Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

MSI GS65 second return

Hello, I am writing on this account because I have no idea what my old one was, so new account. Old LTT fan. 

Anyway, I’m in college, it’s my first semester, I worked a long time to buy this laptop from Best Buy. I am also a Best Buy employee. I thought it was a great deal. Who would pay $2500 for the razer equivalent for the same hardware? a laptop that has good battery life and great specs? $2k seemed like a good price. 

Well, the first one had a defective keyboard, didn’t make it through a month before keys started to die. 

Second one, now. Didn’t even make it through the first semester, and it’s of course Christmas season so I won’t be able to get the Razer for probably a week. The fan for the CPU completely failed. It started making a lot of grinding noises against the housing of the fan. I’m going to try to get all my info off the laptop before wiping it and returning it again. Thank God I purchased the 3 year accidental and extended warranty. 

The main purpose of this post, is a warning. Do not, I REPEAT.  DO NOT PURCHASE THIS LAPTOP, THE QUALITY OF THE RAZER IS SUPERIOR. 

Anyone have any clue why MSI just messed this one up so hard? 

Now I probably have to buy a chromebook to finish all my online courses, register for next semester, finish my final paper, basically do everything I need to do right now. And on top of all of that, shell out an additional 500 for the razer. 

12 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

Well, not that razer is that high quality. Thought of asus? Dell? Lg? 

I’m addicted to the 144Hz It’s tough. Nothing else compares. 

QC issues can happen in every model, guess you have a bad luck. Not to mention that MSI QC has dropped in recent days, Asus too

Razer laptops have trash quality, really really bad QC

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold

3 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

QC issues can happen in every model, guess you have a bad luck. Not to mention that MSI QC has dropped in recent days, Asus too

Razer laptops have trash quality, really really bad QC

Well, if the razer doesn’t pan out either. Is the Gigabyte Aero 15X a good alternative?

all laptops are lotteries now.  It's pretty pathetic that some of the $800 Dell and Lenovo business books are built better than gaming laptops (besides throttling issues of course).

If you're going to buy a gaming laptop these days, its best to buy them from a reseller that tests the parts and has a good QA and service period system like HIDevolution, Xotic PC and Gentech PC, and to avoid places like Best Buy, Newegg and Amazon, as they are not pretested for quality after they leave the MSI factory at all.

MSI is the only ODM where it's easy to unlock the bios and find ways to bypass the power and throttling limitations, and when they work, they usually have the best cooling.

Fans are a lottery.  MSI doesn't make the fans.  Sometimes fans fail.  Some of the AAVID fans on the GT72VR, 16L13 and GT73VR were known to eventually develop a spin down/spin up problem until eventually they stop spinning completely.  It's still unknown what causes this problem, whether it's a ground or voltage wire giving out, making the EC try to force spin the fans since it can't detect the RPM (that causes the spin up/down thing to happen) or whether the spindle gets dirt or something in it and starts wearing out.  I did open up my GT73VR fans and applied a small drop of Shin-Etsu G-30M to the motor (the same grease used to lubricate Sanwa arcade joystick parts) and reassembled the plastic washer.  I've had this laptop now for a year and a half and even though I did buy two spare fans from MSI, I have not had any problems with the fans at all.  But this isn't a post telling people that they should all take apart their brushless fans, apply shin-etsu g-30M or g-40m to the spindles and then reassemble, even though this will not hurt to do that.

I havent seen many fan problems on the Alienwares, but they are plagued with throttling and heatsink imbalance issues and I simply can't recommend an Alienware.  Anyone who buys one MUST get the premium service because you most likely *WILL* be using it.

eVGA and Gigabyte I can't speak for either.  However if you do go that route, please consider buying from a shop that tests the laptops and gives you a good warranty.  I recommend HIDevolution as they have a VERY good thermal paste upgrade system and liquid metal system where they make sure if you buy from them, their laptops will not overheat.  

