Want to build a Gaming PC, have no experience.

Salicyl

Hey guys, I dont know if Im correct posting it here, but I just recieved my christmas bonus and want to build a new PC from it. The issue is, I simply dont know what numbers to look at etc. when it comes to performance...

So I simply want to ask: Can anyone give me some good "items" to purchase for a good gaming-build? 4000$ budget.

And yes, Im planning on building it myself, even though I have close to no experience, so any tipps would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you all in advance! :)

Find a free PC to get some build experience. Doesn't have to be good just something you can hack with. Get your hand in before you muck around with your new expensive parts.

If you're interested in a product please download and read the manual first.

Don't forget to tag or quote in your reply if you want me to know you've answered or have another question.

Well, I did somwehat disassemble my own current pc once already (removed GPU, Cooling, CPU, Hard drives, RAM) so by biggest "issues" are the installation of the PSU and Motherboard, and the correct wiring of those two.

$4000 is too much for a PC IMO.

$2000-2500 should be enough for a great PC with peripherals and a decent monitor.

Where are you located by the way, and do you care about aesthetics?

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

13 minutes ago, Salicyl said:

Hey guys, I dont know if Im correct posting it here, but I just recieved my christmas bonus and want to build a new PC from it. The issue is, I simply dont know what numbers to look at etc. when it comes to performance...

So I simply want to ask: Can anyone give me some good "items" to purchase for a good gaming-build? 4000$ budget.

And yes, Im planning on building it myself, even though I have close to no experience, so any tipps would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thank you all in advance! :)

My tips honestly would be, watch loads of gaming pc build guides and pc and tech YouTube videos. It really helps. I knew barely anything about PCs and after just over a month of watching PC YouTube videos, I would know how to build a pc probably with no  or little help. 

Also when spending $4000 on building 1 PC be REALLY sure that you want to do this, because if you buy all the parts and go off the idea that’s a massive waste of money

Hope this helped, all the best and hope your build goes well

Just now, Omnigenous said:

My tips honestly would be, watch loads of gaming pc build guides and pc and tech YouTube videos. It really helps. I knew barely anything about PCs and after just over a month of watching PC YouTube videos, I would know how to build a pc probably with no  or little help. 

Also when spending $4000 on building 1 PC be REALLY sure that you want to do this, because if you buy all the parts and go off the idea that’s a massive waste of money

Hope this helped, all the best and hope your build goes well

Also $4000 is slight overkill on your first build

So you guys would recommend going for a prebuilt one? My current PC is pretty outdated... dont get me wrong, it works but it could be A LOT better.... (had this PC since 2012)

So, in that case: Which company would you guys/gals recommend for a prebuilt one?

It's not hard to build, I just built my first PC (check sig). But I'm also not you're average person. If you have common sense and are good with your hands you'll be just fine after watching maybe one youtube video.

What you need to research is the parts to use.

Check out:

AMD Ryzen processors and Intel 8th and 9th gen processors.

Graphics Cards, you have a good budget so look Vega 64, GTX 1080, 1080 TI, RTX 2080, RTX 2080 TI. Cheaper ones are Vega 56, RTX 2070

Get a good motherboard, if you go Intel, get Z390, spend at least $180 on one. With your budget I would spend between $200-350 for a really nice one.

Get an NVMe SSD. Preferably the Samsung 970 EVO, get 1TB since you're ballin. Or get the 500gb and 1TB SSD.

Get a good power supply, like the EVGA 750 G2 Gold

Get a case you like, but make sure it can fit an ATX size motherboard, unless you want something smaller.

Here's an idea of everything need:

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

Just now, Salicyl said:

So you guys would recommend going for a prebuilt one? My current PC is pretty outdated... dont get me wrong, it works but it could be A LOT better.... (had this PC since 2012)

I wouldn't buy a prebuilt.

You can make a higher preforming PC on your own.

"Make sense? Oh, what fun is there in making sense?"
-Discord

@Salicyl As I tell everyone on this forum, the parts you get should be determined by what you will be doing on it, not the whims of other people's opinions. As such, consider your part and software options with the end objective in mind. What will you be doing? What do you want to be able to do on your PC? And in many cases, you should avoid buying pre-builts, as @xKyric has said - unless it's coming to you at a decent value (the parts included warrant the same or similar price to the cost of the pre-built in question).

