Understanding Mac OSX versions

So I'm looking to buy a cheap Mac mini to familiarize myself with mac and play around with the apps.

I'm confused about the different versions of Mac OS X, so I just have a few questions I think would clear some things up for me. Thanks in advance!

Are they kinda like the different updates of Windows 10? (17.03, 17.09, 18.03, 18.09)

Would it make sense to think of them like that?

Updates optional or forced?

Will things not work correctly if you are not running the latest version?

Will a computer running snow leopard do the same thing as one running high sierra or mojave?

Are there features or apps available on the latest version that won't work on previous versions?

Support for macs kind of suck every new macOS is like a new version of windows if your looking for a cheap mac mini get the 2010 one or up. Updates are also optional 

5 minutes ago, Chrislw324 said:

Are they kinda like the different updates of Windows 10? (17.03, 17.09, 18.03, 18.09)

Not quite, but close enough.

7 minutes ago, Chrislw324 said:

Updates optional or forced?

Optional.

8 minutes ago, Chrislw324 said:

Will things not work correctly if you are not running the latest version?

Depends on whether what you'd trying to do is supported by the version you're running.

9 minutes ago, Chrislw324 said:

Will a computer running snow leopard do the same thing as one running high sierra or mojave?

What do you mean by "thing"? Being almost 10 years old and no longer officially supported, snow leopard will have fewer features and outdated utilities. It also won't support new hardware properly and might not run modern programs.

11 minutes ago, Chrislw324 said:

Are there features or apps available on the latest version that won't work on previous versions?

Yes.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

7 minutes ago, Mattster503 said:

Support for macs kind of suck every new macOS is like a new version of windows if your looking for a cheap mac mini get the 2010 one or up. Updates are also optional 

What? No.... not at all.....

MOST programs support old versions of macOS, at least the last few versions. MacOS updates rarely change the UI as much as upgrading windows computers. The difference between windows 7 and windows 10 is SO much different than macOS 10.7 and 10.13. Older versions of macOS look the same and work the same as new versions. I have rarely run into a program that won't work on older versions of macOS. 

And for the love of god, no, don't buy those mac minis. They're extremely outdated and before the new one was released the hardware wasn't updated for like 4-5 years. 

6 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

And for the love of god, no, don't buy those mac minis. They're extremely outdated and before the new one was released the hardware wasn't updated for like 4-5 years. 

So a laptop or all-in-one?

1 minute ago, Chrislw324 said:

Buy whatever's cheap on your local craigslist. You'll get roughly the same experience regardless of version. 

1 hour ago, Chrislw324 said:

So I'm looking to buy a cheap Mac mini to familiarize myself with mac and play around with the apps.

Perhaps a VM (with GPU-passthrough) or hackintosh might be a better idea? Macs are expensive.

🙂

5 hours ago, corrado33 said:

What? No.... not at all.....

MOST programs support old versions of macOS, at least the last few versions. MacOS updates rarely change the UI as much as upgrading windows computers. The difference between windows 7 and windows 10 is SO much different than macOS 10.7 and 10.13. Older versions of macOS look the same and work the same as new versions. I have rarely run into a program that won't work on older versions of macOS. 

Maybe you should look in their code every new version drops the last for most app support. Yes you may be able to get older versions of apps but yes it sucks. High Sierra will be outdated I  3-4years not even 

1 hour ago, Mattster503 said:

Maybe you should look in their code every new version drops the last for most app support. Yes you may be able to get older versions of apps but yes it sucks. High Sierra will be outdated I  3-4years not even 

Sorry are you using a mac?

I'm using a mac with a version of macos 2 versions old and have not run into literally ANY programs that won't run....

25 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Sorry are you using a mac?

I'm using a mac with a version of macos 2 versions old and have not run into literally ANY programs that won't run....

Actually yes i am. im using el capitan and its literally minimum  for most apps

1 hour ago, Mattster503 said:

Actually yes i am. im using el capitan and its literally minimum  for most apps

Mojave runs on computers all of the way back to to 2012. That's 6 years of support right there. And it just came out. Take a step back and you have computers all of the way back to 2009 for High Sierra. That's just about 10 years now. So sure.... you may be experiencing program incompatibility, but that's either because A. you're using a computer more than 10 years old or B. you're refusing to upgrade. (It's free after all.) 

