Help? Trying to make sure I'm planning correctly.

Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
Just now, Au_ViZionZ said:

My current PSU is 240W, can a 1050 run safely on a 240W? 

Yeah it can. It's technically a 75 watt card but it won't usually be running at that, and it's still gonna be below the max when combined with a mere i5. I say skip it for now, save up for a good case, then get a case and good power supply along with that converter.

So, gaming on my old 12" Asus Touchscreen Laptop was getting old, I couldn't even play Minecraft at 15 fps. So I decided to upgrade to a Desktop, now I'm not as affluent as I wish I was so I couldn't afford an actual "Gaming" computer. I bought a Dell Inspiron 3668, which came with (what was a big upgrade from my last system's specs) an i5 7th Gen, 8GB of Ram, and a 1TB HDD. Just recently I've wanted to upgrade my GPU to something OTHER than integrated, and after some digging, I found out that I couldn't possibly find a PSU in the weird size that Dell uses to power a decent GPU. So after some talk with a few of my buddies, and a few google searches to find others with the same problem, I found out that I needed a 24 to 8 pin adapter and then my PSU would just have to sit outside the case. This is fine with me because I am going to be putting it in a desk anyways. After looking for a while, I settled on the EVGA GeForce GTX 1050 SC. (I'll have a link to all the parts at the end) I just recently talked to a friend of mine and asked if he would do anything different or add something, he recommended that I get an SSD too so I can decrease my load times and such. Trying not to break the bank, I chose a 250GB SSD. My real question is: Is there anything that I am missing here? I'm new to even looking inside of PC's so I just don't want to end up frying it. Thanks for any help! :)

Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01A210HKO/?coliid=I3FQSICCAGA509&colid=2LP09X0UNI900&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Power Supply: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EON40CS/?coliid=IC0327LOYN37D&colid=2LP09X0UNI900&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Graphics Card: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M64G435/?coliid=ITRHHFHF2AQU6&colid=2LP09X0UNI900&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

SSD: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07864WMK8/?coliid=I29DBKYZ0OM21K&colid=2LP09X0UNI900&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Sata Cable? (I think I need one of these, Im not sure): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B009GUXU52/?coliid=I28UZ5SW9O25BL&colid=2LP09X0UNI900&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

3 minutes ago, Au_ViZionZ said:

nope, that one is meh and you don't need 600 watts. 450 would be more than enough

why not a 570 for that pricepoint?

great choise

btw, why that adapter when you're going to buy a different psu anyways?

Edited by LukeSavenije

Can you hyperlink those products, I can't click on mobile. It seems alright, but I don't know what "power" and "adapter" are, and I'm pretty sure you shouldn't need something like that for a 1050 and an SSD.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

why not a 570 for that pricepoint?

Proprietary Dell PSU usually lacks the pcie power pins necessary

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

Proprietary Dell PSU usually lacks the pcie power pins necessary

he linked a new psu in it... but I don't know what size dell uses in that one

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

he linked a new psu in it... but I don't know what size dell uses in that one

Oh I misinterpreted that part about the power supply being too big for the case. Still, OP doesn't need a new power supply to run a 1050 so it should be cut from the budget regardless.

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Oh I misinterpreted that part about the power supply being too big for the case. Still, OP doesn't need a new power supply to run a 1050 so it should be cut from the budget regardless.

well, seeing that the cable only is 13 bucks and a good psu can be had for 30 bucks sometimes, I don't see why not

Honestly, OP seems to have a reasonable budget. Why not just get a new case?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Just now, Grockle88 said:

This would be a pretty good idea, but OP has to check if the motherboard has proprietary standoff locations. Dell has a habit of that.

Primary PC:

Just now, fasauceome said:

This would be a pretty good idea, but OP has to check if the motherboard has proprietary standoff locations. Dell has a habit of that.

Indeed, but if the mobo is not proprietary there is no real reason not to

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

14 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

12 minutes ago, Grockle88 said:

The whole system is going inside of a desk, why get a case? Plus, I will get a case later but for now I'm not interested in buying one.

Yeah it can. It's technically a 75 watt card but it won't usually be running at that, and it's still gonna be below the max when combined with a mere i5. I say skip it for now, save up for a good case, then get a case and good power supply along with that converter.

