Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

New to computers

Clockworkz
 Share

Hey everyone! I’d love some assistance and some expert knowledge.

 

looking to build my first computer EVER. I’m relatively dumb with computers. My buddy gave me a Thermaltake Chaser MK-I case so that will be the base for the build.

 

My goals for the computer will be to play any game I want to, schoolwork when needed and websurfing of course.

 

I think that 1500-2000$ USD is a good range to get this accomplished and obviously the cheaper the better to spend on other peripherals.

 

Any questions please ask. Trying to get a feel for what I’ll need. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Now when you say school work, are you doing any 3d modeling? Are you working with CAD or Adobe? Do you engineer any audio? Etc.

 

Otherwise you can build a really cheap AMD build that will last you a few years and will be up-gradable when the time comes. 

 

Welcome to the forums, don't forget to quote someone using the little arrow below someone's post. Or simply @ and type their name. Like this, @Clockworkz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Do you have a monitor already, what about peripherals like keyboard and mouse? There's a basic setup if you only need a computer. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Clockworkz said:

feel for what I’ll need. 

Since you've never built a system before, don't buy something nice.

Buy something cheap, like dirt cheap, and if you break it during your learning process, you're not out a ton of cash.

Then, when you're comfortable, buy nice.

This forum is chock full of folks who have gone out, burned thousands, and broken their gear because they didn't have the experience.

Start cheap, start small, get fancy later

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, tomswife said:

 

Do you have a monitor already, what about peripherals like keyboard and mouse? There's a basic setup if you only need a computer. 

I don't mean to offend you, but that's an unnecessarily expensive build there. He already has a case, for one. Second, nobody really needs a X470 Taichi for every day use. There's a lot of changes that can be made to this build to make it better and more affordable, while keeping the same performance.

 

However, I would go with what @Radium_Angel said. Go for something cheap, and upgrade your way up.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, DVA said:

Now when you say school work, are you doing any 3d modeling? Are you working with CAD or Adobe? Do you engineer any audio? Etc.

 

Otherwise you can build a really cheap AMD build that will last you a few years and will be up-gradable when the time comes. 

 

Welcome to the forums, don't forget to quote someone using the little arrow below someone's post. Or simply @ and type their name. Like this, @Clockworkz

Im not into doing things like that, I’m going to school for engineering but I don’t ever really see myself doing anything real taxing except maybe some light CAD work in the future perhaps.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, tomswife said:

 

Do you have a monitor already, what about peripherals like keyboard and mouse? There's a basic setup if you only need a computer. 

I have a mouse I use with my gaming laptop but the monitor and keyboard aren’t something that I’m adding into the price of the build.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, consider your use, don't buy something between 1500-2000 USD. Here's what I would recommend:

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $720.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 15:42 EST-0500

 

Get a 144Hz 1080p gaming monitor with this, and you're all set. When you're more versed with building PCs, slowly upgrade your parts one-by-one.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Krosis said:

Honestly, consider your use, don't buy something between 1500-2000 USD. Here's what I would recommend:

 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung - 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.00 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: XFX - Radeon RX 580 8 GB GTS Black Core Edition Video Card  ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Thermaltake - Chaser MK-I ATX Full Tower Case  (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($79.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $720.74
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 15:42 EST-0500

 

Get a 144Hz 1080p gaming monitor with this, and you're all set. When you're more versed with building PCs, slowly upgrade your parts one-by-one.

I added a 650W PSU for future upgradability. If you want, you can go with a 550W 80+ Gold rater power supply to reduce the cost even more. The GPU also comes with 3 free games, just saying ;)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone is right, my build is way over the top. I wasn't sure what games you play, what monitor you have, etc.. BUTTT, if I made a post and knew I wanted to spend that much, what they are saying is irrelevant. I spent too much on my build, and I love it!

 

If you're using it for school or anything other then gaming, unless you're getting a small 1080p monitor, I wouldn't recommend 1080p. I'd go at least 1440p. And I'm speaking from experience here. 

 

Also, they mentioned upgrade as you go, well in that case any old motherboard just won't do. Lol. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Krosis said:

I added a 650W PSU for future upgradability. If you want, you can go with a 550W 80+ Gold rater power supply to reduce the cost even more. The GPU also comes with 3 free games, just saying ;)

I would change the 250gb ssd to a 500 as it's only 30 more bucks. The 250gb ssds are kinda. A bad value with how cheap 500gb drives are. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Clockworkz said:

light CAD work

While everyone is throwing around PCPartPicker links and Ryzen builds, let me suggest this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-DQ57TML-LGA1156-Socket-BLKDQ57TML-Motherboard/332945380072?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

 

It's super cheap, and will work for the time being, and more importantly, if you break it, you're now out a ton of cash. By the time you are comfortable putting things together, adjusting the BIOS, etc, all those links listed above will have become outdated, and prices will have changed.

 

So, start used, start cheap, come back and ask about new parts when you are comfortable inside a box.

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, Krosis said:

I added a 650W PSU for future upgradability. If you want, you can go with a 550W 80+ Gold rater power supply to reduce the cost even more. The GPU also comes with 3 free games, just saying ;)

This will play any game I throw at it? And generally perform well? I changed the SSD to 500gb and I love the price of this considering the 3 free games also.

 

im coming from an ASUS GL502vs laptop so trying to see where I’m at here

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

While everyone is throwing around PCPartPicker links and Ryzen builds, let me suggest this:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-DQ57TML-LGA1156-Socket-BLKDQ57TML-Motherboard/332945380072?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

 

It's super cheap, and will work for the time being, and more importantly, if you break it, you're now out a ton of cash. By the time you are comfortable putting things together, adjusting the BIOS, etc, all those links listed above will have become outdated, and prices will have changed.

 

So, start used, start cheap, come back and ask about new parts when you are comfortable inside a box.

With this one I’d have to go with Intel correct?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Clockworkz said:

This will play any game I throw at it? And generally perform well? I changed the SSD to 500gb and I love the price of this considering the 3 free games also.

 

im coming from an ASUS GL502vs laptop so trying to see where I’m at here

Yep it will play any game you want at 1080p. I have the same graphics card, and it works really well. I meant to add the 500GB SSD, but accidentally selected the 250GB one. Go for the 500GB, definitely. Have fun! Make sure too look at lot of guides, and refer to your motherboard and case manual often!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

PCPartPicker part list:

 

I think you would be better off building something like this with a lot of upgrade ability.

My current build ↘️⬇️↙️

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Clockworkz said:

With this one I’d have to go with Intel correct?

Yes, but there are plenty of options, I was merely showing you one cheap option. If you want AMD, I can find that for you

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Clockworkz said:

Hey everyone! I’d love some assistance and some expert knowledge.

 

looking to build my first computer EVER. I’m relatively dumb with computers. My buddy gave me a Thermaltake Chaser MK-I case so that will be the base for the build.

 

My goals for the computer will be to play any game I want to, schoolwork when needed and websurfing of course.

 

I think that 1500-2000$ USD is a good range to get this accomplished and obviously the cheaper the better to spend on other peripherals.

 

Any questions please ask. Trying to get a feel for what I’ll need. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($159.99 @ Amazon) 
CPU Cooler: Scythe - SCNJ-4000 84.64 CFM CPU Cooler  ($39.95 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: ASRock - Fatal1ty B450 GAMING K4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($97.97 @ Newegg) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($109.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Crucial - MX500 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($42.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($58.50 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($479.99 @ Newegg) 
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($49.89 @ OutletPC) 
Total: $1039.27
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-17 21:56 EST-0500

you can use the leftover money for a 1440p 165hz monitor or so.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Radium_Angel said:

Yes, but there are plenty of options, I was merely showing you one cheap option. If you want AMD, I can find that for you

Either one is good with me really. I’m sure either is comparable to each other.

 

i like how cheap that motherboard is though for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×