Gaming Laptop Graphics Card Not Performing!

Hey guys! I recently bought an MSI gaming laptop, the leopard pro GP72MVR 7RFX. I have a GTX 1060 with an intel core i7 7700HQ, 16gb ram, 128gb ssd with 1tb hdd. This thing has monster specs. One of the main games i play is League of Legends. Before buying my laptop i was playing league of legends on my desktop computer (which i sold). That tower had a 6th generation intel core i3 and a gtx 960 with 8 gb ram, 256gb ssd and 1tb hdd. I was easily running league of legends between 150-220 fps at max settings consistently and i never had a problem because it is one of the least demanding games. My laptop for some reason doesn't even come close to running League of Legends that well. On max settings the game floats around 70 fps and if i get into teamfights i could get a massive drop. Basically i am really disappointed because i spent a lot of money on this thing and it can't properly run my favorite game. Even when i reduce the graphic setting to the lowest, the fps doesn't change so that tells me something isn't right. I tried every possible fix on the internet. I did windows updates, re-installed league countless times, uninstalled and reinstalled my graphics card and re-installed all my drivers. I went in my nvidia control panel and made sure my gtx 1060 was being used globally for everything at max performance rather than the integrated graphics. I even made a new user and tried league of legends and no change in the fps. I repaired league of legends for corrupt files as well as my pc. Everything seems to be fine yet the laptop isn't performing at all. Anti-aliasing is off as well as v-sync and i've played around with all the in game settings and nothing helps. This is extremely frustrating because people with worst laptops than me run the game at max settings without a problem. I feel like my gpu is not being used. I've scoured the internet for answers and now I'm at a loss. There is no overheating or throttling occurring on my system btw**. Hopefully someone has a fix for this!. A gtx 1060 with the specs my laptop has should easily run league like my desktop used too or even better. Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Are you plugged in? Using the right power settings? Try right clicking on league and there should be an option to choose your GTX 1060 under "run with graphics processor"

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

4 minutes ago, C1intFunWood said:

Are you plugged in? Using the right power settings? Try right clicking on league and there should be an option to choose your GTX 1060 under "run with graphics processor"

Yes i am always plugged in and on high performance settings. i have also tried right clicking league and choosing my gtx 1060..

What nvidia driver version are you currently on? There has been a huge problem with 417.22 and laptop GPU's (specifically Pascal) locking the clock speeds very low and crippling performance. Given the low clocks and utilization, there is less heat and no throttling which confuses a lot of people. If you find this is the case while gaming and you're on 417.22, try rolling back your driver. At least on the Acer boards, almost everyone rolling back to 417.01 has had success.

Acer Nitro 5

11 minutes ago, KliptoMike2 said:

Run benchmarks and compare scores to other people

Watch your CPU/GPU temps and clock speeds

Switch to dota 2(if nothing else than to test the hardware)

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Streetguru said:

Run benchmarks and compare scores to other people

Watch your CPU/GPU temps and clock speeds

Switch to dota 2(if nothing else than to test the hardware)

Lul Dota 2, This guy knows what's up. ?

CPU AMD Ryzen 5 3600x | GPU GIGABYTE GTX 1070ti WINDFORCE | MOBO ASUS Prime X570-P | MEMORY XPG Spectrix 2x8GB 3200MHz  | PSU OCZ Zx 850W | CASE NZXT H440

3 minutes ago, Tobimaru said:

What nvidia driver version are you currently on? There has been a huge problem with 417.22 and laptop GPU's (specifically Pascal) locking the clock speeds very low and crippling performance. Given the low clocks and utilization, there is less heat and no throttling which confuses a lot of people. If you find this is the case while gaming and you're on 417.22, try rolling back your driver. At least on the Acer boards, almost everyone rolling back to 417.01 has had success.

Yes i am on 417.22 i will try rolling back!

2 minutes ago, KliptoMike2 said:

Yes i am on 417.22 i will try rolling back!

6 minutes ago, Tobimaru said:

so because i had uninstalled my card and re-installed drivers, the roll back option is greyed out im guessing because technically there isnt an older driver that was downloaded... is there any other way to download the driver before 417.22?

4 minutes ago, KliptoMike2 said:

so because i had uninstalled my card and re-installed drivers, the roll back option is greyed out im guessing because technically there isnt an older driver that was downloaded... is there any other way to download the driver before 417.22?

Absolutely. nvidia offers legacy drivers here - https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/140341

And here is the official driver release thread with the known issue -
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1083878/official-417-22-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-12-3-18-/

"
2456653-Major FPS drop in games on certain notebooks after updating driver to 417.22 -> If your notebook is seeing a significant FPS drop after updating to driver 417.22, please send the following to driverfeedback@nvidia.com so we can confirm the fix on your noteobok:
1) Notebook make and model:
2) Microsoft system information file from your notebook as described in the FAQ below to confirm the notebook BIOS version:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2507/ "

Very hopeful they get this fixed as it literally affects tens of thousands of laptops.

Acer Nitro 5

1 minute ago, Tobimaru said:

Absolutely. nvidia offers legacy drivers here - https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/140341

And here is the official driver release thread with the known issue -
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1083878/official-417-22-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-12-3-18-/

"
2456653-Major FPS drop in games on certain notebooks after updating driver to 417.22 -> If your notebook is seeing a significant FPS drop after updating to driver 417.22, please send the following to driverfeedback@nvidia.com so we can confirm the fix on your noteobok:
1) Notebook make and model:
2) Microsoft system information file from your notebook as described in the FAQ below to confirm the notebook BIOS version:

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2507/ "

Thank you for the quick response! So should i uninstall the 417.22 first? and im guessing the link you sent me, 417.01 is the last version?

1 minute ago, KliptoMike2 said:

Thank you for the quick response! So should i uninstall the 417.22 first? and im guessing the link you sent me, 417.01 is the last version?

Yes I'd uninstall and then clean install 417.01. That is the last version I had good performance on and currently still works. Your integrated Intel graphics should carry you over during the install without any major issues.

Acer Nitro 5

Just now, Tobimaru said:

Yes I'd uninstall and then clean install 417.01. That is the last version I had good performance on and currently still works. Your integrated Intel graphics should carry you over during the install without any major issues.

Ok great ill try that! 

47 minutes ago, Tobimaru said:

Ok so little update: i uninstalled 417.22 and downloaded 417.01. Nothing has changed in the fps if anything it might be a bit lower as i am floating around 60fps on max settings. But the weird thing is, whenever i change the video settings, the fps doesn't change! Usually when putting the graphics to the lowest your fps sky rockets. Mine stays the same at every interval, so i still need help with this. i can't seem to find a fix

On 12/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, KliptoMike2 said:

Ok so little update: i uninstalled 417.22 and downloaded 417.01. Nothing has changed in the fps if anything it might be a bit lower as i am floating around 60fps on max settings. But the weird thing is, whenever i change the video settings, the fps doesn't change! Usually when putting the graphics to the lowest your fps sky rockets. Mine stays the same at every interval, so i still need help with this. i can't seem to find a fix

Do you have V-Sync on?