laptop hinge

TheBean

why dont all laptop hinges let the screen go all the way back? Why would manufacturers want to limit the tilt to about 135°

There's a cable that has to carry the display signal, and it's probably a lot easier to keep that doing its job if you don't let the screen tilt super far. Plus, laptop manufacturers probably don't want to give the impression that it's a touchscreen, since laptops that do fold over all the way have touchscreens.

Although, there are plenty of laptops that fold 180°, thinkpads and whatnot, or dell stuff, but MacBooks don't because of their aluminum clamshell body design.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Why would you need that? I can kinda understand 2-in-1s, but not screens that can go flat on the table but not further back.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Different hinge designs have different strengths and weaknesses. My uneducated assumption is that it most likely comes down to two factors, cost and strength.

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Why would you need that? I can kinda understand 2-in-1s, but not screens that can go flat on the table but not further back.

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

There's a cable that has to carry the display signal, and it's probably a lot easier to keep that doing its job if you don't let the screen tilt super far. Plus, laptop manufacturers probably don't want to give the impression that it's a touchscreen, since laptops that do fold over all the way have touchscreens.

Although, there are plenty of laptops that fold 180°, thinkpads and whatnot, or dell stuff, but MacBooks don't because of their aluminum clamshell body design.

I meant that why dont they go to 180. 360 is unnessasary for non-touch

16 hours ago, saksham said:

why dont all laptop hinges let the screen go all the way back? Why would manufacturers want to limit the tilt to about 135°

Because laptop design and hinge type

There are some non convertible models with 180 degree hinge (like my Y530)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128