Built my first PC. Huge Shoutout

jSIMSj

I built my first PC over the weekend and just wanted to give a huge shoutout to everyone here. I’ve never owned a PC before and had very little knlowledge going into it but through a bunch of YouTube videos and this forum I gained not only the knowledge but the confidence to build it myself. Without all of your posts I wouldn’t have done it. Thank you all so much!

E0146573-22AB-416D-8BA2-B9E18856EC5E.jpeg

77599AD4-29A5-426C-9EC6-58B174B6AF42.jpeg

-= Moved to Build Logs =- 

Technically not a build log but it fits more appropriately.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

It looks really great! I hope it is serving you well! My ONLY thing about this is that I wish someone would have advised you getting the 6gb version instead of the 3gb for the 1060.. Please don't take this as rain on your parade, but if you just bought these you might be able to return in and purchase the 6gb version. 

16 minutes ago, DVA said:

It looks really great! I hope it is serving you well! My ONLY thing about this is that I wish someone would have advised you getting the 6gb version instead of the 3gb for the 1060.. Please don't take this as rain on your parade, but if you just bought these you might be able to return in and purchase the 6gb version. 

3 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i hate to be that one guy, but you really should swap the gtx 1060 3GB with the 6GB version or a Rx 580 8GB.

otherwise a great build

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with the 3gb version because I found a good Black Friday sale on it $180 and I don’t plan on doing too much gaming on it so saving some money on the graphics card was fine with me. I’ll look and see if I can find a 6gb version for a good price. 

1 minute ago, jSIMSj said:

Thanks for the suggestions. I went with the 3gb version because I found a good Black Friday sale on it $180 and I don’t plan on doing too much gaming on it so saving some money on the graphics card was fine with me. I’ll look and see if I can find a 6gb version for a good price. 

rx 580 8 GB should be 199$ if im not misstaken. its pretty much the same as the 6gb

Just now, GoldenLag said:

rx 580 8 GB should be 199$ if im not misstaken. its pretty much the same as the 6gb

Yeah I know. That’s what I was going to get but I’ll be streaming with the elgato 4k60 pro which I’ve read doesn’t support the Rx 580 do to it not having an encoder built in like the Gtx 10 series. If that’s not true I’ll definitely swap it. 

10 minutes ago, jSIMSj said:

Yeah I know. That’s what I was going to get but I’ll be streaming with the elgato 4k60 pro which I’ve read doesn’t support the Rx 580 do to it not having an encoder built in like the Gtx 10 series. If that’s not true I’ll definitely swap it. 

at least according to wiki. GCN (AMD macroarchitecture) has had ASIC encoding unit since 2011. so it should be fine. you can also do CPU encoding which is pretty much what is recommended fot the CPU you are using. 

its called VCE

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_Coding_Engine

so as long as you use software that has anything else than Cuda proprietary encoding it should be fine

15 minutes ago, jSIMSj said:

https://help.elgato.com/customer/portal/articles/2376867-elgato-game-capture-hd60-s-system-requirements-

elgato supports VCE 3.0 and later. so Polaris is supported. 

7 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

That link is for the hd60s which does support it but the 4k60 pro (which I have) only mentions Gtx 10 series or Vega. 

https://gaming.help.elgato.com/customer/en/portal/articles/2896948-elgato-game-capture-4k60-pro-—-system-requirements

1 minute ago, jSIMSj said:

That link is for the hd60s which does support it but the 4k60 pro (which I have) only mentions Gtx 10 series. 

ah, just doublechecked.

you need VCE 4.0

which is Vega only. 

unless you can find a cheap Vega. 1060 is the way then.

sorry for interrupting

Just now, GoldenLag said:

ah, just doublechecked.

you need VCE 4.0

which is Vega only. 

unless you can find a cheap Vega. 1060 is the way then.

sorry for interrupting

No not a problem at all. The more input the better. 

2 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

nice setup!

do you game on the tv or is that just there to look baller? :P 

Yeah that’s what I play on. Just using the PC for streaming and maybe a game here or there. 

Looks awesome man

Optical Drive Poll: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1006309-optical-drive-survey/

Main Rig (Pulsar)

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X MOBO: MSI MEG X570 Unify RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RG(4x8gb) 3200Mhz 16-16-16-32 GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S Chromax (LTT Edition) Storage: Intel 6000p 128gb boot drive, Intel 665p 1tb (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1tb, Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro M Tempered Glass PSU: EVGA SupeNOVA G1+ 750W OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit  

FreeNAS Server (The Vault)

CPU: Xeon E5-2603 v3 MOBO: MSI X99 Tomahawk RAM: G.Skill Aegis (4x8gb) 3000Mhz 16-18-18-38 GPU: EVGA GT 710 Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 LED Storage: Intel S3520 x2 for boot, x16 in RAIDZ for storage, Seagate Ironwolf 2tb (Striped will be a steam cache) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Tempered Glass PSU: Corsair CX750 750W