Transferring windows OS to 970evo from 860 evo

Stormseeker9

Hi all,

as the title describes - is it possible to transfer the windows OS only to the new SSD? If so, how would I do that? 

Want it to boot from my NVMe.2 and use my 860 as storage. 

Thanks in in advance and hope you all had/have  a great Christmas! 

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

Samsung themselves have migration software (https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/) but personally it is always a better option to install a fresh copy of Windows (you will not need to have your product key, and your computer will be activated as long as you are signed in with the same Microsoft Account that you use now. 

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

Remember kids, A janky solution is still a solution.

You can grab Samsung's migration tool from: here. There's a manual with pictures and everything too: here.

I haven't used it yet but, I'll try to help if you have any questions.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

4 minutes ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Hi all,

as the title describes - is it possible to transfer the windows OS only to the new SSD? If so, how would I do that? 

Want it to boot from my NVMe.2 and use my 860 as storage. 

Thanks in in advance and hope you all had/have  a great Christmas! 

What I would do (assuming that you still have the install media that was used for windows 10 ) is just reinstall it as you were setting up a new PC and then change the boot order to your new ssd

17 minutes ago, Quagmaire said:

What I would do (assuming that you still have the install media that was used for windows 10 ) is just reinstall it as you were setting up a new PC and then change the boot order to your new ssd

I used a bootable USB to install windows. 

So if I were too recreate that Bootable USB  (already wiped it) and install a fresh copy in the new drive, how would I go about deleting windows from my ‘old’ drive? Just drag and drop to bin, surely it can’t be that easy ??

21 minutes ago, limegorilla said:

Samsung themselves have migration software (https://www.samsung.com/semiconductor/minisite/ssd/download/tools/) but personally it is always a better option to install a fresh copy of Windows (you will not need to have your product key, and your computer will be activated as long as you are signed in with the same Microsoft Account that you use now. 

So even if I boot from my bootable USB to install a fresh copy, would windows recognise that it’s already on the system, but in another drive ? I bought those €10 keys and pretty sure there one time use only (at least my last one I purchased start of year didn’t work anymore when I built this pc start of the month) or is it linked to the sign in account as you said?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD 

23 minutes ago, Quagmaire said:

If you don't, grab a 8GB (or more) USB and download this: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Bow down to me humans.

I can't help if you don't quote me. How am I supposed to know if you need my premium support? Now starting at £399.99 a year.

Also, be a sport and mark the correct answer as the correct answer. It will help pour souls in the future when they are stuck and need guidance.

"If it works, proceed to take it apart and 'make it work better.' Then cry for help when it breaks." - Me, about five minutes ago when my train of thought wandered.

1 minute ago, Stormseeker9 said:

I used a bootable USB to install windows. 

So if I were too recreate that Bootable USB  (already wiped it) and install a fresh copy in the new drive, how would I go about deleting windows from my ‘old’ drive? Just drag and drop to bin, surely it can’t be that easy ??

So even if I boot from my bootable USB to install a fresh copy, would windows recognise that it’s already on the system, but in another drive ? I bought those €10 keys and pretty sure there one time use only (at least my last one I purchased start of year didn’t work anymore when I built this pc start of the month) or is it linked to the sign in account as you said?

To delete Windows, well you have two options. Your first is to format the drive, deleting everything on it. If you do not want to get rid of everything, you can either move the things you want to keep off the drive, format the drive, then move everything back over, or you can delete windows by dragging and dropping it into the recycle bin. I would advise against this method however, because to completely eradicate windows from the drive you will need to mess with partitions, but if you want to I can walk you through it. However, as I said, moving everything you want to keep off, then wiping the drive is your best bet.

As far as your key, it is one use, but to your system. So you can re-install windows as many times as you want on that computer, and as long as you have that account signed in to it, it will accept your old key (it will do this automatically, you do not need to do anything. When setting up windows, and it asks for a product key, you are going to want to hit "I don't have a product key". Once you get to the windows desktop it should have all ready activated if you sign into Microsoft during setup)

I personally have a desktop that I wipe about once a month and have only kept the same key I upgraded from Windows 7 with. You can make hardware changes to your PC too - as I have.

