Windows 10 Product Key Query

justhereforthememes
1 minute ago, nirav88 said:

My question is that can you use a windows 7 or a windows 8 product key if you install windows 10. 

yep

11 minutes ago, nirav88 said:

My question is that can you use a windows 7 or a windows 8 product key if you install windows 10. 

If your Win 10 was upgraded from 7 or 8 to 10 then it should activate automatically. If not, then no

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

10 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

If your Win 10 was upgraded from 7 or 8 to 10 then it should activate automatically. If not, then no

As of this summer (haven't tried since), Windows 7 keys would work to activate the equivalent Windows 10 install (from my understanding, all Windows 7 keys were made to work in Windows 10 equivalent, so Win7 pro and above will activate a Win10 pro install).

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

As of this summer (haven't tried since), Windows 7 keys would work to activate the equivalent Windows 10 install (from my understanding, all Windows 7 keys were made to work in Windows 10 equivalent, so Win7 pro and above will activate a Win10 pro install).

I will try that with my parent's desktop again. I tried that after the free upgrade duration was over but could not. Thanks for letting me know. 

CPU i7 8700k MB  Asrock Z370 Killer SLI/ac GPU EVGA GTX1060 6 GB RAM 16GB DDR4 Gskill Ripjaw 3200 Mhz PSU EVGA SuperNova 750 G1+Storage 1x1TB WD Blue + 250GB WD Blue M.2 CASE Fractal design define C

Just now, Rex_G said:

I will try that with my parent's desktop again. I tried that after the free upgrade duration was over but could not. Thanks for letting me know. 

Last time I tried (this summer) it was still working. The "free upgrade" deadline was a bit flexible ;)

3 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

Last time I tried (this summer) it was still working. The "free upgrade" deadline was a bit flexible ;)

It just took me to windows store page saying I had missed the upgrade >.<

6 minutes ago, Rex_G said:

It just took me to windows store page saying I had missed the upgrade >.<

When installing Windows 10, enter your Windows 7 key.

You can't do the "free upgrade", but you can do a clean install of Windows 10 and use your Win 7 key. That's how I did it and that worked.

EDIT :  @Rex_G BTW, not sure how it works with OEM and "grey market" keys, the ones I did it with were all retail ;)

Edited by wkdpaul