CPU for a basic (but demanding) PC?

Hello there!!

I've a computer that I use mainly for domestic use, almost no gaming: youtube, movies, etc. 
I used to have a G4560, but since I normally have a lot of programs and Chrome tabs opened at the same time the processor load was most of the times very high, even at a 100%. 
Right now I've a 6700k which works very good, but it's a bit of a waste to have this, so I'm going to donate it to my brother.

The question is that I was checking Ryzer processors, and they look amazing in performance-price. The difference between the 2200G and 2400G is over 60€ but the performance looks like it's not worth it at all. What would you recomend? Any other processor?

if you already have a 6700k. there is not much worth in upgrading.

CPU AMD 5800x_____Asus Crosshair VIII_____Asus Strix LC 360_____RAM Corsair Dominator Pro 2x8Gb 3600mhz_____ASUS RTX 3080 Strix

PSU Corsair HX1000w_____CASE Lian Li 011 Dynamic (original choice right? w/9 UNI Fans)_____Keyboard Razer BlackWidow Chroma_____Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma_____Headphones Bose QC25_____Monitor (1) Acer Predator XB1 144hz G-Sync  (2) Benq 144hz G-Sync

Microphone Blue Yeti Black

Razer Blade 14

Also an XBOX one s.

Judging by your Domestic use I would say the Ryzen 2200g, Its cheap and AMD processors have been known for more multi-tasking and not really gaming.

Just now, Acid Panda said:

Yeah and also that, a 6700k is enough to get all your work done and could last you a few years. 

2200g is a good choice. If you want to have some headroom that will let you even do some editing, gaming, and streaming you can get a ryzen 2600

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

5 minutes ago, mxk. said:

2200g is a good choice. If you want to have some headroom that will let you even do some editing, gaming, and streaming you can get a ryzen 2600

I was planning on the 2600 or even the 1700, but they don't have integrated GPU, so I'd need to get and extra Graphic card and increase the budget

7 minutes ago, Acid Panda said:

The point is "selling" it, cause it's like a lot of dead money for my use and get something that fits better the purpose 

Just now, Sphiral said:

I was planning on the 2600 or even the 1700, but they don't have integrated GPU, so I'd need to get and extra Graphic card and increase the budget

If you're not gaming really at all, then the 2200g is the way to go. The ryzen integrated graphics isn't great, but you get what you pay for.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

If you're not gaming really at all, then the 2200g is the way to go. The ryzen integrated graphics isn't great, but you get what you pay for.

I saw that it's WAY better than the Intel ones; It would let me play some Portal 2 someday if I feel the need ?

2 minutes ago, Sphiral said:

I saw that it's WAY better than the Intel ones; It would let me play some Portal 2 someday if I feel the need ?

for sure. The Intel UHD 630 graphics is shit. The ryzen 2200g can do portal for you.

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

1 hour ago, Rhythm8503 said:

Judging by your Domestic use I would say the Ryzen 2200g, Its cheap and AMD processors have been known for more multi-tasking and not really gaming.

My fear is that if it's gonna perform like the G4560, which sometimes my demands were a bit on the limit on that processor.....not sure if the 2200G performs better 

10 minutes ago, Sphiral said:

My fear is that if it's gonna perform like the G4560, which sometimes my demands were a bit on the limit on that processor.....not sure if the 2200G performs better 

Use W7 with Opera or Firefox as browser and it won't suffer.

ASUS X470-PRO • R7 1700 4GHz • Corsair H110i GT P/P • 2x MSI RX 480 8G • Corsair DP 2x8 @3466 • EVGA 750 G2 • Corsair 730T • Crucial MX500 250GB • WD 4TB

I build a pc with the 2400g for my mother a while back to handle a similar work load. Videos/internet browsing/ word processing etc. works great. Pair it with a b-350/b-450 8gb of ram and you have a capable build at a reasonable price.

1 hour ago, Sphiral said:

i'd go with the 2400g not a terrible CPU the IGPU is still good enough for even light gaming, you can save money, and i would go for a smaller SSD over a HDD anyday, get the fastest SSD you can and if your motherboard has an m.2 slot get one of those, for a normal home/office computer an SSD is the fastest upgrade I've ever done 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

4 hours ago, Emanbaird said:

i'd go with the 2400g not a terrible CPU the IGPU is still good enough for even light gaming, you can save money, and i would go for a smaller SSD over a HDD anyday, get the fastest SSD you can and if your motherboard has an m.2 slot get one of those, for a normal home/office computer an SSD is the fastest upgrade I've ever done 

I've already a couple of SSD and a S11 M.2. 
But you're talking about the 2400g which is like +60€ over the 2200g and the performance is a bit better only.....or that's what I see on benchs