HELP! Motherboard Spark and Burnmark

Recently, within the last 3 weeks I bought a Maximus VI Hero motherboard from Newegg.com. Yesterday I installed it in my computer that I put together will parts all from newegg. (i7-4770k, GTX 770, Maximus Vi Hero, CoolerMaster V700 PSU Phantom 820, Kraken x60 ect.) Upon turning it on using the the start button on the motherboard, there was a large spark, and a small amount of smoke coming from the 8-pin EATX12V plug for the CPU, in the top left corner of the motherboard. The system immediately shut down and I pulled out the power. There is now a burn mark right above the plug. I'm not quite sure if it is the PSU or the Motherboard, or infact me. Could someone help?

OOOHHH SHH**

AMD FX-8350 II ASUS R9-20x DCU2 TOP II Fractal Design R4 II Samsung 840 Evo 250gb SSD II Gigabyte 990FXA UD-3 II 8GB Corsair XMS II Cooler Master Seidon 120mm II ACER H236HL Monitor II Corsair K70 II Razer Deathadder II Kinect II 

Go check out my Build Log for my "Home Made Gaming POD"

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/83872-home-made-gaming-pod-build-log/

Make sure you have your cables done correctly as I do believe sometimes a 8 pin PCIE can go in the 8 pin ATX and then bang.

It was probably the PSU though I once had a coolmaster PSU it lasted a day before it blew up.

As that is a quality Motherboard it's unlikely to be that.

You will need replacements or repair as burn marks will mean a lot of current has passed through and stuff make have been fried or safety components blown out.

Gaming Rig:CPU: Xeon E3-1230 v2¦RAM: 16GB DDR3 Balistix 1600Mhz¦MB: MSI Z77A-G43¦HDD: 480GB SSD, 3.5TB HDDs¦GPU: AMD Radeon VII¦PSU: FSP 700W¦Case: Carbide 300R

Is the power supply still working? Did you plug in the 8pin connector fully to the motherboard? I can only suspect it's the motherboard that is short circuit. Take out all other components first and try booting up with another power supply.

I would take all the components out and do a bench test (m/board cardboard box) also check the back of the motherboard for scratches / damage, it could be possible it was scratched on the stand offs when installed (hopefully not)

Smell the PSU, if its smells like burned electrics then you could have shorted and blown the PSU (in a way hopefully its the PSU and not the other components)

Test the PSU seperatly and use some fans etc, and maybe a multimeter.

Can you upload any pics?

keep us updated, and if you can't figure it out RMA the components.

got to love Asus components

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Before checking the forums for replies, i brought the machine into the local computer shop to have them have a look. They said it was a defective motherboard. After arm wrestling with Newegg and Asus for 2 and a half hours over the burn marks being "Physical damage that voids the warranty" they finally took it back. I smelled the PSU, it doesn't smell burnt. I attached a file, containing a picture of the burnt spot. Newegg is giving me an option of which motherboard to purchase with the $200 (US) that the VI Hero costed. I'm thinking about an MSI z87 GD65, a Gigabyte Sniper, an MSI Mpower, or just trying my luck on another Hero. What do you guys think about the second purchase option? Should I check the PSU somehow?

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. Before checking the forums for replies, i brought the machine into the local computer shop to have them have a look. They said it was a defective motherboard. After arm wrestling with Newegg and Asus for 2 and a half hours over the burn marks being "Physical damage that voids the warranty" they finally took it back. I smelled the PSU, it doesn't smell burnt. I attached a file, containing a picture of the burnt spot. Newegg is giving me an option of which motherboard to purchase with the $200 (US) that the VI Hero costed. I'm thinking about an MSI z87 GD65, a Gigabyte Sniper, an MSI Mpower, or just trying my luck on another Hero. What do you guys think about the second purchase option? Should I check the PSU somehow?

post-54002-0-12737400-1389420914_thumb.j

Anyone wanna reply? 

get another hero.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

But would that really tell me if the psu is working? What if its just too much voltage for the CPU place? 

