Splitting xbox headset into pc - TRS vs TRRS - HELP! (PHOTO)

hazeyez

I've been trying to solve this dilemma for months. Well, I gave up the last time.

I have a Turtle Beach XO xbox headset (or whatever model?) And I wanted to hook it up to my pc for gaming.

I was told just get a one female to two male 3.5mm audio splitter, so I did. They even said a TRS splitter would work. So, headset into female, one male into audio jack in, one male into mic jack in.

THE ISSUE: The mic doesn't really work! When I say "really" it's because it is very low quality... for example when using voice recorder. But when I increase the mic levels and boost in the windows > sound menu, then I can actually get a recording in voice recorder.

However, the mic does not work on speech recognition or games.

SO - came on here, went on computer audiophile - they said I need a TRRS splitter - not a TRS.

Is this correct? I don't see why it matters if the headset (speaker) and mic are being split into two separate channels? And why does voice recorder pick up my voice? (Although with some static)

That is my main point - why TRRS if the speaker and mic are being split into two separate channels?

Are the audio & mic jacks on the pc rear and front IO panels TRRS? I can't find specs.

You see the photo below where I drew a diagram showing the headset TRRS cable going into a TRS extension then the 3.5mm TRS splitter.

Maybe since the headset is a male TRRS plug, the female part of the splitter has to be TRRS to match - then TRS x2 male plugs out? That would make sense, I guess. Or do the male plugs out have to be TRRS as well?

Please help!

headset.jpg

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

28 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

I've been trying to solve this dilemma for months. Well, I gave up the last time.

I have a Turtle Beach XO xbox headset (or whatever model?) And I wanted to hook it up to my pc for gaming.

I was told just get a one female to two male 3.5mm audio splitter, so I did. They even said a TRS splitter would work. So, headset into female, one male into audio jack in, one male into mic jack in.

THE ISSUE: The mic doesn't really work! When I say "really" it's because it is very low quality... for example when using voice recorder. But when I increase the mic levels and boost in the windows > sound menu, then I can actually get a recording in voice recorder.

However, the mic does not work on speech recognition or games.

SO - came on here, went on computer audiophile - they said I need a TRRS splitter - not a TRS.

Is this correct? I don't see why it matters if the headset (speaker) and mic are being split into two separate channels? And why does voice recorder pick up my voice? (Although with some static)

That is my main point - why TRRS if the speaker and mic are being split into two separate channels?

Are the audio & mic jacks on the pc rear and front IO panels TRRS? I can't find specs.

You see the photo below where I drew a diagram showing the headset TRRS cable going into a TRS extension then the 3.5mm TRS splitter.

Maybe since the headset is a male TRRS plug, the female part of the splitter has to be TRRS to match - then TRS x2 male plugs out? That would make sense, I guess. Or do the male plugs out have to be TRRS as well?

Please help!

headset.jpg

your headset extension does not allow mic passthrough as it only has 2 black rings 3 rings means mic passthrough unless it has its own dedicated plug, but also your sound adaptor is to go from aux to (Left right) audio that older speaker systems use / or high value ones

5 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

headset.thumb.jpg.e0f650720f92a86a972a45436e7cab5f.jpg.b2ef52d9e811aa7117358e66b9068cd6.jpg

14 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

your headset extension does not allow mic passthrough as it only has 2 black rings 3 rings means mic passthrough unless it has its own dedicated plug, but also your sound adaptor is to go from aux to (Left right) audio that older speaker systems use / or high value ones

@WickedStarfish so not only the extension must be TRRS ( three black rings ) to allow mic pass-through - but does the 3.5mm 1 female to 2 male splitter have to be TRRS as well?

OR does the splitter have to be TRRS female input, to 2x TRS male out.. this splitting the channels into two? Or should the 3.5mm splitter be TRRS on both the female AND male 2x out?

CPU: Intel i5-9600k | MoBo: Gigabyte Aorus Elite z390 | RAM: 16gb (4 x 4gb) Crucial Ballistix Sport LT DDR4-2400

GPU: Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti | Storage: 500gb Samsung 860 vNand SSD x2 & 1tb WD Caviar Blue HDD

Chassis: NZXT h700i White w/ RGB LED | Cooling: Corsair H100i Pro RGB AIO & 6x Corsair AF120 fans White LED

Screens: 2x 27" Acer HA270 Ultra Slim LED | Peripherals: MSI Interceptor RGB DS4200 Key & D200 Mouse

5 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

@WickedStarfish so not only the extension must be TRRS ( three black rings ) to allow mic pass-through - but does the 3.5mm 1 female to 2 male splitter have to be TRRS as well?

