or psu.

for example, i go to run 3dmark time spy on my gpu, the test runs until it reaches the latter stages and the pc restarts then. i then ran the test on my iGPU and it completes no problem, no restart.

While playing a game like gta 5, the pc restarts 15 mins in.

also to note, performance and graphics quality still look normal which makes me wonder if the gpu is fine but the psu is failing? it's just the pc restarts under heavy gfx load. BUT, i underclocked the gpu (-250mhz core+mem) for further testing and benchmarks worked fine!?

specs:

rx 580 nitro+ SE 8gb 1x6 pin + 1x8pin

500w evga white 80 plus

i5 4460 / 12gb ram / h81m-s2h mobo

p.s, this issue started recently as when i first got the gpu, everything worked fine, i was able to run benchmarks etc all fine.

(sorry for formatting)

How old is the PSU actually? It's certainly a low end one and if it's really dated in usage and your RX 580 is recent then I'm willing to call on it.

But still on he matter of the GPU did you properly DDU in safe mode and reinstalled drivers fresh new yet?

All in all you want to avoid using a super old ass low end power supply with the latest hardware as power usages are quite different they were from then... you'll be forcing a situation prone for trouble.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

1 minute ago, Princess Cadence said:

How old is the PSU actually? It's certainly a low end one and if it's really dated in usage and your RX 580 is recent then I'm willing to call on it.

But still on he matter of the GPU did you properly DDU in safe mode and reinstalled drivers fresh new yet?

All in all you want to avoid using a super old ass low end power supply with the latest hardware as power usages are quite different they were from then... you'll be forcing a situation prone for trouble.

the gpu was bought from amazon a month ago and it was a used but "very good" condition unit. the psu is merely 3 years old and was bought brand new.

i reinstalled windows, ran ddu, installed latest drivers. same problem :(

also, i thought the psu was half decent, as it was by evga and was 80plus.

3 hours ago, Toffe123 said:

Sorry to break it to you but the PSU is really bad actually, first of all you don't shop for brand just model and 80+ efficiency by itself is no indicator of reliability or safety.

Nowadays you should look for 80+ Gold at least even though efficiency by itself isn't the important thing the major brands will cheap up a lot of on their models under this rating.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)