But would that really tell me if the psu is working? What if its just too much voltage for the CPU place? 

Plug*

get another hero.

You really think so? I've heard there's a lot of trouble with Asus boards, and it kind of shows in my experience stated yesterday lol

You really think so? I've heard there's a lot of trouble with Asus boards, and it kind of shows in my experience stated yesterday lol

i have a maximus vi formula. its one of the best boards avaliable right now. asus is probably the best renowned mobo company. even one of my ancient pcs had an asus board and that ones been running for more than 8 years straight and not even a hickup.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only a GTX 1080, just a single 1080, where my glorious PC once stood....

For that is all I need, For the Emperor of Man, Jen-Hsun Huang, protects. We march for Nvidia, and we shall know no fear!

i have a maximus vi formula. its one of the best boards avaliable right now. asus is probably the best renowned mobo company. even one of my ancient pcs had an asus board and that ones been running for more than 8 years straight and not even a hickup.

I suppose. Their reputation is kind of scarred with me, however.

You did check the red switch on the back of the PSU right ? as this

can be a very simple thing to miss i nearly done this my self putting mine together to notice it was set to 110v .

c00517964.jpg

VoltFix6b.jpg

Making sure it is showing 110/115v or 230/240v

Not saying you are silly ,but these things happen ...

Case: | TT Core x71 | Mobo: | Gigabyte Aorus Elite DDR4 | Cpu: 13600K | 1.270V | P-Core 5.6GHZ | E-Core 3.9GHZ | Cpu Block: EK Quantum Velocity2 | Ram: Team T-Force Vulcan Z 4x8GB 3200MHz DDR4 | Gpu: Gigabyte GTX G1 970 Bios Hacked 1.275V | Gpu Block: EK | Cooling: Custom Loop | Rads: 4 | PSU: Corsair RM 1000w

Umm if the psu caused it, u should stick to Seasonic for highest reliability. Corsair also uses rebranded seasonic psus for their high end psus.

Folding for LTT since April 2016.

You did check the red switch on the back of the PSU right ? as this

can be a very simple thing to miss i nearly done this my self putting mine together to notice it was set to 110v .

c00517964.jpg

VoltFix6b.jpg

Making sure it is showing 110/115v or 230/240v

Not saying you are silly ,but these things happen ...

Frankly my PSU does not have a switch such as that. It kind of rules that out.

Umm if the psu caused it, u should stick to Seasonic for highest reliability. Corsair also uses rebranded seasonic psus for their high end psus.

Yeah, the thing is I'm just not sure if it is the PSU or if its the MoBo. I'm scared to find out xD

Well a few things could have happened, you could have shorted something out or scrached the board when installing, or you got a lemon from day one.

test the PSU using a multimeter, or plug in some fans and stuff to run it.

check the PSU manual and check the voltage that comes from the correct pins against what the multimeter or voltmeater says.

Do you intend to do big time over clocking? if not something like a Sabertooth gen 3 would be easier to manage. if not any of the boards you suggested will be good, as long as they have the features you want.

got to love Asus components

Anyone wanna reply? 

you need to quote people otherwise they don't know you replied

Current Build: Case: Define R4 White/Window CPU: i5 3470 @4.0Ghz GPU: GTX 680 DCUII +500Mhz(Mem) Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO Monitor: Acer Monitor 1920x1080 MOBO: Asrock Z77 Extreme 4 Storage: 2TB HDD, 120GB 840 EVO (OS)

Future Build: 4670K, GTX 780 MSI TwinFrozr OC, Z87X-D3H, 8GB @1866Mhz, 120GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 750D, RM 650W, Custom Loop. White/Blue/Black Colour Scheme. I literally cannot wait *_*

could you ask your local computer shop to test your psu, chances are that they have a tester for it that won't blow up when you use a faulty psu.

#killedmywife #howtomakebombs #vgamasterrace