Is my RX580 actually a RX480?

So bit of a Backstory first:

My best friend has been gaming on a I3 2120 with a GTX 750ti for quite a while now, because he simply didn't have any money to upgrade.

So on Blackfriday I decided to help him out, he saved some 600€ and I tried to give him the best PC I could for the money given.

Long story short we settled on a Build featuring a Ryzen 5 2600 and a RX580, for combined around 350€.

Now, exactly a month later, the PC in itself runs fine plays any game he wants at whatever Graphical Preset 1080p.

But yesterday he poked around a bit and decided to check his GPU with GPU-Z and ran the Superposition Benchmark.

What he noticed we're mainly 3 things

• His Base Clock was at 1120 mHz
  • His Pixel Fillrate at 35.8 GPixel/s
  • His Texture Fillrate was 161.3 GTexel/s

All in all this doesn't really look like what a RX 580 should have but more like a RX480.

But as far as I can tell neither the Pixel Fillrate nor the Texture Fillrate fit in anywhere.

If it is any help this is his GPU-Z Result

image.thumb.png.236d3a1343f533a01da14ba7a432ca4e.png

Am I right in assuming that whatever he got is not a 580? And should I send it back or is there not much difference anyway?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

Paul

I know. But if I pay for a specific Performance I expect to get that performance. And it doesn't quite change the fact that the Frequency is almost 20% lower than it should be

Check in Radeon Wattman if there's some settings incorrectly and maybe even reset it?

While at it, update to 18.12.3?

My gigabyte RX580 has 46.4Gpixels and 208.8GTexels. the bandwidth is also different 

I make intelligent lights do cool things

Which Sapphire model? From what i can gather, revision E7 is RX580. Try overclock to 1400mhz+ and check if it stable. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

50 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Those values are  a tad small even compared to a rx480. Sapphire rx nitro cards have a dual bios system, one is a silent one meant which sacrifices performance for silence and one is the default factory oced full performance one, see if ypur running the right one, the switch is on the back above the Sapphire side logo.

Its a Sapphire Pulse so it doesn't have that switch as far as I am aware

Edit: Since the card is not at my home I had no chance to check this myself but he found a switch. It was on the side not on top. My/Our mistake. It was in "Compute Mode" so now we're checking if and what that has changed.

Edited by PaulG|heulboje21
Overlooked some important information

There's no 480 pulse, so my guess is that it's an rx 580. Clocks are a bit low though. Everything else seems alright to me.

Here's a gpu-z screenshot of my rx 580 nitro for reference.

gpuz.gif

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

6 minutes ago, Strike105X said:

Damn, I'm really puzzled by this myself as well, i know that the pulse is a bit more budget oriented, but after researching the pulse those values are indeed to low, you should have near 44Gpixels/s and near 200 Gtexel/s, if it was a brand new card i suggest contacting Sapphire support.

Not just the clocks, look at the pixel fillrate and texture fillrate compared to yours.

Those values are related to the clock speeds. His speeds are lower, not sure why, but that could be why the rates are also lower.

Ryzen 5 2600 3.9Ghz all cores 1.175V | MSI X470 Gaming Pro | 16GB ADATA Gammix D10 @ 3000C16 | Sapphire RX 5700 XT Pulse | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB & 2x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB | Super Flower Leadex II 650W | Phanteks P350X

Asus VG245HE 24" 1080p 75hz | Logitech X-540 5.1 | Logitech G710+ MX Brown | Logitech G502 Hero | Logitech G440

As it turns out, @Strike105X was right on the money. It was the wrong BIOS that has been selected.

I still don't know why a Gaming Card was set to Compute Mode, but now it seems to all work the way it was intented.