Power connectors

mikeymaiden

Hello I recently transferred my dell optiplex 790 parts into a new cooler master masterbox 3.1 lite. I tried to plug in the power and reset plugs into the mother board but I cant find anywhere to plug it in. All there is is a 5 pin at the top and at the bottom there is a 34 pins for front panel. Now which ones would i plug it into?image.thumb.jpg.387ac5a9d5d7f2f08d34f7a00a7b72d5.jpg.5e343cc933e0edf7ecf6bdd5debab7f5.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.15b1c565f85c00334995b8f677522730.jpg.3e5a636b995f9c96fff383bf6ca0651b.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.d001a67ce7ffa37aba802fda591724cf.jpg.103689e4d8c832ce7f4c4235456b76fb.jpg 

You're going to have to rig it if the old case didn't use identical wires.

The 34 pin is IDE for old storage and optical media the small 6-pin connector looks propriety but looking closely the silkscreen says "pwr sw". You may be able to test which pins control what (pwr & reset or pwr & led) but it looks like you won't be plugging everything in.

I posted in your other thread. The 5 pin is proprietary. You are going to need to install the old power button. You need to tap into two of the wires with the old power button installed if you want it to boot  without error codes. The power led taps off of the power button as well.

https://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/26663-hacked-arcade-button-to-power-up-cabinet-sets-off-dell-alert-message/

The front panel pinout can be found relatively easily.

2 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

You're going to have to rig it if the old case didn't use identical wires.

The 34 pin is IDE for old storage and optical media the small 6-pin connector looks propriety but looking closely the silkscreen says "pwr sw". You may be able to test which pins control what (pwr & reset or pwr & led) but it looks like you won't be plugging everything in.

Incorrect. That connector is a proprietary front io connector.

4 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

I posted in your other thread. The 5 pin is proprietary. You are going to need to install the old power button. You need to tap into two of the wires with the old power button installed if you want it to boot  without error codes. The power led taps off of the power button as well.

https://hyperspin-fe.com/forums/topic/26663-hacked-arcade-button-to-power-up-cabinet-sets-off-dell-alert-message/

So what your saying is that i would have to connect my old power button then splice a wire from the power cable from the pc into the old power switch?

6 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Incorrect. That connector is a proprietary front io connector.

Sorry, you're right. IDE ribbon cables are 40-pin. I haven't touched one in years so memory's a bit foggy.

12 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

or would i use the old power switch and then use the power switch plug from the case and plug it into the 34 pin?Capture7.PNG.1f7350dc2186d521fb4ee2e54e18518e.PNG

9 minutes ago, mikeymaiden said:

So what your saying is that i would have to connect my old power button then splice a wire from the power cable from the pc into the old power switch?

Pretty much. You can get it to work without it, but it will boot error every time.

While we are at it there are detect pins in that front io connector that detect if the front panel is missing. You will need to hide the factory front panel in the case somewhere or get creative to avoid that boot error.

You need a Dell case fan or a dell 5 pin to pwm 4 pin adapter to avoid the case fan failure boot error.

The ambient air temp sensor will also cause a boot error.

5 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

Pretty much. You can get it to work without it, but it will boot error every time.

While we are at it there are detect pins in that front io connector that detect if the front panel is missing. You will need to hide the factory front panel in the case somewhere or get creative to avoid that boot error.

You need a Dell case fan or a dell 5 pin to pwm 4 pin adapter to avoid the case fan failure boot error.

The ambient air temp sensor will also cause a boot error.

I actually really dont care about the errors its just want the power button on my pc case to work.

The pinout for the power switch is in that arcade link. You will likely need to split your connectors in a modern case.

If you dont fix the errors you will have to hit a function key every time you boot. It cannot be disabled in bios.

1 minute ago, markr54632 said:

The pinout for the power switch is in that arcade link. You will likely need to split your connectors in a modern case.

If you dont fix the errors you will have to hit a function key every time you boot. It cannot be disabled in bios.

ya i know, I have a aftermarket cpu cooler and the cpu fan wont work with the dell motherboard so i have had those errors for a looong time

Just now, mikeymaiden said:

ya i know, I have a aftermarket cpu cooler and the cpu fan wont work with the dell motherboard so i have had those errors for a looong time

What cooler did you use? That is probably the easiest error to get rid of. Personally I just replaced a couple of fans with dell delta 5 pins. I made my own adapters and used a premade adapter. All worked okay.

What cooler did you use? That is probably the easiest error to get rid of. Personally I just replaced a couple of fans with dell delta 5 pins. I made my own adapters and used a premade adapter. All worked okay.

well i have a cooler master hyper t4 with a 120mm corsair af fan

You would have to replace that fan with a pwm one to get rid of the error.

ok

4 minutes ago, markr54632 said:

You would have to replace that fan with a pwm one to get rid of the error.

but back on topic i would connect my old power button then splice the wires from the old power button to the power button on the pc case

8 minutes ago, mikeymaiden said:

but back on topic i would connect my old power button then splice the wires from the old power button to the power button on the pc case

Yup. I soldered some headers into the existing wiring so that I could plug the switch in.