I don't think that 10 years of program support is a bad thing.... When's the last time you used a program on windows that hadn't been updated in 10 years? 

14 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Mojave runs on computers all of the way back to to 2012. That's 6 years of support right there. And it just came out. Take a step back and you have computers all of the way back to 2009 for High Sierra. That's just about 10 years now. So sure.... you may be experiencing program incompatibility, but that's either because A. you're using a computer more than 10 years old or B. you're refusing to upgrade. (It's free after all.) 

I don't think that 10 years of program support is a bad thing.... When's the last time you used a program on windows that hadn't been updated in 10 years? 

It doesn't matter

MACS SUCK FOR SUPPORT

when a 10 year old computer can't run macOS

But it can run the latest version of windows i see something wrong here

Just now, Mattster503 said:

It doesn't matter

MACS SUCK FOR SUPPORT

when a 10 year old computer can't run macOS

But it can run the latest version of windows i see something wrong here

When's the last time you tried running windows 10 on a 10 year old windows computer? How... exactly was your experience there? Shitty? Yeah... shitty. Windows 7? Yeah you had to turn off all the aero features right? Apple is just smart enough to say "na, you really shouldn't run this on that old computer." 

I mean, what are you trying to run anyway? 

11 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

When's the last time you tried running windows 10 on a 10 year old windows computer? How... exactly was your experience there? Shitty? Yeah... shitty. Windows 7? Yeah you had to turn off all the aero features right? Apple is just smart enough to say "na, you really shouldn't run this on that old computer." 

There is no issues running windows 10 & windows 7... on a mac or pc from 2008+ You really need to keep up on your tech specs and requirements

And if its slow its cause of the hard drive not the hardware

try to install windows 10 on a 2009 imac

The IMac will get such better performance under windows then macos ever could, hell you could even do some light gaming

On a mac Unheard of right?

Clearly you're pro apple and believe everything they say

oh btw Mojave can be installed on 2008+ macs and up using a patch tool and you know what??? it runs half good not even slow

so maybe before you say all this stuff about macs and pc's that are 10+ are slow under windows 7 your crazy

Apple is scum

13 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Oh and windows 7 is almost 10 years old btw so any computer from 2006+ would have a good experience on windows 7

9 minutes ago, Mattster503 said:

Apple is scum

Someone's a bit biased. 

I have 10 year old windows laptops that can barely even run the base version of windows 7. And I have 10 year old windows desktops that can run windows 7 ultimate with no issues. It all depends on your system config. 

Honestly, I really don't see anyone using a 10 year old mac (or any 10 year old computer in general) so I really don't see an issue here. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Someone's a bit biased. 

I have 10 year old windows laptops that can barely even run the base version of windows 7. And I have 10 year old windows desktops that can run windows 7 ultimate with no issues. It all depends on your system config. 

Honestly, I really don't see anyone using a 10 year old mac (or any 10 year old computer in general) so I really don't see an issue here. 

your right about the config so here is C2D machines that are nearing or already 10 years old that have a good experience on windows 7

11 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Someone's a bit biased. 

I'm still using a Macbook Pro from 2009. Doesn't go higher than El Capitan but it fulfills my needs of watching youtube and shit posting from the comfort of being in bed.

On 12/12/2018 at 6:47 PM, Chrislw324 said:

I'd go with a laptop (just not Air) so you can have a more complete Mac experience. Apple's trackpads deserve their great reputation, and their build quality is only part of it.

You'll get the most features with the newest hardware you are willing to pay for (naturally), but anything relatively modern suffices for a good, general experience. I'm rocking El Capitan and High Sierra on my across-the-board old hardware, and it'd be difficult for me to quickly name a way El Capitan is inadequate.

Macs run Windows well, Apple even provides necessary drivers, so consider picking something you could see yourself using as a computer beyond just getting familiar with the macOS. It'll still be a well built machine if macOS ends up a disaster for you.