How do i make multiple accounts on the same PC?

I want to set up two different accounts on my PC. different meaning separate logins, and cannot access files from the other account.

My family wants to set up a VR set up, and we will be using my desktop. However, i dont want them to be able to rummage around my 2TB of personal files and programs. So i want to set up a second account on the PC that uses a partition of one of my SSD's just for running the VR (steam plus some VR games and drivers etc)

How would i do this? i have only ever had one account per PC.

The PC currently is a local account (set up windows without internet connection etc). I want to make a second local account on it.

i7 6700k, RX 480 8GB, 16 GB ram, Win 10, and the SSD to partition is a new 1 TB WD blue SATA III M.2. where a partition of the drive will be for this new account and the rest will be for the main account

Uuuuumm..... Imma preety sure that nothing will mess around with your files no matter what but whatever 

You go to settings ....then to acounts...and then to family and others or something like then things are preety self explandatory 

You can use the "Family & other users" in setting to set up individual login in and desktop in Windows 10. This option does not require re-partitioning your drive.

Alternatively you can dual boot the system using a separate partition.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Manage Accounts and you can add accounts there. You can create Windows 10 accounts without a Microsoft account, though Windows makes you do extra things. Make sure new accounts are Standard Users.

From there on, you can set the permissions on what files or folders they can access by selecting on the item in File Explorer, right clicking on it, going to Properties -> Security. You can set this storage device wide if you'd like. By default, users do not have access to user account folders that aren't theirs.

19 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

From there on, you can set the permissions on what files or folders they can access by selecting on the item in File Explorer, right clicking on it, going to Properties -> Security. You can set this storage device wide if you'd like. By default, users do not have access to user account folders that aren't theirs.

I made a second normal user (local not microsoft) I logged into it and did the whole 'welcome to windows' thing

now how do i change viewing permissions? Like if i want to hide a folder or drive, i go to file explorer properties > security. but then to change permissions it only lists Desktop\Users and not each user. so how do i hide the folders or block access to the new user?image.png.f085da21c506997f62f4ab010ce297b3.png

30 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

I made a second normal user (local not microsoft) I logged into it and did the whole 'welcome to windows' thing

now how do i change viewing permissions? Like if i want to hide a folder or drive, i go to file explorer properties > security. but then to change permissions it only lists Desktop\Users and not each user. so how do i hide the folders or block access to the new user?

The only method I found to hide folders users don't have access to seems to be available only on Windows Server.

Otherwise you can still deny them read permissions and they'll need the admin password to access it.

i would triple read the instructions before attempting, but this is I think what your looking for

hiding files in win10

you could also

hide user accounts on login screen

current main system: as of 1st Jan 2023

motherboard : Gigabyte B450M DS3H V2

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

ram : 16Gig Corsair Vengeance 3600mhz

Video Card : RX 550 4 GIG

Monitor: BENQ 21 inch

6 hours ago, cretsiah said:

Im just going to go the route of blocking viewing to the entire drives i want hidden. that way the other account cant even open the drive to see the files, while my main acc has full access

57 minutes ago, tJuggernaut29 said:

Im just going to go the route of blocking viewing to the entire drives i want hidden. that way the other account cant even open the drive to see the files, while my main acc has full access

Making files hidden doesn't actually block the other account's ability to open and see what's inside the folder. It just makes it less obvious the folder is there. Besides that, you don't need admin privileges to show hidden folders. You could do it just to do it, but you still need to set the permissions to actually block other accounts from accessing the folder.

Basically if you don't set permissions, only hiding the folders is like hiding your Wi-Fi's SSID and thinking that's enough that you don't need to set it to WPA or something.