Extending Ethernet Cable

TheMajesticSeal

What is the easiest way to extend an ethernet cable, and will it affect performance at all?
My current one is run through the floor so it would be a little impossible to replace.

Most convenient would be to buy an ethernet switch and plug the cable going through the wall in the ethernet switch.

Slightly cheaper but almost not worth it since switches cost about the same, are  ethernet / rj45  "couplers" : amazon link

You can buy a pack of 2-3 or more for around 7$ + shipping, while you can buy a gigabit switch for as little as 10-12$ .... that's why I say it's not really worth it.

And if you're really cheap and you don't have money but you have a soldering iron, you could just cut the jack at the end and solder the wires from the old cable to the new one. It will work as long as the pairs are untwisted as little as possible (keep it below 1" or so of untwisted wires)

It's janky but it will work... but the cheapest kind of ethernet cables could be harder to solder since they'll most likely be copper clad aluminum, and it's harder to solder aluminum.

25 minutes ago, TheMajesticSeal said:

What is the easiest way to extend an ethernet cable, and will it affect performance at all?
My current one is run through the floor so it would be a little impossible to replace.

A coupler is the simplest and cheapest way to do this. If you have any electronics shop in the area just go and buy one there.

Should be 1 Euro for the non shielded ones. Performance wise you are fine unless you are extending more than 100m.

If you want to add more connections from that point, then yes get a switch. If its 1:1 then just use a coupler.