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

@Salicyl As I tell everyone on this forum, the parts you get should be determined by what you will be doing on it, not the whims of other people's opinions. As such, consider your part and software options with the end objective in mind. What will you be doing? What do you want to be able to do on your PC?

Play Games and fuck around on the Interwebs.. thats basically it...and like stated, I simply do not know what any of the numbers below for examples a GPU mean...so I dont really understand whats good or not...

5 minutes ago, tomswife said:

It's not hard to build, I just built my first PC (check sig). But I'm also not you're average person. If you have common sense and are good with your hands you'll be just fine after watching maybe one youtube video.

What you need to research is the parts to use.

Check out:

AMD Ryzen processors and Intel 8th and 9th gen processors.

Graphics Cards, you have a good budget so look Vega 64, GTX 1080, 1080 TI, RTX 2080, RTX 2080 TI. Cheaper ones are Vega 56, RTX 2070

Get a good motherboard, if you go Intel, get Z390, spend at least $180 on one. With your budget I would spend between $200-350 for a really nice one.

Get an NVMe SSD. Preferably the Samsung 970 EVO, get 1TB since you're ballin. Or get the 500gb and 1TB SSD.

Get a good power supply, like the EVGA 750 G2 Gold

Get a case you like, but make sure it can fit an ATX size motherboard, unless you want something smaller.

Here's an idea of everything need:

This DEFINATELY looks like something I'd be interested in... soo on a scale of potato to professional builder, how hard would this build be? I mean my main "fears" of building a PC are A: dropping the CPU onto the pins, B; Installing the motherboard and C; wiring everything up correctly without somehow causing a shot circuit...

@Salicyl What games will you be playing? Some are more CPU intensive, while others are more GPU-bound. This will determine what requires more attention in your build. Also, will you need more than 512GB of storage? If not, I guess you can go for an M.2 NVMe SSD and 8-16GB DDR4 RAM. Those should apply regardless of your build choice (unless you somehow need ECC for anything). I didn't see any professional workloads mentioned, so I'm leaving out workstation/prosumer parts. You'll be looking at either a Ryzen 7 or a Core i7 as your highest CPU suggestion in this scenario. From what I can tell, the Intel ore i9 is a bad value proposition for what you'll be doing (unless you need the absolute fastest, no matter the price).

2 minutes ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

@Salicyl What games will you be playing? Some are more CPU intensive, while others are more GPU-bound. This will determine what requires more attention in your build. Also, will you need more than 512GB of storage? If not, I guess you can go for an M.2 NVMe SSD and 8-16GB DDR4 RAM. Those should apply regardless of your build choice (unless you somehow need ECC for anything). I didn't see any professional workloads mentioned, so I'm leaving out workstation/prosumer parts. You'll be looking at either a Ryzen 7 or a Core i7 as your highest CPU suggestion in this scenario. From what I can tell, the Intel ore i9 is a bad value proposition for what you'll be doing (unless you need the absolute fastest, no matter the price)...

Hard to tell what games I play, mostly across the whole spectrum of genres (apart from fighters) Although I do like my fair share of from what I can see quite RAM heavy games like Escape from Tarkov or other less optimized games. Budged wouldnt really be an issue but saving money wherever you can is always appreciated, so if you say I can roughly get a similar gaming performance with an i7 as I would with an i9, Id definately go and get an i7... Id say my minimum I'd like would be 32GB RAM and maybe a 1TB SSD and an HDD for mass storage, if those are even used nowadays?

@Salicyl

To keep things conservative (unless you absolutely need to game in 4K60FPS), I suggest the following, general build template:

• Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz (2x8GB or 4x4GB) RAM
  • nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti or Titan XP (Pascal - no other variants)
  • SAMSUNG 960 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD
  • 1024GB (1TB), 10kRPM, SATA 3, SSHD
  • 80+ Gold (or better), dual-rail, 800W, modular PSU
  • Noctua CPU cooler for your CPU (at least 2 fans - the bigger, the better)
  • case and motherboard choice are left to anyone who follows behind this post :P 
  • if you want a better audio experience, simply say so (I can make suggestions for such)

If you need anything else, there are tons of people here who can make suggestions for that :D 

16 minutes ago, Salicyl said:

This DEFINATELY looks like something I'd be interested in... soo on a scale of potato to professional builder, how hard would this build be? I mean my main "fears" of building a PC are A: dropping the CPU onto the pins, B; Installing the motherboard and C; wiring everything up correctly without somehow causing a shot circuit...

