Fluid changed before even getting in loop

I was doing some normal loop cleaning, removed and clean the inside of the block, flushing it out, you know the norm of doing water cooling. And I go to grab my coolant, mayhem's X1 Clear, pour it in and it's not clear, but yellow and slightly thicker than it's supposed to be. I ran it through my loop and boy is it acting funny. I have no idea what happened to my fluid, since I bought it in spring of 2017.

I used it before earlier this year as normal maintenance, and it was still clear and not thick, more like water. What happened to my friend? Should I use it still or use an unopened bottle? Also, I did leave them in the bag they came packaged in, just to make sure there are no leaks. They were in my closet, so it's not ruined by sunlight.

CPU: 5900X   MOBO: MSI Tomahawk x570 
MEM: G.Skill 32gb (2 x 16gb) 3600
GPU: Asus tuf oc 3080

May add the other bits of my system later on

I would suggest using an unopened bottle, it sounds like something started growing in it (even though there should be anti-microbial agents in it)

Just now, Ninja_Commander said:

I was doing some normal loop cleaning, removed and clean the inside of the block, flushing it out, you know the norm of doing water cooling. And I go to grab my coolant, mayhem's X1 Clear, pour it in and it's not clear, but yellow and slightly thicker than it's supposed to be. I ran it through my loop and boy is it acting funny. I have no idea what happened to my fluid, since I bought it in spring of 2017.

I used it before earlier this year as normal maintenance, and it was still clear and not thick, more like water. What happened to my friend? Should I use it still or use an unopened bottle? Also, I did leave them in the bag they came packaged in, just to make sure there are no leaks. They were in my closet, so it's not ruined by sunlight.

I'd remove the fluid and flush the loop sounds like the bottle of fluid may have gotten contaminates in it and had growth occur since it was not a new bottle and recapped from before.

Use an unopened bottle. You honestly shouldn't have put it into your loop when you realized it was gunky. 

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

45 minutes ago, W-L said:

I'd remove the fluid and flush the loop sounds like the bottle of fluid may have gotten contaminates in it and had growth occur since it was not a new bottle and recapped from before.

Yeah, but thankfully my new bottle is good. Just flushed it and right now letting it flow through my loop. @Shiv78 @Palden . But wow, I never thought it would do something like to my coolant. And it said it should be good 3 years after being opened. So now I'm even more confused.

2 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

Yeah, but thankfully my new bottle is good. Just flushed it and right now letting it flow through my loop. @Shiv78 @Palden . But wow, I never thought it would do something like to my coolant. And it said it should be good 3 years after being opened. So now I'm even more confused.

Their shelf life for that long unopened I believe, however it is somewhat odd that something was able to grow as the biocides should have limited that to a certain degree.

Just now, W-L said:

Their shelf life for that long unopened I believe, however it is somewhat odd that something was able to grow as the biocides should have limited that to a certain degree.

But if so, why would it change to be like it when I put it in a bag with the bottle? So strange.

3 minutes ago, Ninja_Commander said:

But if so, why would it change to be like it when I put it in a bag with the bottle? So strange.

Hard to say unless it was mixed with the incorrect ratios. Being that it changed state and was thick and not free flowing that sounds very much like bacterial growth. The X1 isn't 100% clear in concentrated form but nothing that would deem it to have a color once mixed out properly.