Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Another Bethesda engine fallback? (Load times tied to frame rate? WTF?)

corrado33
 Share

Ok so I've picked up fallout 4 again, heavily modded of course, and I noticed a lot of very... very long load times. Like... way longer than I would ever imagine since all of the mods and game itself is on my SSD. Sometimes even on the order of a minute or two. So I googled around a bit, and downloaded a mod to "fix it." 

 

Well, what the mod does is unlock the frame rate when you're in the loading screen. That's all... that's freaking it. My load times went from minutes to seconds. A 30 second load time before was now maybe 2 seconds.

 

What in the freaking HELL is up with that? How on EARTH does someone developing an engine tie LOADING mechanics to the FRAME RATE? How? And why? Was there a reason for this implementation at one point in time? Is this still a thing in Fallout 76? Why is this engine still in use? WTF?

 

I just don't.... get it. Ok so the game triggers a loading zone. Great... now fallout 4 is "locked" (not really) to 60 FPS, so someone had to say "Hm, if we're loading these assets into the GPU memory, we should only make memory calls at fucking 60 Hz?" What kind of logic is that? Jesus. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen similar retardation in Quake Champions. Actual game assets only start loading once you're past ALL intro videos (I found this out by timing loading screen which was the same skipping all intro videos or playing them all). Which means if you watch the epilepsy warning, Bethesda Logo and then 2 minute long action intro, actual game assets will start loading when action video ends, leaving you stuck on LOADING screen the same long frigging time. I was absolutely shocked when I found this out. We run multicore systems with tons of RAM and they decided not to load assets while video is playing, turning game loading time to ridiculous levels even for high end SSD powered system, just because game is literally sitting with its hands up its own ass, doing nothing that entire time.

 

Or how they were locking physics to framerate coz they are lazy assholes, if you unlocked the framerate because 60fps locked looks like turd compared to 144Hz and then physics go all fucked up rendering game useless (yeah Bioshock and NFS Rivals, I'm looking at you!).

 

I miss TotalBiscuit because he was the only one with massive player following and reach, who was super critical to shit like this.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Ok so I've picked up fallout 4 again, heavily modded of course, and I noticed a lot of very... very long load times. Like... way longer than I would ever imagine since all of the mods and game itself is on my SSD. Sometimes even on the order of a minute or two. So I googled around a bit, and downloaded a mod to "fix it." 

 

Well, what the mod does is unlock the frame rate when you're in the loading screen. That's all... that's freaking it. My load times went from minutes to seconds. A 30 second load time before was now maybe 2 seconds.

 

What in the freaking HELL is up with that? How on EARTH does someone developing an engine tie LOADING mechanics to the FRAME RATE? How? And why? Was there a reason for this implementation at one point in time? Is this still a thing in Fallout 76? Why is this engine still in use? WTF?

 

I just don't.... get it. Ok so the game triggers a loading zone. Great... now fallout 4 is "locked" (not really) to 60 FPS, so someone had to say "Hm, if we're loading these assets into the GPU memory, we should only make memory calls at fucking 60 Hz?" What kind of logic is that? Jesus. 

 

38 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

I've seen similar retardation in Quake Champions. Actual game assets only start loading once you're past ALL intro videos (I found this out by timing loading screen which was the same skipping all intro videos or playing them all). Which means if you watch the epilepsy warning, Bethesda Logo and then 2 minute long action intro, actual game assets will start loading when action video ends, leaving you stuck on LOADING screen the same long frigging time. I was absolutely shocked when I found this out. We run multicore systems with tons of RAM and they decided not to load assets while video is playing, turning game loading time to ridiculous levels even for high end SSD powered system, just because game is literally sitting with its hands up its own ass, doing nothing that entire time.

 

Or how they were locking physics to framerate coz they are lazy assholes, if you unlocked the framerate because 60fps locked looks like turd compared to 144Hz and then physics go all fucked up rendering game useless (yeah Bioshock and NFS Rivals, I'm looking at you!).

 

I miss TotalBiscuit because he was the only one with massive player following and reach, who was super critical to shit like this.

One of the things that put me off Fallout 76 was a JackFrags video where they noticed that the games tickrate was linked to FPS. They found that looking at the floor got them 200+ FPS and they basically looked like they were speed hacking...

 

Shown here: 

(Mods please remove if not allowed)

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

 

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers
OS: Windows 10 Pro

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

@MrJoosh That is old news as they originally put a band aid on it by capping the frame rate so that they could fix the issue (which according to the patch notes when they removed the frame rate cap they had done after they put the cap in).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, demonix00 said:

@MrJoosh That is old news as they originally put a band aid on it by capping the frame rate so that they could fix the issue (which according to the patch notes when they removed the frame rate cap they had done after they put the cap in).

I know it's old, but just seemed relevant to the topic of conversation for anyone that had missed it is all...

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

 

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers
OS: Windows 10 Pro

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×