windows 7, 8, 10 performance with same hardware?

Zanshi

I am building a new Gaming Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 7
16G RAM

M.2 SSD and Vega 64

Some Linux flavor will be my main OS but as I still like to play LoL from time to time and ill probably also run some other windows only games. I'm wondering if there is much consensus on how each version of windows with the same hardware performs. I have gotten Windows 7 running on Ryzen 5's before so I'm not worried about the effort of getting "Unsupported" OS working.

As I'm spending a lot (for me) on hardware it would be a shame to go for a system that performs worse than others. 

well windows 7 wont have any garbage like w10 fullscreen optimization that sometimes causes problems?

(but w7 support ends in january 2020 so...)

MSI GX660 + i7 920XM @ 2.8GHz + GTX 970M + Samsung SSD 830 256GB

Performance wise, they vary from game to game. A lot of games are comparable in performance, while some games or game-engines are appreciably faster in one OS rather than the other. If you want to play specific games, then I suggest looking up specific OS-comparison benchmarks for those games.

Performance aside, Windows 7 is a smoother gaming experience without doing any additional tweaking of your OS. At the same time, UWP games won't run in Windows 7. But then, do you want to play UWP games?

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

7 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Performance wise, they vary from game to game. A lot of games are comparable in performance, while some games or game-engines are appreciably faster in one OS rather than the other. If you want to play specific games, then I suggest looking up specific OS-comparison benchmarks for those games.

Performance aside, Windows 7 is a smoother gaming experience without doing any additional tweaking of your OS. At the same time, UWP games won't run in Windows 7. But then, do you want to play UWP games?

Thanks for that. yeah, I have zero interest in UWP games. That said I have heard some stuff like windows 8 is faster than windows 7 with SSD's and such. Happen to know if there is any fact to this?

10 minutes ago, Zanshi said:

Thanks for that. yeah, I have zero interest in UWP games. That said I have heard some stuff like windows 8 is faster than windows 7 with SSD's and such. Happen to know if there is any fact to this?

I have never used Windows 8(.1) so I don't know from personal experience, but it doesn't look to me like Windows 8 is particularly overall faster in read / write tests (obviously, Windows 8 and 10 have faster boot times than Windows 7).

Edit: I'm not sure that this is a good benchmark comparison video. They  highlight the max rate instead of the average rate, and the Win 7 system could be used while the Win 8 system could be a fresh install.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

It depends, in DX12 games where the FPS difference between DX11 is noticeable, you will get better FPS in Windows 10 (just because there isn't DX12 support in Windows 7) 

Apart from that, should be the same

On old hardware Windows 10 may perform worse due to more I/O requirements and background services