EKWB GPU PWM fan control going nuts

Go to solution Solved by Jay Deah,

I tried the pwn fan connector on my strix card and it blew the fan hub on the Phoenix! I have an ASU’s board so I used AI Suite3 / fanxpert4 to plug it into a CHA-FAN connector and then in software linked GPu temp to that header. Worked perfectly.

Heya guys,
I have an EKWB block on my GPU with a 280mm radiator from their MLC Phoenix line. Now I got the extra PWM cable that can attach to GPU a couple weeks later and now the fans and pump are cycling from OFF to very fast for no reason. doesn't matter if I put it under load (GPU gets REALLY hot and throttles) or is idle and at a cool 30-35C. Anyone know anything I can do besides just plugging it back to my motherboard and setting a static speed again?

I forgot to mention, I have an EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition as well.

Edited by Kiyometa
more info

Try changing the fan curve for the gpu using the gpu manufacturer's tuning software.

Just now, crashahotrod said:

Try changing the fan curve for the gpu using the gpu manufacturer's tuning software.

I did, to no avail, even tries using MSI Afterburner, no fix.

I have also messaged EKWB tech support, but any other ideas would be welcome, because I wouldn't be surprised if they blame it on the GPU with no solution.

Did you connect it to the fan connector for the fan that would have been directly over the gpu die? Maybe there is independent fan control

Well, there was two connectors on the GPU board, one was a 2 Pin for the RGB light I'm assuming (it was right next to where the lighting was on the cooler) and then a mini 4 pin, which the GPU cable extension from EKWB fit, so I plugged it into that.
I have for the mean time plugging it back directly into MB and set static speed. Annoying. Still want to fix this.

I tried the pwn fan connector on my strix card and it blew the fan hub on the Phoenix! I have an ASU’s board so I used AI Suite3 / fanxpert4 to plug it into a CHA-FAN connector and then in software linked GPu temp to that header. Worked perfectly.

52 minutes ago, Jay Deah said:

Hmmm, thank you!, I may be forking the money for an ASUS board whenever the X570/X590 boards come out

I find it less annoying to just set a constant %.  I'm at about 900rpm if I really wanted to do something long I could bump it up higher but its really only 2-4C of a difference anyway.  Temps can jump pretty quickly just with background windows tasks it can make it ramp up and down.  Even as much as 10C just sitting in windows.

AMD 7950x / Asus Strix B650E / 64GB @ 6000c30 / 2TB Samsung 980 Pro Heatsink 4.0x4 / 7.68TB Samsung PM9A3 / 3.84TB Samsung PM983 / 44TB Synology 1522+ / MSI Gaming Trio 4090 / EVGA G6 1000w /Thermaltake View71 / LG C1 48in OLED

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

On 12/7/2018 at 9:43 AM, ewitte said:

I find it less annoying to just set a constant %.  I'm at about 900rpm if I really wanted to do something long I could bump it up higher but its really only 2-4C of a difference anyway.  Temps can jump pretty quickly just with background windows tasks it can make it ramp up and down.  Even as much as 10C just sitting in windows.

Forth the time being, I have it locked to 50%, My motherboard won't let me do anything but 25% increments, so yeah. Its fine, I is more because in my current case it is also the intake so I wanted it to be able to increase speeds a bit. But that won't be a problem soon with the new case I got. =D