Well, I just broke my 24 pin cable :(

CasualGamer...

This may seem like an arbitrary post because just buying a new cable seems like the obvious solution, but here goes. So long story short, I was transferring my system to a new case, and while plugging my psu 24 pin cable into my extension one of the wires broke off. I was thinking about securing the pin back into place with electrical tape, but the integrity of that repair worries me, due to the possibility of a loose connection causing a short. So then, any suggestions?

20181220_210505.jpg

You should be able to stick that right back into the housing, the little wings on the side are a locking mechanism that keep it in there. Make sure its facing the right way 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

You may have to bend a metal flap outwards so its able to relock in the slot, but you should be able to just slide that back in, and give it a good push with needle nose pliers or something to fully slot it back in. The fact that it got pulled out means that the metal "wings" that stick out to lock it in means they are probably flattened right now, and they won't engage firmly or at all unless you bend them out slightly so it goes in snuggly.

Gaming - Ryzen 5800X3D | 64GB 3200mhz  MSI 6900 XT Mini-ITX SFF Build

Home Server (Unraid OS) - Ryzen 2700x | 48GB 3200mhz |  EVGA 1060 6GB | 6TB SSD Cache [3x2TB] 66TB HDD [11x6TB]

From the looks of it, this is a cablemods custom sleeved cable/extension. I would recommend just go and buy a replacement. Even though it has the extra side tabs, it would be better to replace the cable than risking damaging the Mobo, especially if it is an expensive one.

I was able to get the pin installed into it's slot and plug both cables into eachother, however I can't get the connection secure to a point where I would be confident running my PC all day with it. I'm going to go the safe route and order a new cable, thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: With a flashlight I can see that the plastic tabs inside the 24 pin housing have broken off, which explains the loose connection despite the pins wings being fully intact.

Edited by CasualGamer...

27 minutes ago, CasualGamer... said:

I was able to get the pin installed into it's slot and plug both cables into eachother, however I can't get the connection secure to a point where I would be confident running my PC all day with it. I'm going to go the safe route and order a new cable, thanks for the suggestions.

Edit: With a flashlight I can see that the plastic tabs inside the 24 pin housing have broken off, which explains the loose connection despite the pins wings being fully intact.

F

Sorry to hear about your loss

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P