Advise on case

Xanthanite

Hey guys!

I was previously pretty set on buying a corsair 750D because it was large and I really loved the style of it. More recently, however, I've been looking into some others because I saw some people having cooling issues with the corsair 750D. I'm very worried about overheating because I do plan on overclocking. Plus I heard noise levels on the 750D aren't so hot either and I record videos/stream in my room right near my PC so I'm worried about this as well. I've had to deal with a computer that overheats constantly for over a year now and it's just been a huge mess and I'm genuinely sick of it. Is the thermaltake A500 a good alternative to the corsair 750D? I need a LARGE case because i'm getting a Noctua NH-D15 cooler so i'm worried about how much that will be constrained/restricted inside different cases. Please let me know if either of these cases is just fine/which one is better and if you know of any other cases that are sleek/nice looking but also have great cooling, good space and good cable management. Would also still appreciate having a side window since I want to show my build off lol. Thanks!

The Noctua cooler should fit in any standard width case so I wouldn't worry about that. Obviously look up measurements etc and you can use PCPartPicker to look at builds with the case and cooler you want to see how it fits.

If you are worried about temps and noise I would suggest looking at a closed loop CPU liquid cooler, they are about £100, as long as you have the space for the radiator it will meet your requirements.

If you want another case to consider I am using an NZXT H500 and think it's great, its small enough to fit on my desk top but fits a full ATX board and its really easy to hide cables in it.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

I guess I am wondering just how big you want to go?  I can think of at least a few additional cases that may work for you depending on your tastes and total size limitations.  I have always liked the designs of the Fractal Design Cases and the Define R6 or the be Quiet! Dark Base Pro.

BLACK and BLUE Build

i9-9900K - 5.2 Ghz @ 1.305 vCore, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro (@ 3200 Mhz), Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Extreme, EVGA RTX 2080Ti XC Ultra, Samsung 970 Pro, Samsung 970 EVO, Dual Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Tower 900, AX1500i

VR Build

i7-8700K - 5.1 Ghz @ 1.36 vCore, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ RGB (@ 3200 Mhz), Asus Maximus X Hero (Wi Fi ac), 2x EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC Black Edition, Toshiba NVME, Custom Loop Cooling, Thermaltake Core P5, HX1000i

FreeNAS Server Build

Pentium G5400, 8 GB Kingston HyperX Fury (@ 2400 MHz), Asrock H370M-ITX/ac, Intel 320 System SSD, 4x Hitachi 7200K 4 TB HDD, Thermaltake TR2 650W, Cooler Master Master Liquid Lite 120, Bit Fenix Prodigy

Daughter's First BuildCore i3-6100, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX (@ 2133 MHz), Asrock H270M-ITX/ac, XFX RX-580 GTS, Custom Watercooling (Both CPU and GPU) 2x Corsair Force LS, PowerSpec 550w, NZXT H200i

9 minutes ago, Xanthanite said:

I need a LARGE case because i'm getting a Noctua NH-D15 cooler so i'm worried about how much that will be constrained/restricted inside different cases. 

Dimensionaly this is absolutely false. You can fit a Noctua NH-D15 in a small ATX case like the Fractal Design Meshify C. Plenty of other mid tower ATX cases on the market can fit a 165mm tall air cooler. 

Now if you need something like more hard drive space, that's valid. I would personally suggest the Fractal Design R6 in that case Can hold up to 11 HDD's without interfering with the CPU cooler) However having a full system spec, budget for the case and location would help in choosing the best case for you

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

Just gonna reply with my PCpartpicker list. I hope it helps! Also for more reference, I really don't like watercooling lol I try to stay away from that. I prefer air cooling because of leaks and potential hazards. I'd just rather not ever have a mess inside my case to clean up unless it's some built up dust!

Just now, Xanthanite said:

I prefer air cooling because of leaks and potential hazards. I'd just rather not ever have a mess inside my case to clean up unless it's some built up dust!

That's a fair concern but if you buy a closed loop cooler like the Corsair H100i it is just plug and play, the chances of it leaking are almost 0 and if it does for some wild reason when you RMA you'd get them to pay for the damage it did.

|| Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600 || RAM: 32GB (4x8GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengance (3000) || Motherboard: ASUS Prime B450-Plus || Graphics Card: Gigabyte RTX2070 || Storage: 750GB SSD (2 Drives), 3TB HDD (2 Drives) || Case: NZXT H500 || Power Supply: be quiet! Pure Power 11 600W || 

1 minute ago, Xanthanite said:

Just gonna reply with my PCpartpicker list. I hope it helps! Also for more reference, I really don't like watercooling lol I try to stay away from that. I prefer air cooling because of leaks and potential hazards. I'd just rather not ever have a mess inside my case to clean up unless it's some built up dust!

Like others have been saying, the Define R6 is a great balance of quiet and airflow. On water cooling, AIO coolers will function for years with almost no chance of a leak, most likely the pump will fail before anything leaks.

it's time

13 minutes ago, Xanthanite said:

You can definitely fit all of that in a mid tower ATX case

• Fractal Design Meshify C TG
  • Phanteks Enthoo Pro M TG
  • Coolermaster H500, H500P Mesh

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

26 minutes ago, RollTime said:

Like others have been saying, the Define R6 is a great balance of quiet and airflow. On water cooling, AIO coolers will function for years with almost no chance of a leak, most likely the pump will fail before anything leaks.

I really appreciate all the advice. Definitely will look into the Define R6 as I really like it's layout. No SSD mounting brackets on the back though like the corsair 750D but I do see it has sound dampening material which will definitely be helpful. Small price to pay for better sound dampening and a generally good case.

Edit: It does have SSD mounting slots! Even better :)

1 minute ago, Xanthanite said:

I really appreciate all the advice. Definitely will look into the Define R6 as I really like it's layout. No SSD mounting brackets on the back though like the corsair 750D but I do see it has sound dampening material which will definitely be helpful. Small price to pay for better sound dampening and a generally good case.

It has 11 3.5 inch slots, you can adapt one of those to 2.5 inch easily. And yes, it's a very good case. I actually have one on the way for my new build, so rest assured I'm convinced of its quality!

it's time

1 hour ago, Xanthanite said:

No SSD mounting brackets on the back

It's got those

19076275-8feb-49a0-9983-664c3dcd0dad

You can also put those sleds on top of the PSU shroud in the front