ignoring budget, im not sure what i should do

brammokeefe

im planning to upgrade and have built numerous systems before, but i feel a little stumped here. my previous specs are:

Shitty asus board doesnt matter

FX6300@4.5GHz

24GB ram (speed changed every time i booted for some reason)

GTX970 (i have multiple but the mobo only has 1 pcie 16x)

ThermalTake 650w bronze

Now this time last year, my dad got into mining and the first board he bought against my recommendation was an MSI z270 SLI PLUS over a b250 because "features". (doesnt even have built in wifi so wtf) fast forward to a month ago and we shut down all the rigs we had and my dad called it quits, so i snagged that z270 for shits n gigs to see how a G4400 would stack against an OC'd 6300.....i wasnt amused when the pentium beat my fx in a lot of games with the same gpu and ram config. so i left my system with the z270 to be upgraded to an i7 (for now). 

Now heres my problem, skylake doesnt have the core counts i really wanted to go for if i was gonna upgrade, a minimum 6c12t was my goal, but i dont know if buying a z370 for an extra two cores is really worth my money. i will be using the machine for gaming and music production, looking to upgrade from 2560x1080 to 3440x1440 now that im using 2 gtx 970s as well. (probably gonna go 1080tis not so distant future)

TLDR

I own a z270 but my heart was set on more cores than skylake can deliver, should i shell out for z370?

yeah sli isnt my first choice but i have 3 970s on hand and no 1080s, im waiting for a good deal on pair of Ti's, till then even if sli doesnt work for the game, a 970 is plenty to run 2560x1080. yeah ryzen is on the mind but thats only if moving away from the z270 is worth it, then the question is 8700k or 2700x...in which case id probably just go 2700x cause i can just drop in 3700x when it launches

edit, i guess that answers what im to do if i dont do z270, but as it stands, im still unsure if its worth buying a new ryzen cpu/mobo, or just a 7700k for my existing z270

45 minutes ago, brammokeefe said:

yeah sli isnt my first choice but i have 3 970s on hand and no 1080s, im waiting for a good deal on pair of Ti's, till then even if sli doesnt work for the game, a 970 is plenty to run 2560x1080. yeah ryzen is on the mind but thats only if moving away from the z270 is worth it, then the question is 8700k or 2700x...in which case id probably just go 2700x cause i can just drop in 3700x when it launches

edit, i guess that answers what im to do if i dont do z270, but as it stands, im still unsure if its worth buying a new ryzen cpu/mobo, or just a 7700k for my existing z270

Sell the board and one of the 970s, then buy whatever you want?

13 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Sell the board and one of the 970s, then buy whatever you want?

i totally would but ive had listings for months and no real bites, people always sit there going "your asking too much" or they try to hit me with the "rock and a hard place" tactic and its just laughable. and for reference, i have my 970s STILL listed for 120 a pop or 200 both. and on top of that everybody assumes that everything you have for sale is stuff thats been mined with so tehy tell me to cut the price another 50%, i dont have patience for it anymore really