Should I get an Intel i7-9700K or wait until the Ryzen 3000s release?

Go to solution Solved by pstarlord,

Doesn't hurt to wait and see, if the rumored specs aren't accurate..oh well, you can buy the intel chip you decide to get.  If they are, then good. 

I am planning a build with my Fallout NZXT Case, and I want to make it the best it can be for gaming. (Maybe a little programming but mainly gaming). And i was planning on using a 9700K, but i see the new Ryzen 3000s are rumored for up to 5.2GHz. What do you think I should buy? (I already bought an RTX 2080 and an 860 EVO if it makes any difference at all). I would like to have an AMD cpu but I hear Intel is a bit faster at gaming.

I think those "leaks" are unlikely to be true, though it ultimately comes down to whether you can wait or not. If you can, I'd wait until CES and see what AMD has up their sleeve. It's not a long wait, but if you can't, the 9700K is a good chip. There's also the added bonus of being able to use the NZXT Z390 N7 and the Nuka-Cola armor.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

11 minutes ago, TheSLSAMG said:

I think those "leaks" are unlikely to be true, though it ultimately comes down to whether you can wait or not. If you can, I'd wait until CES and see what AMD has up their sleeve. It's not a long wait, but if you can't, the 9700K is a good chip. There's also the added bonus of being able to use the NZXT Z390 N7 and the Nuka-Cola armor.

Nah NZXT mobos rn are crap. But i think i might wait until CES because as much as I would like to have a PC now, id like it to be AMD. Should i just get the Intel chip? As the clock speeds are kind’ve the same anyways?

Probably better off just saving a bit of money and buying an 8700k. 6 cores 12 threads vs 8 cores 8 threads. 

8700k or wait.

8700k is $300 at Microcenter (in-store anyway), which is a substantial savings over 9th gen.  Honestly, 9th gen Intel pissed me off.  The i9 should be the i7, at the current i7 price.  Because i7 is supposed to have hyperthreading!!!!  LOL

37 minutes ago, CooperZirb said:

Thanks guys, Does the 9700K not support hyperthreading?

I7-8700k 6 cores, 12 threads

I7-9700k 8 cores, 8 threads.

I9-9900k 8 cores, 16 threads

They moved hyperthreading from the i7 and called it an i9.  Instead of making the new i5 8 cores without hyperthreading, and the i7 8 cores with hyperthreading-as I would've preferred.

Although really it comes down to pricing to me, they should each jump down a level to provide a value to me.

On 12/8/2018 at 1:19 AM, CooperZirb said:

I am planning a build with my Fallout NZXT Case, and I want to make it the best it can be for gaming. (Maybe a little programming but mainly gaming). And i was planning on using a 9700K, but i see the new Ryzen 3000s are rumored for up to 5.2GHz. What do you think I should buy? (I already bought an RTX 2080 and an 860 EVO if it makes any difference at all). I would like to have an AMD cpu but I hear Intel is a bit faster at gaming.

8700k/9700k should be similar performance, 6c12t vs 8c8t. HT gives about 30% performance boost when it is utilized.

If you are overclocking and willing to delid I would go for the 8700k, if not 9700k. 

Coffee lake will run hot even with a high end air cooler/aio without a delid if you are pushing 5ghz+ all cores.

If you are not overclocking then get whichever is cheaper/available. 

Doesn't hurt to wait and see, if the rumored specs aren't accurate..oh well, you can buy the intel chip you decide to get.  If they are, then good.