With your budget, that's one bad ass system. If you really want to spend more, get the 2080 ti. Don't worry about what games you play, that computer will handle anything. With your budget, I'm not sure why people are asking what you're going to play. Good luck. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium

1 minute ago, TopHatProductions115 said:

@Salicyl

To keep things conservative (unless you absolutely need to game in 4K60FPS), I suggest the following, general build template:

• Intel Core i7-8700K or AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
  • 16GB DDR4 2400MHz (2x8GB or 4x4GB) RAM
  • nVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti or Titan XP (Pascal - no other variants)
  • SAMSUNG 960 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe SSD
  • 1024GB (1TB), 10kRPM, SATA 3, SSHD
  • 80+ Gold (or better), dual-rail, 800W, modular PSU
  • Noctua CPU cooler for your CPU (at least 2 fans - the bigger, the better)
  • case and motherboard choice are left to anyone who follows behind this post :P 

Those ARE some nice specs I have to admit, but I am considering upgrading to 4k, and for some reason I love the Idea of a water cooled CPU... I dont know why.. just feels more fancy (not custom tubing, just a premade kit) Also would this be compatible with a RTX 2080? Cuz from all I heard that is a pretty beast GPU... but like stated Im not too sure about anything xD

22 minutes ago, Salicyl said:

Dropping cpu in its easy as pie. I promise, I was worried about this as well. It literally falls in place. I just did a second build as Christmas gift. You won't short circuit anything. I built my computer on the motherboard box first just to test it. 

@Salicyl If you really want it, go for an RXT 2080 Ti. The 8700K won't hold it back much (if at all). Unless you're doing some heavily-threaded workloads (in addition to the high clock speeds offered), the Core i7-8700K still stands as a good option from Intel. Also, be careful not to fall into this trap:

2 minutes ago, tomswife said:

Dropping cpu in its easy as pie. I promise, I was worried about this as well. It literally falls in place. I just did a second build as Christmas gift. You won't short circuit anything. I built my computer on the motherboard box first just to test it. 

tbh, I was never concerned about plugging something in the wrong way until I watched this: 

Since I dont have a damn clue wth has happened there, Im afraid of messing up in the same fashion 

In both of the videos below, look for which CPUs get the best FPS numbers (higher is usually better) :

42 minutes ago, Salicyl said:

tbh, I was never concerned about plugging something in the wrong way until I watched this: 

Since I dont have a damn clue wth has happened there, Im afraid of messing up in the same fashion 

You'll be fine, don't read into it to much. You'll just start to second guess yourself. Im a very techy person so it might just be me, but it's rather simple. 

Also, you should consider building a high end AMD build as I have because I have good faith that AMD will deliver in early 2019, making an upgrade to their next generation absolutely worthwhile. 

Grab this and upgrade cpu in 2019 and you'll have one bad computer. This is exactly what I did, except went with 2600x and Vega 56 with plans to upgrade next year. And this system already won't hold you back from not a damn thing. 

Be a BOSS.

2 minutes ago, tomswife said:

Grab this and upgrade cpu in 2019 and you'll have one bad computer. This is exactly what I did, except went with 2600x and Vega 56 with plans to upgrade next year. And this system already won't hold you back from not a damn thing. 

If he will upgrade so soon, a Ryzen 3 or 5 would be a better way to hold off (probably a R5 2600).

ALSO, that case is for MICRO ATX not full ATX. That mobo won't fit in there!

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

Just now, Shiv78 said:

If he will upgrade so soon, a Ryzen 3 or 5 would be a better way to hold off (probably a R5 2600).

I absolutely agree. Thanks for catching that.  If it's not worthwhile then at ieast you still have the highest end of the highest end. You can always sell the cpu for a nice penny. 

But yes, if you're going to upgrade like me, get an r5. I got the 2600x for the same price as 2600, otherwise that's where my head was as well.