4:3 resolution without stretching for old games

HadesLV
Go to solution Solved by bellabichon,

The only working way that I know, would be to manually change your display resolution in the Windows settings. It's inconvenient, I know, but I think it's the only way. Anyone else should feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. 

Alot of older games do not have any kind of support for widescreens, and while alot of them do have widescreen mods/fixes, not all do, and those which do are not always complete. In particular I am trying to play a childhood favourite of mine Dungeon Siege 2, and even on steam where you would think they would have thought to implement a fix right into the game, since you're paying for it, they didn't(my fault really, should have read up on it previously, but it was cheap so whatever). I found some fixes online, but they were far from perfect. I know one solution is to force the game into windowed mode and then use a 4:3 resolution, but on my 1440p screen, 1280x1024 windowed looks so tiny that its unplayable.

So I am wondering if there is some way that I can 'simulate' a 4:3 resolution on my screen. What I am imagining is just having two big black bars on the sides of my screen, like you have with videos that are of a different aspect ratio. So that way, the game thinks I have a 4:3 resolution and I can 'fullscreen' it across the visible part of the screen and play like that. Is this something that is possible to do, or do I have to look for an old screen to play comfortably?

Thank you for any responses!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) Kingston HyperX Fury Black RGB 3200MHz

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 650W

Case: NZXT H440

SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot Drive); 1TB Samsung 970 EVO (Primary Game Drive). 1,5TB total SSD storage.

HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM; 4TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM. 7TB total HDD storage.

The only working way that I know, would be to manually change your display resolution in the Windows settings. It's inconvenient, I know, but I think it's the only way. Anyone else should feel free to correct me if i'm wrong. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

1 minute ago, bellabichon said:

Oh sweet, I didn't realize that it worked that way. I tried changing my resolution through Nvidia, and it just stretched the screen. Thanks, this is what I was looking for!

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) Kingston HyperX Fury Black RGB 3200MHz

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 650W

Case: NZXT H440

SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot Drive); 1TB Samsung 970 EVO (Primary Game Drive). 1,5TB total SSD storage.

HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM; 4TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM. 7TB total HDD storage.

Just now, HadesLV said:

Oh sweet, I didn't realize that it worked that way. I tried changing my resolution through Nvidia, and it just stretched the screen. Thanks, this is what I was looking for!

You're welcome! I've done it before to get emulators working right, so it should work for you. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)