All Activity Auto Update

MandoPanda

Currently, the "All Activity" button has an update feature; but it doesn't actually show the new posts automatically. The user is required to click a button for the new posts to show up.

The feature already checks for new posts in the background when the notification first pops up, so why can't there be an option for it to automatically show the new post(s)? There should be an option for it to automatically show the new posts in the list without requiring the individual to click the, "there are ~ updates to view. Click here to load them", button.

An issue one might think of is that the website might not actually retrieve the content until the user clicks on the button. The opposite is true. The data is loaded in the background when the initial notification, "there are ~ updates to view. Click here to load them", shows up.  You can prove that the data is loaded when the notification first shows up in this way: when you receive the notification, disconnect from the internet and then click on the update button. At that point, all of the new posts appear. This proves that the data is already loaded before the user clicks on the button. The act of clicking on the, "Click here to load them", button simply shows the data that has already been loaded previously.

My proposal is that there should be a switch that users can flip at the top of the "All Activity" page. This switch will allow for the new posts to automatically show up without the step of an extra click. Of course this would be an optional function of the "All Activity" stream, as some people may not want the stream to auto-update in this way because it might be annoying to them.

The benefits of having this type of auto-update feature to the "All Activities" stream comes down to streamlining the act of viewing all the content that enters this forum. Someone could have the "All Activity" stream up on a second monitor and may not want to have to mouse over to it to click on the "Click here to load them" button every minute or so just to see new content. Oftentimes, I find myself clicking the "Click here to load them" button just for one or two posts because of the amount of time I spend on the stream. It would be easier if the stream automatically updated so I didn't have to click for updates so often. I think this feature would make viewing the "All Activity" stream a more pleasurable experience for everyone who uses it.

Rest In Peace my old signature...                  September 11th 2018 ~ December 26th 2018

That would make sense, though it's not super simple to add because if you are scrolled below the top it would be very annoying for the posts to keep jumping down, and implementing scrolling for that is somewhat complicated.

I will pass it onto the forum software devs though.

HTTP/2 203