OBS in VM Possible?

Go to solution Solved by NelizMastr,
3 hours ago, GeNNex said:

Maybe it’s due to my configuration, but when I use x264 to encode, I see all 16 threads flare up unless I specifically set it to certain cores via affinity. Granted, my system is in no way struggling, but being able totally control the usage is what I’m after. 

That's because direct streaming on the CPU for the best quality hits the CPU very hard. The only ways to reduce that load are to use an other device for encoding (NVENC on Nvidia cards) or another system.

Hey guys. Had an idea come to mind to find a very niche want of mine and couldn’t find any direct solutions on the forums (yes, I looked xD)

Here’s the general scope: Run OBS virtually using a virtualization software, and have anything regarding the stream (my intended use of OBS) on that “OS”. This way I can allocate specific system resources to my real desktop, and the stream can have its own dedicated resources as well. 

The only two things I’m unsure of are latency and quality. I’ve heard of OBS’ NDI plug-in that allows a network signal to be streamed out to whatever platform the user is on, but what’s the quality and latency of an approach like this?

in case anyone needs to know:

Asus GTX 1060 6gb

Ryzen R7 1700 @3.4ghz

20gb DDR4 @3200mhz

x2 Seagate Firecuda SSHD 2TB 

Thanks for the opinions ?

You're better off configuring OBS through its settings in terms of resource management. You can even fire up task manager and change its affinity so it doesn't use all your cores (though I'm not sure if it even uses more than 2).

The overhead from the VM and interupts, may be worse off than just running OBS nativetly. Unless you plan to run it on an entirely separate machine as a VM, but then you'll definitely want a video card in that machine to help with encoding. You'll also be hitting your network pretty hard depending given what settings your source is (4k to OBS and converted to 1080p).

On 12/26/2018 at 7:17 AM, Mikensan said:

You're better off configuring OBS through its settings in terms of resource management. You can even fire up task manager and change its affinity so it doesn't use all your cores (though I'm not sure if it even uses more than 2).

The overhead from the VM and interupts, may be worse off than just running OBS nativetly. Unless you plan to run it on an entirely separate machine as a VM, but then you'll definitely want a video card in that machine to help with encoding. You'll also be hitting your network pretty hard depending given what settings your source is (4k to OBS and converted to 1080p).

Maybe it’s due to my configuration, but when I use x264 to encode, I see all 16 threads flare up unless I specifically set it to certain cores via affinity. Granted, my system is in no way struggling, but being able totally control the usage is what I’m after. 

3 hours ago, GeNNex said:

That's because direct streaming on the CPU for the best quality hits the CPU very hard. The only ways to reduce that load are to use an other device for encoding (NVENC on Nvidia cards) or another system.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro