Some Games crashing to desktop or freezing but not all.

Hey There everyone

I am new here and I hope I have posted this in the right location.

Im having a very strange problem with a friends pc I built him a while back

Recently I went over to his place and cleaned his PC for him, Im always careful with removing and re inserting all components

So after a week he calls me up saying some games are crashing
These games include Overwatch and Need for Speed Payback
Overwatch will crash with a prompt saying "render device lost"
Need for speed will just freeze and then you have to end task.

BUT Assassins creed odyssey which is a high end game will run fine with no errors and a few other games like subnautica.

I went back to his house and saw he was overclocking his CPU so I dropped it back to normal and also applied new paste to the CPU (Cooler is a CM 212 evo)
We loaded up Overwatch and NFS and both were running fine, problem solved.

so i thought...

Two days later I get a message from him saying it is doing it again...

can anyone please assist me, I'm losing my mind over this issue and I feel responsible and stressed out

Could this have anything to do with thermal paste not doing its job correctly?
Also his drives are up to date but I am planning on doing a format too ( not sure it would help due to the problem happening after a clean)

His rig:
z270 msi tamohawk
intel i5 7600k
16gb ddr4 corsair veng 3000mhz
asus strix 1080gtx
Cant remember the PSU but its a antec 600w if I'm correct

Any advice would be great. Thank you.:??: 

Laurence

3 minutes ago, deedee123 said:

oops didnt mean to post that

;) everyone believes you! Including me

?

BTW That is most likely not "his" real picture!

I suggest you reinstall games

Reinstall drivers

Reinstall one version previous driver

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

What does that mean?

That is what probably caused the problem IMHO

Hi Canada

Thank you for your reply

do you think the CPU is permanently damaged now?

Or should I try applying my thermal compound to try manage heat.

5 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

;) everyone believes you! Including me

?

BTW That is most likely not "his" real picture! 

I suggest you reinstall games

Reinstall drivers

Reinstall one version previous driver

Canada that is me in the photo! I logged in with my google account XD XD XD

I think im also going to try format his entire system drive

If this doesnt help then I think its time to try return the CPU

2 minutes ago, laurence.piras89 said:

do you think the CPU is permanently damaged now?

You could make an argument that his O/C'ing damaged it.

He could make an argument that your thermal paste damaged it.

Its unclear as to the reasons, but you just have to take it step by step.

Please play the games and see the issue for yourself.

Then analyze the situation.

But as I stated above, do, drivers, reinstall games, look at temps with a software program or take a heat gun and measure temps. See if the fans are blowing, especially the cpu fan, have a general look, see if its square, hows the airflow for the case fans, airflow for the cpu, anything blocking vents, check for dust, check for wires routed out of the way.

Just now, Canada EH said:

You could make an argument that his O/C'ing damaged it.

He could make an argument that your thermal paste damaged it.

Its unclear as to the reasons, but you just have to take it step by step.

Please play the games and see the issue for yourself.

Then analyze the situation.

But as I stated above, do, drivers, reinstall games, look at temps with a software program or take a heat gun and measure temps. See if the fans are blowing, especially the cpu fan, have a general look, see if its square, hows the airflow for the case fans, airflow for the cpu, anything blocking vents, check for dust, check for wires routed out of the way.

I dont understand how a pea of thermal paste could damage it but hey anything is possible! :/

Ive recently removed all dust from vents and heat sinks and all fans so the case is squeaky clean.

I might also try buying new thermal compound cause mine is rather old so I don't know if they expire, but I've always kept it nicely sealed.

Thank you for all the options Canada ill definitely try some of these!

I dont think heat is main issue here.

I would grab a small partition og had drive, test with reinstall windows and games(different source maybe). to narrow down the possibilities first

2 minutes ago, dgsddfgdfhgs said:

I dont think heat is main issue here.

I would grab a small partition og had drive, test with reinstall windows and games(different source maybe). to narrow down the possibilities first

Thanks!

I will definitely give the hard drive a format. he has everything backed up on a his storage drives

overclocking damage isn't the issue here. the whole operating system would have crashed instead of just the games and since AC Odyssey runs fine i know that's not the issue since that game will make the cpu hot as balls compared to the other two games.

we need to first know just what the hell you did to this guys computer lol. i hope you didn't mindlessly run any registry cleaners.

"render device lost" sounds like a driver issue to me. google display driver uninstaller and remove the driver and install the newest one. google directx june and reinstall that crap too. judging by his hardware he's on windows 10 or a modded windows 7 (i wish he was but he't not lol) so preventing windows from installing a garbage default geforce driver after uninstalling it will always happen after the reboot UNLESS you go into group policy and find "prevent installation of drivers not described by other policy settings and enable UNTIL you are about to install the new driver, then disable the policy ( i wait a minute for my system to fully boot and give a driver install error message) you also have to completely KILL windows update from (before you reboot after uninstalling with ddu)  running by editing the registry to disallow the windows update service, BITS, update orchestrator and windows update medic service by setting their startup value to 4. thats how to truly install fresh graphics drivers in windows 10 without windows 10 reinstalling their built in bullshit. you don't have to perform those lengthy steps to ensure the driver reinstalls fine, running ddu and reinstalling should be fine, but you'll have to deal with windows 10 reinstalling an nvidia driver when you reboot.

remove and reinstall all microsoft visual c++ shit for safe measure. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

if none of that works then you broke the mans computer lol so reformat it and put wiindows 7 on it :D

1 hour ago, DukeJukem said:

overclocking damage isn't the issue here. the whole operating system would have crashed instead of just the games and since AC Odyssey runs fine i know that's not the issue since that game will make the cpu hot as balls compared to the other two games.

we need to first know just what the hell you did to this guys computer lol. i hope you didn't mindlessly run any registry cleaners.

