Multiple different GPUs for running two different programs

Hi All, I'm struggling with this a little.

I assumed that if you had two different GPUs and connected them to two different Monitors then you would be able to use each GPU to run a different progarm on the different monitor. But that doesn't seem to be the case.

I thought by adding an AMD GPU connected to my second monitor then if I was watching Netflix on that screen then it would render on the AMD card, and then my Nvidia card wouldn't have as much trouble rendering a game on my primary monitor. But that doesn't seem to be the case - everything seems to get rendered on whatever my primary display adapter is. This makes my multi GPU set up rather pointless, so is there any way I can make them share the load? Also, would it be easier if they were both the same brand? Like, if I had both Nvidia cards would I be able to manage that through the Nvidia control panel, or would I still have the same issue?

Other topics seem to imply that if both monitors are connected to different adapters, then if a window is all on a screen then that GPU will render it, but info in task manager and GPU utilisation indicates that no matter what, the primary GPU renders everything.

Is there a way to do this, or have I just wasted time and money putting a second card into my PC? Thanks.

Don't forget that your CPU is needed for multitasking as well, so if you're getting a performance hit to your processor, a second graphics card wouldn't solve that.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

15 hours ago, fasauceome said:

Don't forget that your CPU is needed for multitasking as well, so if you're getting a performance hit to your processor, a second graphics card wouldn't solve that.

I did consider that before I did anything.

But when I'm getting slowdowns in game, it is the GPU hitting 100% and the CPU is nowhere near that. And the frame rate drop in games on my primary monitor is easily spotted when I start and stop videos playing on my second monitor.

I don't know if there's an easy way to do what I want - but I am aware that it may not even help since performance can be hit by more than just availability of computing power.

What you’re asking for basically cannot happen. The second GPU will do nothing unless it’s selected by the program to do it. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I have a feeling I might be. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

What you’re asking for basically cannot happen. The second GPU will do nothing unless it’s selected by the program to do it. Someone please correct me if I’m wrong, I have a feeling I might be. 

I did worry that this might be the case.

It doesn't seem logical to me that there's no way to do this, but it certainly is believable. I think I can get it to work the way I want in some games where you can pick the GPU, but most other applications just seem to default to the primary GPU.

I think there are other workarounds I could try like, I could have my second monitor just be a whole new VM running natively on the second GPU, but that probably wouldn't be a great user experience. I think the best option is probably to just replace both cards with a single more powerful card.

15 hours ago, Ekreed said:

Also, would it be easier if they were both the same brand? Like, if I had both Nvidia cards would I be able to manage that through the Nvidia control panel, or would I still have the same issue?

It would be much worse due to driver issues.

15 hours ago, Ekreed said:

Hi All, I'm struggling with this a little.

If you running Windows 10 there are guides to follow. You can do it from settings->display->graphic settings. Add each app you want to customize and choose it to run between high performance and power saving depending on what gpu you want to run. I think this will work.