Wipe Surface Pro 2 Before Selling

CC268

Hey guys,

I am going to be selling my Surface Pro 2 and need to wipe it clean and do a fresh install of Windows 10 on it. Is wiping it during the clean install of Windows 10 sufficient? Or do I need to do something more?

Thanks

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

Well, it depends on how paranoid you are. You could use some software to overwritten a bit, so they can't use recuva or something like that

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

Well, it depends on how paranoid you are. You could use some software to overwritten a bit, so they can't use recuva or something like that

Honestly, I never had much on it. I'm not too concerned.

| Intel i5-6600K | NZXT Kraken X61 | MSI GTX 980TI | NZXT Kraken X41 | ASUS MAXIMUS VIII Hero Corsair Vengeance DDR4-3000 16GB | 

|Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | EVGA SuperNova G2 850W | Fractal Design Define S |

Wiping the drive is a very good thing to do on a machine you are selling.   You can use a Windows Media Creation Tool to take care of the wipe, during the process of installing Win10, be sure to delete ALL partitions prior to the installation.

Just now, CC268 said:

Honestly, I never had much on it. I'm not too concerned.

Then you're fine with just wiping it and reinstalling a os

Just now, kb5zue said:

Wiping the drive is a very good thing to do on a machine you are selling.   You can use a Windows Media Creation Tool to take care of the wipe, during the process of installing Win10, be sure to delete ALL partitions prior to the installation.

Roger that - this was my plan. Thanks for the help.

12 minutes ago, CC268 said:

Roger that - this was my plan. Thanks for the help.

Don't forget to mark it as solved?

A secure erase writes zeros in the drive, it makes sure data cannot be recovered. Also, the other person must be thinking the same and probably will wipe it out ...   

Seagate Technology | Official Forums Team

IronWolf Drives for NAS Applications - SkyHawk Drives for Surveillance Applications - BarraCuda Drives for PC & Gaming