R9 270 Crashes

meenmeen1103
Go to solution Solved by meenmeen1103,

Just wanted to update. Successfully flashed clean stock Sapphire BIOS on both 270's, then ran into compatibility issues with running Afterburner and the Wattman software included with the new driver package installs. Having only one of those softwares running, both cards run completely fine.

So I was recently given 2 Sapphire Dual X R9 270's and a 8800 GTX. GTX still sitting dusty, but completely tore down and cleaned both 270's, fresh MX4 paste applied. Ran DDU on my secondary rig, installed known working good driver for my other R9 series cards. 

One of the 270's runs Valley and Heaven perfectly fine at stock settings, 945MHz/1400MHz between 55-60C for hours with fans at 30% according to Afterburner. Unstable with any significant core overclock.

Second 270 is unstable unless I underclock core to 930MHz. Both cards are voltage locked. Looking for possible solutions for at least the second card that won't reach stock boost stable, worth trying other drivers? BIOS mods to raise voltage? (temps are good, leaves room for it imo.) Have never messed with GPU BIOS flashing but this could be perfect learning opportunity. I'm assuming this issue could be due to degradation, know very little about the history of these cards.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

look

I bought 2 of these cards

after 4 months of waiting they arrived

1 of them was dead

the other was like your case

but there is one diffrance

I have the 1024sp verion of the card

I manged to flash it with an R9 270X bios

and it worked

I got around 20% performance

so I guess you can indeed flash it

OR

what happened with my friends RX 580

it was unstable

he had to under volt the card

after that it worked fine

Only now started looking into BIOS versions. Installed GPU-Z in the test rig (should've had it already but fresh windows) and current BIOS version on the 270 that doesn't need to be underclocked, according to techpowerup, is meant for a 280 GPU -_-. Gonna look into flashing the correct Sapphire 270 BIOS to this card first, then swap cards, and if the second (underclocked) card also has incorrect BIOS maybe try the 270x BIOS. Looking at DOS loaders.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

Just wanted to update. Successfully flashed clean stock Sapphire BIOS on both 270's, then ran into compatibility issues with running Afterburner and the Wattman software included with the new driver package installs. Having only one of those softwares running, both cards run completely fine.