Bow down to me humans.

As far as I know, if you use the migration software it automatically gets rid of Windows on the old drive so, no extra steps are necessary.

Thanks @limegorilla.

@Cyberspirit You mean the Samsung software you suggested ? If so thanks. 

Ill I’ll be home Friday again and I’ll keep you all updated. Thanks for the help 

So I received my 970 today, plugged it into MoBo. So far so good.

samsung magician software recognises it, HWmonitor does, but under ‘this PC’ it only shows my 860 evo as C drive. My 970 doesn’t show up. When I’m In the bios, it also shows up under ‘board explorer’ but I can’t see it under boot devices ( haven’t installed windows yet (on this drive) as I first want to transfer a few things over from my 860 evo (everything  Steam related, elsewise there is nothing on this disk I need to transfer. 

Could someone one help me out here. If it’s unclear what I mean please tell and I’ll try to explain it again. 

You just need to partition the drive.

The fastest way to do it just press the Windows key on your keyboard and search for this: diskmgmt.msc

That will bring up the disk manager where you can locate the new drive and make a new partition.

Though, if you want to install Windows on it then, I'd install Windows first and just copy over the Steam folder later because Windows installer will wipe your drive.

@Cyberspirit

Ok I’ll first install windows then! Hopefully after that it shows up as a drive under ‘this pc’.

when it comes to drivers for All the system components, I suppose I have to reinstall all

of these ? I have driver easy pro so that makes it bloody easy for all drivers. I’ll keep

you updated. Thank you for your help !

Once you installed Windows on the new drive make sure you move it to the top of your boot order so, the PC doesn't boot from the old drive.

After that, you should see your old Windows drive in "This PC" and you can just copy all your Steam games over.

As for the drivers, I haven't used that program myself but, it's always recommended that you manually update them or at least double check the version number on the manufacturer's site.

59 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Once you installed Windows on the new drive make sure you move it to the top of your boot order so, the PC doesn't boot from the old drive.

After that, you should see your old Windows drive in "This PC" and you can just copy all your Steam games over.

As for the drivers, I haven't used that program myself but, it's always recommended that you manually update them or at least double check the version number on the manufacturer's site.

Windows installed, all good so far, just copying steam folder from 860 to 970 drive but speeds are waaaaay low. Went up to 400-500 for about 20 secs and then went down to 100-200kb/s and as we are speaking it’s doing 1mb/s. Transferring 28gb. Said 50 minutes when it started. Surely something being wrong ?

edit: jumping around 100-200mb/s now with sometimes up to 400-500mb/s. Still doesn’t seem fast enough 

Are you copying via USB? That's normal rates for USB 2.0...

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming

3 hours ago, Stormseeker9 said:

Windows installed, all good so far, just copying steam folder from 860 to 970 drive but speeds are waaaaay low. Went up to 400-500 for about 20 secs and then went down to 100-200kb/s and as we are speaking it’s doing 1mb/s. Transferring 28gb. Said 50 minutes when it started. Surely something being wrong ?

edit: jumping around 100-200mb/s now with sometimes up to 400-500mb/s. Still doesn’t seem fast enough 

I'm no expert on that but, my best guess is that it depends on what kind of file is being copied.

If you want to test your SSD speeds, you can use CrystalDiskMark for example. Make sure you get Crystal Disk mark on the right because that's the benchmark.

1 hour ago, seagate_surfer said:

Are you copying via USB? That's normal rates for USB 2.0...

860 evo via SATA to a 970 evo NVMe.m2 

both internal drives 

I checked both transfer rates just in case, In computing when two or more devices are connected, the transfer speeds will always be determined by the slowest device in the network, the 860 is SATA 3 so it can not exceed the 600MB/s that can theoretically reach one drive with this standard, actually, I do not remember having seen drives reaching those 600MB/s:

In most cases, slow rates can be fixed with updates, so you first need to check and see if you have firmware updates and drivers available for both the drives and the computer.

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming