Learning more on Python.

Vandorlot

I want to learn python and so far i have watched this video and have learned about the basics. Python is my first language. What would you guys recommend to learn more about python. I want to learn how it can interact with the os, programs, and online but I dont know where to start.

My Rig

CPU - Ryzen 5 1600@3.8ghz          GPU - XFX XXX RX580 8g          Cooler - Arctic Freezer 33 eSports edition green          Motherboard - Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3          Ram -  G.Skill 2x8 Ripjaws 5 2666                   Case - Pahntecs P400s TGE Modded with Green accents          PSU - Seasonic M1211 evo 620w          SSD - Samsung 960 evo 500 GB          HDD - Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm 2tb       

Fans - 2 be quiet SilentWings 3         OS - Windows 10 Home 64-Bit         Cables - Cable Mod Green Cable Extension

Peripherals

Mouse - Logitech G502          Keyboard - k95 Platinum Brown          Headset - Philips SHP9500s + Vmoda Boom Pro          Monitor - LG 29UM69GB

Webcam - USB webcam for Wii Fitness game xD

The best thing you can do is try - start writing small scripts that use parts of the standard library to do stuff - like ask for two numbers and then output a result etc. Then move to something different or bit more advanced, start analyzing and solving problems, start looking for solutions. The scope is very wide.

And there are third party libraries and tools too. You can for example use Selenium to automate doing something on a website.  RenPy is a very simple visual novel "game" engine and there is for example Django the web framework and more.

Find already existing applications that are simple or appear simple, and try to recreate that. Like for example if you're doing games, code some easy stuff like Tic-Tac-Toe, 2048, or even Tetris. You can draw all of these games in a console window.

By taking something that already exist, you can learn a lot more about software development processes than just coding.

Make a game. Nothing tests your knowledge of a language than to code a full fledge game. 

Sudo make me a sandwich 

I'm not sure if this is too basic for you, I'm going through these exercises at the moment.

https://www.practicepython.org/

Making games will require a lot of trouble-shooting so you can test your knowledge in that regard. I'm not up to them yet, but rhe later problems involve tic-tac-toe, guessing games and hangman.

• 1 month later...

If you have done with the basics I will recommend you to start solving programs.

You can start solving problems asked in interviews on platforms such as InterviewBit .

Edited by colonel_mortis

Fail alott. dont be afraid to fail. like @Mira Yurizaki sais, begin small. maybe fix some puzzles but "practise makes perfect" ;) no language is the best to begin with or the only tool for the job. youll start to see other languages have benefits too. just start slow and small. accept it when a goal is said to be too big, but anything that works is a great accomplisment for you (even if others dislike it or give feedback on how to improve it).

Think of a basic project, such as a simple appointment booking program, code as much as you can and then learn anything that you don't know. You can always expand the features in the future. 

OSINT 

On 12/17/2018 at 5:29 PM, wasab said:

Make a game. Nothing tests your knowledge of a language than to code a full fledge game. 

its also a great way to get into some pretty bad habits, even more so when you're starting.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

For the life of me I can't figure out how some new developers can create games. I've been regularly practicing for some 5 years now, and I'm just now starting to try to make games and I'm struggling pretty hard.

Even pong is fairly hard, and that's before including a computer opponent:

• You'll need to figure out how to load and display images.
  • You'll need to figure out some collision method.
  • You'll need to figure out how to display 2d images in 3d space.
  • You'll need to figure out how to render text.
  • You'll need to figure out how to calculate the direction that the ball should deflect off the paddle and sides of the playable area.
    • That means you'll need to figure out how to work with vectors, velocities, and matrix math.
  • You'll need to figure out some kind of menu system, how to display it, and how the user can click on options with their mouse.

If you want a challenging computer opponent that's still beatable, it can actually get fairly hard.

I would recommend that OP start looking at places like ProjectEuler.net if you're good at math. Otherwise I'm not sure where to look for programming challenges.

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

7 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

For the life of me I can't figure out how some new developers can create games. I've been regularly practicing for some 5 years now, and I'm just now starting to try to make games and I'm struggling pretty hard.

I mean, you're not wrong. If we take this to a different scale, EA's new looter-shooter 'Anthem' developed by renowned Canadian studio BioWare took 6 years to develop and people are already saying there isn't enough to do. According to Wikipedia they have 800 employees and a good portion of them were involved in this game's development. To make a game you almost need to create a small world within your program. That doesn't happen overnight unfortunately. Python probably isn't a great language to develop games either. I'd use something like C# personally.