Primary PC:

The whole system is going inside of a desk, why get a case? Plus, I will get a case later but for now I'm not interested in buying one.

Oh I misread that in the original post, I thought it was going on a desk. I don't recommend a PC inside a desk unless you've modded it for airflow, because desks don't usually come with fans and exhaust.

Primary PC:

2 minutes ago, Au_ViZionZ said:

I'm really not an expert when it comes to PSUs, but that doesn't quite seem safe to me... ?

Make sure to tag and/or quote people so they get notified... :P:D 

My gear:

Ryzen 7 2700X / Gigabyte GA-X370M-Gaming 3 / R9 380 Nitro 4GB/ 16GB DDR4 2133 / 225GB OCZ Trion 100 / 3TB of hard drive storage
                                                                                                     AOC C24G1 / BenQ GW2270H(rarely overclocked to 87Hz :P )
                                                                               Razer Blackwidow / Redragon Kumara / Logitech G Pro Wiress / Sennheiser HD 559

Microsoft LifeCam Studio / Tonor BM700 microphone

Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ82 / Canon EOS 80D

#PCMasterrace

Just now, Jonas_2909 said:

I'm really not an expert when it comes to PSUs, but that doesn't quite seem safe to me... ?

Why?

Primary PC:

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

2 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Oh I misread that in the original post, I thought it was going on a desk. I don't recommend a PC inside a desk unless you've modded it for airflow, because desks don't usually come with fans and exhaust.

It's not a closed style desk, it's very open. I guess you could just call it being sandwiched between 2 boards. (With plenty of space between them, just trying to give you an image) It also has some holes in sides.

3 minutes ago, Jonas_2909 said:

The 1050's max wattage draw in 70 watts. Honestly, you could probably get away with 200W.

Here's a build list with a 1050ti and a 200w. It's meant as a parts/ cost breakdown, but it works regardless to show that the parts have been put together before.

What PSU do you currently have?

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

2 minutes ago, Au_ViZionZ said:

It's not a closed style desk, it's very open. I guess you could just call it being sandwiched between 2 boards. (With plenty of space between them, just trying to give you an image) It also has some holes in sides.

Ah ok. As long as the parts can breathe. Just make sure to keep track of dust build up.

Primary PC:

9 minutes ago, Imbellis said:

The 1050's max wattage draw in 70 watts. Honestly, you could probably get away with 200W.

Here's a build list with a 1050ti and a 200w. It's meant as a parts/ cost breakdown, but it works regardless to show that the parts have been put together before.

What PSU do you currently have?

Here is my current system (I'm new to PC specs so forgive me): 240W PSU, i5 7th Gen, 8GB Ram, 1TB HDD, Integrated Graphics.

What I'm Trying to Add: 1050, 250 SSD

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Ah ok. As long as the parts can breathe. Just make sure to keep track of dust build up.

Thanks for the help! I now know what I'm buying

Nevermind, everything I said is wrong because Dell uses such a weird motherboard design that I don't want to approach this problem at all.  A 6 pin and 4 pin connector for power to the system and CPU is pretty weird. 

7 minutes ago, Z3R0 CHANC3 said:

Instead of buying a PSU and an adapter cable, why don't you just buy a PSU to replace the one in the system now, that has PCI-E power cables?  The 24 pin is required to power the motherboard, you can't just use it for something else-you'd have to use two power supplies at that point.

Even if the new PSU doesn't fit inside the case, it's probably a better idea to just use one PSU rather than two.

I was planning on replacing the current PSU to both power the motherboard and the GPU, the type of PSU that is currently in my pc is very unusual and there isnt any PSU's with a high wattage. I wasnt planning on buying a PSU to power my GPU, the 1050 doesnt require any additional power, it draws it solely from the mobo.

5 minutes ago, Au_ViZionZ said:

I was planning on replacing the current PSU to both power the motherboard and the GPU, the type of PSU that is currently in my pc is very unusual and there isnt any PSU's with a high wattage. I wasnt planning on buying a PSU to power my GPU, the 1050 doesnt require any additional power, it draws it solely from the mobo.

I understand now.  The 24 pin to 6 pin adapter is for the motherboard.  My concern at that point, however, is how much power the motherboard is able to deliver to the PCI-E slot.  But at least if it doesn't deliver enough power, nothing would break, and you'll know at that point if you should just buy a really cheap mATX board (~$55US)