Desktop-Companion - Photo/Videoediting on the go

Hey guys,

since I now am finally happy with my desktop, I can finally turn to my other needs :)

I'm a photographer and while I still edit well over 80% of my projects at my desk at home, I travel quite a bit these days and am now looking for a laptop for some work on the go.

I actually wanted to switch to a Macbook a few weeks ago, to replace my desktop, but had a strong case of buyer's remorse and sent it back. Which puts me back to square one.

I'm looking for a nice laptop, preferably 15", although I would settle for 13" if absolutely necessary, that's well built and compact.
The most important parts are the display, 1080p would probably be enough and I don't really see the need for a touchscreen.
I definitely need good ports (ideally a thunderbolt 3 or at least usb3.1. gen2 for fast external drives) and build quality.

I don't game much and certainly not on the go, so the gpu is mainly going to be used for gpu acceleration in Photoshop, Capture One and Lightroom. 
Good battery life would be great bonus.

Since I live in Germany, my budget would be around 1600/1700€, ideally of course a bit less than that :) 
I will mainly use the machine for when I'm abroad for some time or sitting on planes and trains, some light editing and retouching, but nothing too big. Anything that demands a lot of firepower can wait until I'm at home at my 

desktop :) I just want to work fairly comfortably to import and export photos in Capture One and Lightroom, do some raw processing and light editing in Photoshop. Addtionally of course some office work, videos, browsing the internet etc.

I looked at a few different options like the Dell XPS, Razer products (although I'm not sure which of them are the travel-friendly content creator ones) and something like the LG gram.

If you guys have any recommendation on which products check the most boxes, I'd be really glad :)

I'm planning to buy at the end of January or beginning of February, so I can still wait of course, but I like to be informed prior to making a decision :)

Cheers,

Onur

4 minutes ago, PleasantChaos said:

I'm looking for a nice laptop, preferably 15", although I would settle for 13" if absolutely necessary, that's well built and compact.
The most important parts are the display, 1080p would probably be enough and I don't really see the need for a touchscreen.
I definitely need good ports (ideally a thunderbolt 3 or at least usb3.1. gen2 for fast external drives) and build quality.

I don't game much and certainly not on the go, so the gpu is mainly going to be used for gpu acceleration in Photoshop, Capture One and Lightroom. 
Good battery life would be great bonus.

Honestly, a 2017/18 MacBook is a great option for you. It has a 500 nit colour accurate display, it has great battery life, and has good port selection. The CPU doesn't really matter for a laptop being used for photo editing, so even a dual core CPU is fine.

Are you able to get a 2017/18 Macbook for 1700€ or less (13/15")?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Just now, r2724r16 said:

Honestly, a 2017/18 MacBook is a great option for you. It has a 500 nit colour accurate display, it has great battery life, and has good port selection. The CPU doesn't really matter for a laptop being used for photo editing, so even a dual core CPU is fine.

Are you able to get a 2017/18 Macbook for 1700€ or less (13/15")?

That's unfortunately not an option. I definitely want a windows machine, I didn't like taking dongles with me all the time and overall, great device, just not for me :)

Any links of online stores? Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

On 12/10/2018 at 11:01 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Any links of online stores? Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours?

Preferred max weights under 2 kilos. Battery life, I'm not sure, a few hours at least would be good.

19 hours ago, PleasantChaos said:

snip

You forgot to answer me:

On 12/10/2018 at 6:01 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Any links of online stores?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128