144Hz TN Panel Questions

ShadowRanger

So this week I purchased an Acer Predator XB241H monitor as I have been using a single 60Hz IPS monitor for gaming and programming for years now. I wanted a good 2nd monitor and chose this one as it is 144Hz, and has G-Sync so I don't need to worry about screen tearing.

After first using the new monitor, I already noticed the color production was a lot worse than my old IPS monitor. Now I understand that this is normal for TN panels, however it has still bothered me.

My next issue is the shades of colors, or the brightness level on the bottom of the screen. It seems like colors (noticeably blacks) are lighter than they are at the top of the screen. I am not sure if this is normal for TN panels due to viewing angles or something. Not only that the colors just seem yellowish, but this might be because the color preset is on warm.

Lastly, occasionally I notice weird shapes/artifacts over the screen. The best way to describe it is when you look up close at the pixels it looks like there are X shapes symbols on them. I can still see the image properly, but it is still definitely noticeable that these patches are there. After some research, I found something called dithering which I think might be this but am not sure.

I am very worried as I am so used to my old IPS monitor and am not sure if I should return this monitor or something as I am concerned about these issues stated.

Thanks in advance.

What cable are you using for the 144hz monitor?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 minute ago, mxk. said:

What cable are you using for the 144hz monitor?

DisplayPort

Just now, ShadowRanger said:

DisplayPort

hmm. Could I see some pictures of what you think is dithering?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

That is the nature of TN. The shading would be poor backlighting control, monitor reviews will include this showing where colors and brightness are most accurate. 

You've been using IPS for so long that you might have forgotten just how bad TN panels are, if you aren't playing Esports titles, you could return that monitor and return it for an IPS panel with high refresh. The reason I suggest this is esports players are more likely to value lowest latency over color reproduction. IPS panels with high refresh are usually like 4-5ms GTG vs TN at 1ms GTG.

most TN panels represent colors using only six bits per RGB color, or 18 bit in total, and are unable to display the 16.7 million color shades (24-bit truecolor) that are available from graphics cards. Instead, these panels display interpolated 24-bit color using a dithering method that combines adjacent pixels to simulate the desired shade.

This dithering is part of what you're seeing. most likely.

17 hours ago, Labeled said:

That is the nature of TN. The shading would be poor backlighting control, monitor reviews will include this showing where colors and brightness are most accurate. 

You've been using IPS for so long that you might have forgotten just how bad TN panels are, if you aren't playing Esports titles, you could return that monitor and return it for an IPS panel with high refresh. The reason I suggest this is esports players are more likely to value lowest latency over color reproduction. IPS panels with high refresh are usually like 4-5ms GTG vs TN at 1ms GTG.

most TN panels represent colors using only six bits per RGB color, or 18 bit in total, and are unable to display the 16.7 million color shades (24-bit truecolor) that are available from graphics cards. Instead, these panels display interpolated 24-bit color using a dithering method that combines adjacent pixels to simulate the desired shade.

This dithering is part of what you're seeing. most likely.

Sounds like my monitor's behavior is normal then?

As tempting as it is to want to return my monitor for an IPS panel with a high refresh rate, I don't have the money to spend on that as it would be a lot more exspensive.