Dell XPS gaming desktop

Hi all,

I'm looking at getting back into desktop PC gaming (now that I'm not moving around for work as much) and retiring my MSI laptop.

I've been trying to get back up to speed with computer hardware, watching Linus, Gamers Nexus, etc as the last time I built my own PC was 2007.

Then I saw the new LTT pre-built series and went to have a look at pre-builds. Dell is having a sale and the below pre-builds looks like a rather good deal.

https://www.dell.com/en-ca/shop/desktops/new-xps-tower/spd/xps-8930-desktop/dxps8930ms_f_h36e

I priced out something similar on PC Part Picker and I get a very similar price. My concern is that there is no upgrade path and that the 8700 isn't a "K" so that if I did want to over clock I might be stuck.

Anyone have any experience with Dell pre-builds and upgrading them?

Thanks.

The 8700 is no slouch, that's for sure. I wouldn't worry too much about not overclocking, but building yourself is the quickest way to get a better understanding of your own PC.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

16 minutes ago, Altershape said:

-Snip-

I concur with what @fasauceome said. If you are looking for upgradability build your own PC. Linus just made holiday PC guide and those are decent guidelines to start with. If you have built PC before and know where to find build guides, building your own PC is easy.

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

35 minutes ago, Altershape said:

Dell pre-builds and upgrading them?

Good luck. From crappy specialized power supplies to non-standard motherboard layouts to (again) power supplies lacking the right connections, Dell systems are a PITA to upgrade.

Now, having said that, I've not looked into those specific systems you listed, just a fair warning on Dell's of years past are very limited. 

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Thanks for your replies.

I had another watch of the Linus holiday build guide and I think I'll go back to building my own PC. It will also allow me to buy the parts over time.