"render device lost" sounds like a driver issue to me. google display driver uninstaller and remove the driver and install the newest one. google directx june and reinstall that crap too. judging by his hardware he's on windows 10 or a modded windows 7 (i wish he was but he't not lol) so preventing windows from installing a garbage default geforce driver after uninstalling it will always happen after the reboot UNLESS you go into group policy and find "prevent installation of drivers not described by other policy settings and enable UNTIL you are about to install the new driver, then disable the policy ( i wait a minute for my system to fully boot and give a driver install error message) you also have to completely KILL windows update from (before you reboot after uninstalling with ddu)  running by editing the registry to disallow the windows update service, BITS, update orchestrator and windows update medic service by setting their startup value to 4. thats how to truly install fresh graphics drivers in windows 10 without windows 10 reinstalling their built in bullshit. you don't have to perform those lengthy steps to ensure the driver reinstalls fine, running ddu and reinstalling should be fine, but you'll have to deal with windows 10 reinstalling an nvidia driver when you reboot.

remove and reinstall all microsoft visual c++ shit for safe measure. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads

if none of that works then you broke the mans computer lol so reformat it and put wiindows 7 on it :D

Hey DickKickem :)

Thank you so much for the In depth answer

One thing I never did is touch the software, it was purely a computer case clean, dust removal and thermal paste on the CPU

He claims it happened after I cleaned it. dunno if he has secretly gone and installed stuff after the clean!

I will reformat for him as soon as I get the chance and Yeah I know how shitty windows is when installing their crappy drivers so ill make sure i put all the proper drives on!

I think I will also update his bios, that could help I think.

Ill get back to you soon and let you know if any of your answers help him out :)

Just now, laurence.piras89 said:

Hey DickKickem :)

Thank you so much for the In depth answer

One thing I never did is touch the software, it was purely a computer case clean, dust removal and thermal paste on the CPU

He claims it happened after I cleaned it. dunno if he has secretly gone and installed stuff after the clean!

I will reformat for him as soon as I get the chance and Yeah I know how shitty windows is when installing their crappy drivers so ill make sure i put all the proper drives on!

I think I will also update his bios, that could help I think.

Ill get back to you soon and let you know if any of your answers help him out :)

sounds good. i didn't know you literally meant  "clean" when you cleaned his computer. i thought it was a software based "clean" not a dusting etc lol. my bad. i think the display driver is just the issue....but who knows. i don't think a reformat is necessary just yet. if he has a system restore point before the day u cleaned it i'd try that as well.

40 minutes ago, DukeJukem said:

sounds good. i didn't know you literally meant  "clean" when you cleaned his computer. i thought it was a software based "clean" not a dusting etc lol. my bad. i think the display driver is just the issue....but who knows. i don't think a reformat is necessary just yet. if he has a system restore point before the day u cleaned it i'd try that as well.

Ill definitely try a system restore point before an actual format! Thanks for the tip :)

7 hours ago, DukeJukem said:

i hope you didn't mindlessly run any registry cleaners.

Shit! I do that all the time ?

remove and reinstall all microsoft visual c++ shit for safe measure.

I see that in my list of programs, always wondered what it did

put wiindows 7 on it :D

??

5 hours ago, laurence.piras89 said:

he has secretly gone and installed stuff after the clean!

That is the thing right, you built the pc to the best of your ability, then they take over and use the pc.

Overclocking

Installing

Virus' from shady websites - Do a Virus Scan!

Whatever else, like maybe they dropped a screw into the case by accident.

I hope this doesnt go down a bad road and friendship is at risk, because who's to blame no one knows.

They blame you, you blame him then resentments build then your part in the play becomes well you did nothing and he did everything, that is how resentments go. Then before you know it you are at a party, drinking hard, and a fight breaks out between you and him, bruised eyes, fat lips. Oh wait a minute, ok ok thats another story ;)

There is a lesson there.

Going into business with friends and family.

Buying/selling from friends and family.

Fixing things for friends and family. Renovations for example, vehicles.

Whatever else can go sideways.

41 minutes ago, Canada EH said:

Shit! I do that all the time ?

I see that in my list of programs, always wondered what it did

??

That is the thing right, you built the pc to the best of your ability, then they take over and use the pc.

Overclocking

Installing

Virus' from shady websites - Do a Virus Scan!

Whatever else, like maybe they dropped a screw into the case by accident.

I hope this doesnt go down a bad road and friendship is at risk, because who's to blame no one knows.

They blame you, you blame him then resentments build then your part in the play becomes well you did nothing and he did everything, that is how resentments go. Then before you know it you are at a party, drinking hard, and a fight breaks out between you and him, bruised eyes, fat lips. Oh wait a minute, ok ok thats another story ;)

There is a lesson there.

Going into business with friends and family.

Buying/selling from friends and family.

Fixing things for friends and family. Renovations for example, vehicles.

Whatever else can go sideways.

Well lets hope it doesnt come to this! At worst if it is hardware then I think majority of the parts are under waranty so we will just get the CPU replaced! But I will let all of you know after Ive run all the tips you guys have given me what the outcome will be :)

• 1 month later...

Hey Everyone

Long time no speak!

So after a while I eventually got back to my friends place, I gave the computer a nice good ol' format, I updated and reset his bios and installed all the fundamental and latest drivers

I am happy to say that nothing crashes anymore and all games are running smooth

Thanks to all of you who gave me advice on this thread and offered different solutions. Much appreciated :)

Regards

Laurence