BSOD while gaming

Go to solution Solved by FloRolf,

Yeah, you should run memtest on his pc. Also maybe disable the oc.

Edit: oh wait, 3.8ghz is the normal turbo, right? :P

So, a few months back, around October, I built two of nearly the same system. One was for my friend and the other was for me. Ever since I put them together he has had issues on his with "DPC Watchdog Violation" BSODs about once a week but only when he is playing a game like League of Legends, whereas my pc hasn't had a single issue as of now. I've inconclusively researched that Windows 8 may be the problem but I'm not sure and I don't want to tell him to reinstall windows and have the problem persist.

Help please!

His build: 

• Windows 8 64x
  • CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.8GHz
  • CPU Cooler: Stock
  • Mobo: MSI Z87 G43
  • RAM: G.Skill Ares 2 x 4GB 1600MHz
  • Storage: 2x 500GB 2.5" HDDs in RAID 0 (repurposed from laptop)
  • GPU: Windforce GTX 770 2GB
  • Wifi: Asus PCE-N53
  • PSU: Corsair 600w ATX12v

My build: 

• Windows 8 64x
  • CPU: i5 4670k @ 4.0GHz
  • CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 Evo
  • Mobo: MSI Z87 G45
  • RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2 x 4GB 1600MHz
  • Storage: Intel 330 180GB SSD; 1.5TB Seagate HDD (ST31500341AS)
  • GPU: Windforce GTX 770 4GB
  • Wifi: D-Link DWA-556 Xtreme N PCIe
  • PSU: Corsair 600w ATX12v

I started getting random blue screens while gaming and first could not figure out what the cause was. There was no specific point for the blue screens to happen even after removing all overclocking.

I went and installed windows again on a completely different SSD and had failed installs....

Ended up removing memory sticks and finally stabilized the system.

So my tip to you is:

Before you do any uninstalling or reinstalling of anything. Try removing memory and then swapping around the sticks to see if one of them is faulty and causes the problems.

If you know when blue screens usually happen then run those events again with a memory stick removed/swapped to see if it happens again.

I later tested the memory on a different system and it blue screened also, but after taking the memory out everything went to normal.

Gaming HTPC:

R5 5600X - Cryorig C7 - Asus ROG B350-i - EVGA RTX2060KO - 16gb G.Skill Ripjaws V 3333mhz - Corsair SF450 - 500gb 960 EVO - LianLi TU100B

Desktop PC:
R9 3900X - Peerless Assassin 120 SE - Asus Prime X570 Pro - Powercolor 7900XT - 32gb LPX 3200mhz - Corsair SF750 Platinum - 1TB WD SN850X - CoolerMaster NR200 White - Gigabyte M27Q-SA - Corsair K70 Rapidfire - Logitech MX518 Legendary - HyperXCloud Alpha wireless

Boss-NAS [Build Log]:
R5 2400G - Noctua NH-D14 - Asus Prime X370-Pro - 16gb G.Skill Aegis 3000mhz - Seasonic Focus Platinum 550W - Fractal Design R5 - 
250gb 970 Evo (OS) - 2x500gb 860 Evo (Raid0) - 6x4TB WD Red (RaidZ2)

Synology-NAS:
DS920+
2x4TB Ironwolf - 1x18TB Seagate Exos X20

Audio Gear:

Hifiman HE-400i - Kennerton Magister - Beyerdynamic DT880 250Ohm - AKG K7XX - Fostex TH-X00 - O2 Amp/DAC Combo - 
Klipsch RP280F - Klipsch RP160M - Klipsch RP440C - Yamaha RX-V479

Reviews and Stuff:

GTX 780 DCU2 // 8600GTS // Hifiman HE-400i // Kennerton Magister
Folding all the Proteins! // Boincerino

Useful Links:
Do you need an AMP/DAC? // Recommended Audio Gear // PSU Tier List 

I started getting random blue screens while gaming and first could not figure out what the cause was. There was no specific point for the blue screens to happen even after removing all overclocking.

I went and installed windows again on a completely different SSD and had failed installs....

Ended up removing memory sticks and finally stabilized the system.

So my tip to you is:

Before you do any uninstalling or reinstalling of anything. Try removing memory and then swapping around the sticks to see if one of them is faulty and causes the problems.

If you know when blue screens usually happen then run those events again with a memory stick removed/swapped to see if it happens again.

I later tested the memory on a different system and it blue screened also, but after taking the memory out everything went to normal.

Alright, I'll tell him to do a memtest since he will probably be afraid to take out the ram and I'll fix it afterward if memtest says anything conclusive. And yeah, 3.8ghz isn't overclocked at all

Thanks for the help!