That being said, I refuse to buy anymore laptops with soldered CPU's (BGA) from now on.  My next laptop will be whatever upcoming Clevo model that will be on Z390 chipset and 4 fans, and with Prema unthrottled Bios that only Prema Partner shops have (HIDevolution and Xotic PC are Prema partner shops.  Maybe Metabox too).

Haha only two returns so far? Your going to be doing many many more. The gs series is complete garbage.

5 hours ago, markr54632 said:

Haha only two returns so far? Your going to be doing many many more. The gs series is complete garbage.

Yeah i ordered the Blade 15 with 1070 Max Q i7-8750, 512GB SSD, 1080 144hz. Let’s hope it isn’t a total flop as well. 

9 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

all laptops are lotteries now.  It's pretty pathetic that some of the $800 Dell and Lenovo business books are built better than gaming laptops (besides throttling issues of course).

If you're going to buy a gaming laptop these days, its best to buy them from a reseller that tests the parts and has a good QA and service period system like HIDevolution, Xotic PC and Gentech PC, and to avoid places like Best Buy, Newegg and Amazon, as they are not pretested for quality after they leave the MSI factory at all.

MSI is the only ODM where it's easy to unlock the bios and find ways to bypass the power and throttling limitations, and when they work, they usually have the best cooling.

Fans are a lottery.  MSI doesn't make the fans.  Sometimes fans fail.  Some of the AAVID fans on the GT72VR, 16L13 and GT73VR were known to eventually develop a spin down/spin up problem until eventually they stop spinning completely.  It's still unknown what causes this problem, whether it's a ground or voltage wire giving out, making the EC try to force spin the fans since it can't detect the RPM (that causes the spin up/down thing to happen) or whether the spindle gets dirt or something in it and starts wearing out.  I did open up my GT73VR fans and applied a small drop of Shin-Etsu G-30M to the motor (the same grease used to lubricate Sanwa arcade joystick parts) and reassembled the plastic washer.  I've had this laptop now for a year and a half and even though I did buy two spare fans from MSI, I have not had any problems with the fans at all.  But this isn't a post telling people that they should all take apart their brushless fans, apply shin-etsu g-30M or g-40m to the spindles and then reassemble, even though this will not hurt to do that.

I havent seen many fan problems on the Alienwares, but they are plagued with throttling and heatsink imbalance issues and I simply can't recommend an Alienware.  Anyone who buys one MUST get the premium service because you most likely *WILL* be using it.

eVGA and Gigabyte I can't speak for either.  However if you do go that route, please consider buying from a shop that tests the laptops and gives you a good warranty.  I recommend HIDevolution as they have a VERY good thermal paste upgrade system and liquid metal system where they make sure if you buy from them, their laptops will not overheat.  

That being said, I refuse to buy anymore laptops with soldered CPU's (BGA) from now on.  My next laptop will be whatever upcoming Clevo model that will be on Z390 chipset and 4 fans, and with Prema unthrottled Bios that only Prema Partner shops have (HIDevolution and Xotic PC are Prema partner shops.  Maybe Metabox too).

I feel for you man. But I work at Best Buy, and I get great discounts and stuff, and the accidental coverage is great for me. I need a portable powerhouse for CAD at school and my internship. That’s why I got so angry at MSI. I loved my GT72 2PC. But it’s pretty old now and it’s really really REALLY slow at booting up. 

11 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

all laptops are lotteries now

^^this. Sometimes a cheapo laptop can last longer than an expensive mobile workstation

11 hours ago, Falkentyne said:

MSI

Hinge problem. For several years already

My Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Nvidia RTX3060Ti 8GB PNY XLR8 Gaming Epic-X RGB 16GB (8X2) 3200MHz CL16 Team Group MP33 Pro 1TB
ID-Cooling SE-224-XT White Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX Tecware Forge M2 mATX White Case Montech Century 650W Gold