I can kick out my SATA-storage. Why?

Betahuman
Go to solution Solved by mariushm,

If you click on that icon near the clock that says safely remove hard drive xyz  then yes, you could remove the sata drive.

It's possible to insert a drive while computer is running, but I would advise against it unless you slide it in a rack or something - basically not a good idea to push the connector with your hands, as the contacts are so small and you can insert at a slight angle and short the wires inside the connector by accident.

racks have the connectors locked in place and the sata drive connector slides in at just the right angle so there's no risk of doing damage.

Honestly, I don't know where this conversation belongs to but here's the thing:

I remember activating hot-plug in my BIOS and suddenly I saw that I could kick out my SATA-storage devices. Does this really work like removing USB or is it not safe to do?

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.  Removing a device, especially a device such as a drive, is really not safe considering that if you pull the device while the device is being written to, then you run the risk of really screwing things up real bad.

If you click on that icon near the clock that says safely remove hard drive xyz  then yes, you could remove the sata drive.

It's possible to insert a drive while computer is running, but I would advise against it unless you slide it in a rack or something - basically not a good idea to push the connector with your hands, as the contacts are so small and you can insert at a slight angle and short the wires inside the connector by accident.

racks have the connectors locked in place and the sata drive connector slides in at just the right angle so there's no risk of doing damage.