Alienware 15R2 floor model 6820HQ, GTX 980M thermal throttling at 85C?

Go to solution Solved by r2724r16,
12 minutes ago, The_ZMD said:

would undervolting help?

Yes. To give you some context, my 4700HQ dropped from 95C under load, to around 80C with a stable 3.4 GHz clockspeed with a minor undervolt of -0.1V. 

Use Intel XTU to undervolt: it's really easy to use and friendly for beginners.

I broke my initial 15R2 laptop, but was in accidental warranty so I got another laptop which I am quite sure was a floor/display model. Came with a big brick charger (12.3 A 240 W) heating was a problem but didn't affect things significantly. I got a new charger from Alienware as the wire wore off due to fatigue. This charger is a normal one, everything works fine unless I game. I went into BIOS turned on the "Performance mode" for CPU (little bit of help not significant) and did the same for fan. The fan sounds like airplane is starting, so I opened the laptop, cleaned the fans (not much dust as they had sticky sacrificial tape) I have the option for OverClocking but I don't think it is of much use for this processor, would undervolting help? Haven't repasted it and the laptop is around 2-3 years old. Don't want to upgrade it, still have accidental warranty till 2020.

Any solutions? If repasting is required, thermal pad or paste? Could it be low power in electricity supply as new charger has low current and wattage? Also this laptop has 4K touch screen, which I didn't want 1K is enough for me. Can lowering the resolution for everything to 1K help?

P.s: My battery has been dead for a year, alienware couldn't replace it and they don't have even refurbished ones as they stopped production and I can't use 3rd party products so as to void warranty, so can I remove my battery and keep it aside? Would make the laptop way lighter and airy as well!

12 minutes ago, The_ZMD said:

would undervolting help?

Yes. To give you some context, my 4700HQ dropped from 95C under load, to around 80C with a stable 3.4 GHz clockspeed with a minor undervolt of -0.1V. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

2 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Thanks. I actually have used XTU but only for overclocking as I wanted to improve performance, but not much performance increase was found so quit using it.

Did undervolting GPU help as well?

And any idea on why software just stops, no crashing report or anything?

4 minutes ago, The_ZMD said:

Did undervolting GPU help as well?

I haven't undervolted my laptop GPU, so I don't have any precise numbers for you. But GPU undervolting will certainly help with temps under load.

5 minutes ago, The_ZMD said:

And any idea on why software just stops, no crashing report or anything?

Not sure what you're trying to say. 

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

6 hours ago, r2724r16 said:

I haven't undervolted my laptop GPU, so I don't have any precise numbers for you. But GPU undervolting will certainly help with temps under load.

Not sure what you're trying to say. 

Hey just wanted to say thanks. It worked. Much better benchmarks and almost no fan noise!