Building my own Shadow PC

Go to solution Solved by Bearlord,

Maybe I am a little late to reply to this, but Parsec works great for this purpose. Doing exactly that, gaming from my laptop using the power of my desktop at home. Works like a charm.

Dear community,

I posted it here since it is mostly server related in my opinion (correct me if I am wrong).

I have a very lightweight laptop for university purposes and a nice well working desktop which can basically run anything.

After seeing the Shadow video on LTT, I figured it had to be possible to set up something like this for myself. So that, when I am not at home I can host games from my pc and play on my laptop. However, I dont know any open source software that could do this, or what the requirements would be, since I have never attempted this before (I do, however, have quite some knowledge - not an expert - on servers, linux, webservers, webproxies, etc). 

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to approach this.

Would be cool if we can together turn this into a how-to guide for other people who would like to do the same.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Findings thus far:

- UltraVNC seems to get close to the job (no testing done yet, just research)

https://github.com/phoboslab/jsmpeg-vnc This guy seems to have pulled it off, however, without sound, streaming mpegs

Thanks in advance!

2 minutes ago, Revontuli said:

Dear community,

I posted it here since it is mostly server related in my opinion (correct me if I am wrong).

I have a very lightweight laptop for university purposes and a nice well working desktop which can basically run anything.

After seeing the Shadow video on LTT, I figured it had to be possible to set up something like this for myself. So that, when I am at home I can host games from my pc and play on my laptop. However, I dont know any open source software that could do this, or what the requirements would be, since I have never attempted this before (I do, however, have quite some knowledge - not an expert - on servers, linux, webservers, webproxies, etc). 

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to approach this.

Would be cool if we can together turn this into a how-to guide for other people who would like to do the same.

Thanks in advance!

I mean, the closets i can get is to host a new minecraft game on a separate server. This could help to rendr the world by using the servers processor, not the gaming PC's.

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

8 minutes ago, Dubious Gaming: bl4z3 said:

I mean, the closets i can get is to host a new minecraft game on a separate server. This could help to rendr the world by using the servers processor, not the gaming PC's.

Sorry I made a typo, I meant to use the gaming pc to do the hard work, accessing it using the laptop while on the road. I found software called UltraVNC, I think thats where my search has to begin.

If you have an Nvidia card, you could use the Moonlight Streaming Client to do away with any dedicated server infrastructure and just use your PC as a VM which streams to any device. This is only for games though, I don;t think you can remote access your PC from the root directory like an actual server could enable you to do.

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe I am a little late to reply to this, but Parsec works great for this purpose. Doing exactly that, gaming from my laptop using the power of my desktop at home. Works like a charm.

On 12/25/2018 at 8:42 PM, Bearlord said:

Its never too late, Im often very busy so had to set it aside anyways, perfect timing with the christmas holidays, defenitely gonna look into this. Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for :)

• 1 year later...

Is Parsec the one for this? My gaming desktop is windows. Would love to host my own cloud gaming server. 

15 hours ago, Ttrakker said:

Is Parsec the one for this? My gaming desktop is windows. Would love to host my own cloud gaming server. 

Parsec has worked flawlessly yes. Stick with that!