Multi GPU non SLI Gaming Performance

I've read so many forums, threads and discussions on the topic of SLI - the pro's and cons. My personal experience has NOT been enjoyable. BUT! I have found a somewhat workaround to this dilemma. Just turn it off! I'm running two 1080 Ti's and found that when I disable SLI in Nvidia control panel I get increased performance out of all my games.

The issue that I'm raising (and would really like to see Linus look into) is what kind of performance gains can you get in gaming by using multiple GPU's without running SLI. I'd like to see if there is something to this success I have had AND would it be beneficial to install a third card before going to a single 2080 Ti ( given they aren't even available). I'd like to play every game at max settings and the native 3440x1440 while maintaining 60+ FPS. Right now I can play at max settings in AC: Odyssey but I average 50 fps with drops around 35 fps.

7 minutes ago, Jaypower03 said:

Just turn it off! I'm running two 1080 Ti's and found that when I disable SLI in Nvidia control panel I get increased performance out of all my games.

._.

Yeah, it means you're running on one gpu so SLi's problems go away.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

Never had that issue myself. As two of any of my cards always perform better than one. Unless both cards are being underutilized and the cpu is causing an issue or a hard FPS limit. 

I only play games that are made correctly so sli always works. I’d rather max out a game and get 200 frames compared to 100-120. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

pretty sure thats just crappy sli code you experienced and the second card is probably gonna do nothing. Only exception are games with DX12 that use the explicit multi adapter and there are only 2 games I know of that use that.

Folding stats

Vigilo Confido