[First Post] Upgrading for VR/Gaming.. Build for a zen 2 upgrade?

Heya beautiful LTT nerds! First post here so let me know if I'm jacking stuff up.

I've ascended to VR gaming last month and my PC's overall VR performance makes me want to throw it into the ocean. It's been about 4 years or so since I built it.. so some upgrading is in order to optimize VR+gaming capabilities.

I'm reciting my current build from work so my apologies I can't remember exact specs at the moment.

Current specs that need upgrading

CPU: i5 4570

GPU: GTX 970 recently got a 1070 ti on sale

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 5 (or maybe Gaming 7 I can't remember)

Memory: 16GB [2x8] DDR3.. (two different brands.. started with 1x8 and added a second one later)

SSD: 250GB (can't remember brand)

I'm having trouble deciding between these two options:

1) A pricier long-term build with an overclocked i5 8600k

2) A less-expensive short(ish)-term build with a (possibly OC'ed) 2600 and a X470 mobo with the potential to upgrade to a zen 2 (rumored to be a slam dunk for VR+gaming from what I understand?)

Any input is appreciated! ?

Just a quick note -- I've got an Oculus Rift 3-sensor setup if that matters much.

Go with the 2600, its a strong chip and leaves a good lane open for upgrades in the future 'cause AM4. If you're curious on what the next gen of Ryzen makes, wait then. Prices of the 2600 will only go down

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

Amd has comitted support for am4 until 2020, it is very likely that 7nm (the next generation of amd cpu's) will be able to use current generation motherboards.

The 8600k IS a faster cpu now, but the intel platform has little upgradability and definitely none down the line and both cpu's are more than sufficient for vr in current games.

2 hours ago, Slottr said:

Go with the 2600, its a strong chip and leaves a good lane open for upgrades in the future 'cause AM4. If you're curious on what the next gen of Ryzen makes, wait then. Prices of the 2600 will only go down

Awesome, thanks for the input! The $170ish price tag for a 2600 doesn't really phase me compared to the 8600K's, so I wouldn't be too miffed if the prices dropped slightly in the near future.

7 minutes ago, k.m.p said:

Amd has comitted support for am4 until 2020, it is very likely that 7nm (the next generation of amd cpu's) will be able to use current generation motherboards.

The 8600k IS a faster cpu now, but the intel platform has little upgradability and definitely none down the line and both cpu's are more than sufficient for vr in current games.

Thanks! I'm definitely looking to do more frequent upgrades (not 4+ years) with my new system because I've recently joined the PCMR in regards to gaming. I absolutely love VR, but my system's performance was really sabotaging the experience as of late.