OR does the splitter have to be TRRS female input, to 2x TRS male out.. this splitting the channels into two? Or should the 3.5mm splitter be TRRS on both the female AND male 2x out?

you could always see by removing the extension from the setup and seeing if the mic works

42 minutes ago, WickedStarfish said:

you could always see by removing the extension from the setup and seeing if the mic works

@WickedStarfish I figured there was a problem with your original response... you are not seeing what I am clearly explaining.

Not only is there an extension, there is a splitter. There is a splitter because the PC has separate mic input and speaker output... there is not headset I/O plug on the pc. That is the reason for the splitter.

Do you know what TRS and TRRS are? You must because you understand the difference of the pole having two or three black rings.

The headset is TRRS two Rings for mic and speaker. 

Please refer to my original post and answer the question of you understand what I am asking.

10 minutes ago, hazeyez said:

@WickedStarfish I figured there was a problem with your original response... you are not seeing what I am clearly explaining.

Not only is there an extension, there is a splitter. There is a splitter because the PC has separate mic input and speaker output... there is not headset I/O plug on the pc. That is the reason for the splitter.

Do you know what TRS and TRRS are? You must because you understand the difference of the pole having two or three black rings.

The headset is TRRS two Rings for mic and speaker. 

Please refer to my original post and answer the question of you understand what I am asking.

what i was saying is see if the microphone works without using the extension cable as that will tell you if you need to work out a fix to fix your distance problem (extension) or just a new method of fixing the problem in general (extension plus splitter)

As Looking at the splitter i think it isnt a audio and mic splitter but infact a stereo audio to left right audio splitter (as in a cable to plug a phone into a stereo system for audio only)

I tried doing a simular thing but had no fixes, eventually I ordered a Corsiar ST100 to fix the problem 

2 hours ago, WickedStarfish said:

what i was saying is see if the microphone works without using the extension cable as that will tell you if you need to work out a fix to fix your distance problem (extension) or just a new method of fixing the problem in general (extension plus splitter)

As Looking at the splitter i think it isnt a audio and mic splitter but infact a stereo audio to left right audio splitter (as in a cable to plug a phone into a stereo system for audio only)

I tried doing a simular thing but had no fixes, eventually I ordered a Corsiar ST100 to fix the problem 

@WickedStarfish I am trying to avoid buying a headset for pc.

The extension makes no difference I am saying as it is TRS, just as the splitter is.

The headset is TRRS being plugged into TRS.. that is the issue I am trying to resolve

Yeah the extension isn't carrying the mic signal you need a TRRS:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RXNUXGS/ref=twister_B01611VL68?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If when you bypass the extension, just use the splitter, and things still don't work the splitter may not be properly routed. It's strange that they are colored red in white, which usually signifies left and right.

One of these should work:
https://www.amazon.com/MillSO-3-5mm-Jack-Adapter-CTIA/dp/B071NDLCGC/ref=sr_1_4?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1543528117&sr=1-4&keywords=mic+headphone+splitter

Main PC: Corsair 900D | ProArt Z690-Creator | Intel 13900K | RTX 4090 | Trident Z5 (2x32GB) | 1TB 980 Pro, 2TB Sabrent Rocket 4+, 2TB 980 Pro, 1TB Sabrent Rocket | HX1200i

Capture PC: Meshify XL | Designare TRX40 | AMD 3960X | 2xRTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (4x16GB) | 2TB 970 Evo Plus, 1TB 970 Evo Plus | Dual HDMI 4K Plus LT, 2xElgato 4K 60 Pro, HX850

Media / Render PC: Corsair 900D (shared) | ASRock X399M | AMD 2970WX | RTX 4070 TI | Trident Z (2x16GB) | 2TB Samsung 970 Evo | 2xElgato HD60 Pro | HX750
Full Room Watercooling: EK X3 400 | EK-XTOP Revo Dual D5 | 4xHardware Labs 560GTX | 16xSilentWings 4 Pro  | EVGA 450 B3

Peripherals: Logitech G502 X |  Wooting 60HE | Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 | Logitech G502 Wireless | Logitech MX Keys Mechanical

Displays: Asus XG35VQ | 2xLG 24UD58-B | LG 65UH6030 | Asus VH242H | BenQ GW2480 | HP 22CWA | Kenowa CNC-1080P | Asus VC39H

Audio Interfaces : RME Fireface UFX+, Scarlett 18i20, RME HDSPe RayDAT, RME HDSPe MADI FX, RME ADI-648, RME ADI-192 DD

Audio Playback: 2xYamaha HS5 & Yamaha HS8s | Sennheiser HD820, Sennheiser IE 500 Pro, Ultimate Ears RR CIEMs